Software running fine in wine, how to save/open files?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
bjosephs

Software running fine in wine, how to save/open files?

Post by bjosephs »

Hey, folks

I'm a new Wine user running version 1.2.3 on Mac OS 10.7.4. I installed wine to run circuit board design software from ExpressPCB.com (the only reason I still own a windows PC). I'm not a software/code guy at all, but after some fiddling I was able get the software to run normally. If I understand correctly, Wine is placing these little portable applications in pseudo-windows environment complete with all the files that came through from the windows installer when I "WineBottled" the .exe installer file.

My question is this: I have a number of legacy files from using this software are on another machine that I want to be able to open, and add to, while running this software on my Mac - but there seems to be no way to point the save or open functions to anywhere outside the windows realm in my bottled application.

I hope that makes sense. I also hope I didn't overlook an easy answer while reading the FAQs.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

WineBottler (and the Wine.app that is part of it)... are...

A. not supported here, the same as all 3rd party programs.

B. very old and no longer maintained or updated... the creator vanished and has been silent for over a year and a half.

If you want to use normal Wine that is supported here... the easiest way to do that is using Macports (at macports.org). Remember its all command line...

If you want to find another 3rd party program thats more current, that could be a way to go too... I'd look at Crossover or Wineskin.

None of the options but build it yourself Wine and all command line usage is supported on this forum though for OSX.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

The fake Z drive should point to the top of the system, that's the
usual way to escape the windows hierarchy.

You may also be able to do it by navigating to the "/" folder
(next to My Computer) in the file dialogs.
bjosephs

Post by bjosephs »

Thanks, that was the ticket. The Z drive does lead "outside".