[ubuntu] WoW frame raiting question

Questions about Wine on Linux
Zettaichi

[ubuntu] WoW frame raiting question

Post by Zettaichi »

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to linux and I read in many places that NVIDIA specially for ubuntu was the way to go as far as a video card goes.

I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 6950 1Gb. and I have WoW installed and I'm playing it yet the frame drops in 5m and I havent try in 25m yet. So I went a bought the EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti ftw edition 448 Cores and due to a lack of drivers (non that I could fine to be fully compatible) the rates went down like a block.

So my question is, is there a way to fix this or is there a listing of video cards that I could use similar in specs and power to my radeon or am I doom to install windows to play wow again with the best FPS?

Thanks for your input.
gutigen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gutigen »

Stick to Windows for Windows games. Wine is ok if you need MS Office under linux or some older games. Modern multiplayer titles do not work properly under WINE. Of course for some 30-40fps is enough, but I say that anything below stable 60fps in multiplayer game is unplayable. In multiplayer games the key is CPU and WINE has problems with multicore rendering (also translating directX to opengl takes some cpu power).

As for your nvidia drivers, which Ubuntu version are you using?[/code]
qwest
Level 2
Level 2

Post by qwest »

(also translating directX to opengl takes some cpu power)
This is not an issue with WoW since an opengl client is available.

Wine is sufficient to run WoW at >60 fps. WoW is mostly CPU bound so the choice of video card is unimportant to a certain degree. You will see a much larger fps increase by upgrading your CPU instead.