MS IE6 will not install w Winetricks

Questions about Wine on Linux
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

MS IE6 will not install w Winetricks

Post by Stan1581 »

Hello
Error when trying to install IE6 using Winetricks.
Error is;
sha1sum mismatch! Rename /home/user/.cache/winetricks/msls31/InstMsiA.exe and try again.
Then install fails.

Ubuntu 12.04 and Wine 1.4.1

(I am trying to install this to run a module on Incredible Charts.com)
dimesio

Re: MS IE6 will not install w Winetricks

Post by dimesio »

Did you do what it told you to do?
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Hi dimesio and thank you for replying.
I tried two things;

1. renamed instmsia.exe to instmsia_copy.exe (don't know what else to rename to?)
The install failed again with exactly the same error msg.

2.deleted the folder msls31 folder altogether.
Winetricks simply went through the download routine again and got exactly the same error msg again.

Used the winetricks gui in both instances. Not very good on the terminal yet.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Get the latest winetricks from http://winetricks.googlecode.com/svn/tr ... winetricks and try again. If it still doesn't work, file a bug at http://winetricks.org.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

There's a boatload of these errors lately, Microsoft is doing a spring cleaning.

No need to report any of these problems for the next few days, I'm trying to clean them all up already.
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Hi DanKegel - just tried IE6 again, but failed. Just wondering if cleaning has happened?, or should I try something else.
Thanks,
Stan
equaint

Post by equaint »

Similar issue described here:
http://code.google.com/p/winetricks/iss ... ail?id=255

For me, winetricks was failing because a 404 was returned upon requesting download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/InstMsiA.exe

So, I found the file here:
http://web.archive.org/web/201107160713 ... stMsiA.exe

...and made a /etc/hosts entry for 127.0.0.1 for download.microsoft.com so winetricks would instead pull the file from my own box running lampp.

Re-ran my IE6 install and it installed properly. It subsequently failed on a service pack or something (since that file is also apparently gone), but no biggie for me as I use the browser for vulnerability testing.

I did have to manually create shortcuts to IEXPLORE.EXE because it failed on the SP, but again, no biggie.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon though.
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Hi equaint and thank you for your post.
I downloaded instmsia.
Would really appreciate some instruction on;
"...and made a /etc/hosts entry for 127.0.0.1 for download.microsoft.com so winetricks would instead pull the file from my own box running lampp."
Thanks, Stan.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi Stan1581,

redirecting microsoft.com to your own web server (that is what equaint did) might be a bit overkill. It should be enough to copy the downloaded file to "~/.cache/winetricks/xyz/" (winetricks creates a sub directory for every app to be installed). For ie6 you probably need to download a few different Instmsia.exes and put them in the right directories.

I just tried the current winetricks script which you can download from https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ and ie6 should work again, please download the script and make it either executable (chmod +x ...) or run as bash winetricks.txt ... (assuming you saved it as winetricks.txt).
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Hi lahmbi5678
I'm sorry , but I just don't understand any of that. I am going to have to google pretty much everything you said in that last post. Will try over the weekend.

The downloaded file is already in winetricks folder?
A few different Instmsia.exes? Appears to be only one required?
Where is the winetricks script in that link. It says to download wine 1.3, but I already have wine 1.4? How do you download that script - is it just a cut and paste somewhere? what is "run as bash winetricks?
toppa

Post by toppa »

I got this working so I thought I'd share.

1. You need to download InstMsiA.exe from the URL equaint provided (since the URL wine is using to download it from microsoft.com is no longer valid)

2. Then in your home directory's .cache/winetricks/ folder, create a subfolder named "msls31". Then copy InstMsiA.exe into it. Then the ie6 install should run successfully.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi Stan1581,

sorry for being too technical, the winetricks ie6 installation actually consists of a few parts, this may be too complicated for an unexperienced user.

I'd really recommend you to download the latest version of winetricks, winetricks is a script (text file containing a sequence of commands). The version of winetricks that is preinstalled on your computer, is probably a few months old. You should download the latest version of it from http://winetricks.org/winetricks , save it as text file in your home directory, call it e.g. 'winetricks.sh', of course without the ' ', the ending ".sh" stands for shell script, but doesn't really matter. Then you'll have a text file on your computer, to execute it you'd open a shell (aka terminal, i.e. a window with command line). To be able to install IE6, the script needs either to be marked as executable ("chmod +x winetricks.sh", then you can type "./winetricks.sh ie6") or you need to issue a command like "bash winetricks.sh ie6".
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Hi Toppa
Thank you so much - that did indeed solve the problem and IE6 installed ok with equaints link.

I was then able to open the Stock Screener on Incredible Charts.

However, that module doesnt work properly on Ubuntu because you can't key numerical values into the required fields. Seperate problem that I'll post later after talking with I/Charts.

Thanks again - another step closer to a working version of my charting package.

Stan.
Stan1581
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stan1581 »

Thanks lambhi5678
Have downloaded latest winetricks, but have already installed IE6 using toppas suggestion.
Sorry, I literally trashed my windows 7 netbook and loaded Ubuntu in a leap of faith.
What is the install command for the new winetricks? When I google for instructions I get multiple different commands and they often contradict? I'm on wine 1.4 and the instructions say that winetricks should updated already.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the basic shell commands from the ground up.
I have spent hours googling for references, but there's more 'tips n tricks' than there are just basic commands.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

if you are just one user on your linux, there's no real need to install the downloaded winetricks script systemwide, just run it from your home directory. You could wait for an update of the official Ubuntu winetricks package, but that will probably only be updated every few weeks or months.

Regarding the "input" issue with ie6, please update to latest wine version (1.5.11, see http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu ), run from command line and post terminal output. If it still wouldn't work and there'd be no obvious error message, you may need to file a bug in wine's bugzilla.