LiveZilla

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Ha, ha I found this thread so amusing I had to help out a bit! I mean talk about sending poor op on a wild goose chase! 8-)

I am working on Wine 1.3.21 (vanilla) with the guide on page 2 (of this thread). Clean WINEPREFIX.

My version of Livezilla complained about a missing MS Sans Serif font. I copied this over from my Windows 7 install to my WINEPREFIX C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Same error message.

I ran Livezilla with the +relay DEBUG flag. The application is poking about in registry key ["SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Fonts"]. I have confirmed this is what is causing the font issues. Wine doesn't populate this key with new fonts you just copy into your WINEPREFIX Windows fonts folder.

I'm not sure if running winecfg (again - on a pre-existing WINEPREFIX) will pull in new fonts from your /usr/share/fonts/truetypes/ Linux root TT font folder (& subfolders)??!! You really want the registry keys to be generated automagically (since manual entry of all the missing font names - in the Wine registry - would be a royal pain in the ass :twisted: ).

Anyway I'm getting tired now - so I'm off to bed... :lol:

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

KhalidAl wrote: Thanks for your reply could you please tell me how to completely uninstall it?
Uninstall Wine itself with

Code: Select all

sudo make uninstall
You should also delete the wineprefix.

Now, about your original problem, is it the full version 3.3.2.2 from http://www.livezilla.net/downloads/en/ that you're trying to run? Because if it is, I downloaded it, and it installs and starts up just fine with winetricks dotnet20, gdiplus, and ie7 in Wine 1.3.21. I did not install corefonts, but I do have all my Windows fonts installed systemwide, which may make a difference. I don't think it does, however, because I got the error message about Verdana the first time I tried to start Livezilla, and got rid of it by installing gdiplus. As to whether the app actually works, I don't know, because I don't have a webserver or even a clue how to set this software up.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

One correction: it is not necessary to install gdiplus with winetricks, because apparently that dll is included in dotnet20, which I hadn't realized before. So all that is necessary is to set the override for gdiplus in winecfg after installing dotnet20.

Here's the exact formula I followed:

1. Use Wine 1.3.21 with a clean wineprefix.
2. Install dotnet20 and ie7 with winetricks.
3. Set gdiplus to native, builtin in winecfg.
4. Install Livezilla.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

IT WORKS!!!!!

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

IT WORKS!!!!! :D :lol: Bob Wya, you are a saint! Thank you so much for bringing me to the solution!
And by golie, it works in WINE 1.3.21! Looks like we get to dodge filing a regression report this time.
Unfortunately, I won't be connected to the Internet by a to-the-house ISP until Tuesday, so it's back to the iPhone. If it was jailbroken, I'd tether. 

I didn't actually set up a Livezilla server and "use" Livezilla, but I got the client up. I'm past the font complaints. My gut feeling is that KhalidAl can use Livezilla in WINE at his job now. It seems pretty stable. It even puts an icon in Linux's version of the "Tray Notification Area".

I wrote very detailed instructions to do what I did to make it work, and posted them here:

http://pastebin.com/Pe4kAwxH

Question: Can I spoof fonts? In other words, can I take an open source font's source code, and compile it in such a way that it reports itself as another font? The reason why this is relavant is because someone that's gone "pure open source/freeware" and doesn't have a license to Windows would have to purchase a license to "Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type)" to legally have this font and make Livezilla work in WINE...UNLESS that person could compile an open source font to look like "Microsoft San Serif (True Type)". Then Livezilla would use that font instead of Microsoft San Serif (True Type). Just pick a similar-looking open source font.

Cheers,
Jake
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: IT WORKS!!!!!

Post by Bob Wya »

SpawnHappyJake wrote:IT WORKS!!!!! :D :lol: Bob Wya, you are a saint! Thank you so much for bringing me to the solution!
I have no doubt I'm a saint... :lol: But I am sure it was dimesio who actually offered you a working solution!
SpawnHappyJake wrote:Question: Can I spoof fonts? In other words, can I take an open source font's source code, and compile it in such a way that it reports itself as another font? The reason why this is relavant is because someone that's gone "pure open source/freeware" and doesn't have a license to Windows would have to purchase a license to "Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type)" to legally have this font and make Livezilla work in WINE...UNLESS that person could compile an open source font to look like "Microsoft San Serif (True Type)". Then Livezilla would use that font instead of Microsoft San Serif (True Type). Just pick a similar-looking open source font.
Have you tried to duplicate a FOSS font (say the rather natty Ubuntu fonts) and renaming them to the Microsoft TTF library name (of the font you want to "emulate")? I have no idea if that might work. Perhaps that Wine font registry key I referenced would also let you do some font redirects??

@KhalidAl
You still alive there buddy? 8)

Bob
jjmckenzie

LiveZilla

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM, SpawnHappyJake
<[email protected]> wrote:
IT WORKS!!!!! :D [Laughing] Bob Wya, you are a saint! Thank you so much for bringing me to the solution!
And by golie, it works in WINE 1.3.21! Looks like we get to dodge filing a regression report this time.
Unfortunately, I won't be connected to the Internet by a to-the-house ISP until Tuesday, so it's back to the iPhone. If it was jailbroken, I'd tether.

I didn't actually set up a Livezilla server and "use" Livezilla, but I got the client up. I'm past the font complaints. My gut feeling is that KhalidAl can use Livezilla in WINE at his job now. It seems pretty stable. It even puts an icon in Linux's version of the "Tray Notification Area".

I wrote very detailed instructions to do what I did to make it work, and posted them here:

http://pastebin.com/Pe4kAwxH
Since Pastebin is volitile, can you update the Applications Database
with this good information? This will allow others to gain from it
and if necessary, improve.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Part 2: After the Solution

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

I have no doubt I'm a saint... But I am sure it was dimesio who actually offered you a working solution!
Let's put it this way...thank you all! The trick is to get the font files in the font folder as well as in the registry. Earlier, in the back of my mind, I was wondering if it was a registry issue, but I wasn't ready to go there and didn't know at the time where fonts are registered in the registry, or if they even were. After all, I was having too much fun compiling 1.1.39 from source for that sort of thing!
Bob Wya here gave the registry path, and that let me to the solution. Which reminds me...that relay debug option is a new one on me. So I went to terminal and did a "man wine". It opened a whole other world. The "relay" debug thing was in there. I'll have to keep the debug options in mind for future troubleshooting.
Have you tried to duplicate a FOSS font (say the rather natty Ubuntu fonts) and renaming them to the Microsoft TTF library name (of the font you want to "emulate")? I have no idea if that might work. Perhaps that Wine font registry key I referenced would also let you do some font redirects??
The font files actually have the name of the font they contain encoded into their file contents. I personally did an experiment where I saved a backup copy to my Desktop of the real micross.ttf, which holds the Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type) font. I then made a copy of some similar font file, it might have been Arial or Verdana, deleted the real micross.ttf from my fonts folder, renamed the copy to "micross.ttf", and had the copy in place of the original micross.ttf file, even though this copy named "micross.ttf" does NOT contain the Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type) font (all in my spoofing effort). I already had the appropriate registry value pointing to the font file. When I ran Livezilla, it complained that the Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type) font was missing. When I replaced the failed-spoof with the original, and ran Livezilla again, it didn't complain. When you open a font with the font viewer, it displays the font name, no matter what you change the file name to. Thus Livezilla either keeps hashes of the fonts and checks them that way, or just looks inside at their name to see if they really are that font. If the latter is true, it should be easy to spoof fonts by changing the name of the font they report themselves as. I think there should be a "winetricks spooffonts" that would install spoofed open source fonts for each widely-used commercially sold font, such as the Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type) font.
@jjmckenzie: Sir! Yes sir! Awaiting review by the AppDB team, sir!
Cheers,
Jake
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Part 2: After the Solution

Post by Bob Wya »

SpawnHappyJake wrote:
@jjmckenzie: Sir! Yes sir! Awaiting review by the AppDB team, sir!
Cheers,
Jake
Yeh that's the important bit!

@Jake
I am a bit concerned about hearing about App Maintainers that aren't creating detailed/updated HOWTO's for the applications they offer to maintain... Referencing BIAB as a prime example. The maintainer there doesn't appear to want to help other users very much!!

Perhaps you could offer to start maintaining Livezilla even if you aren't using the software? At least you seem to care whether the software runs for other users!!

Bob
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Screenshot

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Thought I'd share this:

Cheers,
Jake
LinuxETC

LiveZilla v4.0.1.2 + Wine v1.3?

Post by LinuxETC »

First off, for those who have done some R&D on this with LiveZilla v3 series, kudos indeed.

I noticed LiveZilla is at v4.0.1.2 now. I have not dived into trying the installation process under Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit and 64-bit desktop systems here) just yet, but wanted to reach out and see if anyone has tried such? Potential issues that may be encountered (with or without solutions; with preferred of course :wink: )?

Also to note, know of Wine, but beyond trying IE v7 for web site testing, I have not done much beyond such. So I would consider myself "green" with Wine too. Will be using Wine v1.3 via the Ubuntu PPA for reference as well.

Thanks in advance.
LinuxETC

Installation for v4.0.1.2 steps

Post by LinuxETC »

For Ubuntu 10.04LTS (both 32-bit and 64-bit) I had to add some steps to the prior "IT WORKS!" noted by dimesio:
dimesio wrote: Here's the exact formula I followed:
1. Use Wine 1.3.21 with a clean wineprefix.
2. Install dotnet20 and ie7 with winetricks.
3. Set gdiplus to native, builtin in winecfg.
4. Install Livezilla.
The following should assist potentially any error messages when starting the LiveZilla Client or LiveZilla Server Admin associated with fonts (Sans Serif Regular and Arial Regular in particular in my case).

5. Copy from a Microsot Windows system (Windows XP Professional was used in my case) the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts directory to your Linux user's ~/.fonts (make this directory if need be).
NOTE: There are various locations in Linux/GNU in which fonts can be kept. These locations are defined in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf; standard ones include /usr/share/fonts, /usr/local/share/fonts, and /home/<username>/.fonts (where <username> is your user name).

6. Manually create soft links for the Arial fonts in ~/.fonts (or however done from Step 5's NOTE above) as follows:

ln -sf arial.ttf Arial.ttf
ln -sf arialbd.ttf Arial_Bold.ttf
ln -sf arialbi.ttf Arial_Bold_Italic.ttf
ln -sf ariali.ttf Arial_Italic.ttf
This should address a prior comment about how LiveZilla might be calling the various Fonts from the Windows side.

7. Update the system's and user's fonts.

sudo fc-cache -f -v
LiveZilla Client or Admin should work from there.

:D Thanks once again to those who contributed previously on this thread indeed. :D
LinuxETC

Spoke too soon...error message with LiveZilla Client

Post by LinuxETC »

Looks like there is an issue with the MDAC as noted in the screen shot when trying to login with the LiveZilla Client. :?

For those who cannot read the "fine print" :wink: the error message states the following:

"Your installation of the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) is outdated or corrupt. Please install MDAC 2.81 or greater and try again."

Thoughts, questions, and/or comments are welcomed. I will be going back to the Winetricks side to see if this is available and advise as well if I find anything workable.

Thanks in advance.
Horrors

see ya again

Post by Horrors »

hope you will do same things again :)
LinuxETC

New error message

Post by LinuxETC »

Was able to install 'mdac28" (Microsoft Data Access Component v2.8 sp1) which resolved the prior posting. However, I received the following error message:

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)

Screen shot:

Thoughts, comments, questions, and feedback are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Here's a couple pointers:

If you don't have legal access to the fonts Livezilla demands, nor want to pay for them, you can find similar public-domain fonts and use ttx to "decompile" the font into an XML-like text file. Then you can edit the XML-like file to change the name of the font to whatever font it is you need to spoof, and then "recompile" the XML-like text file into a ttf file.

That spoofing technique works. I've personally done it and used Livezilla as my guinea pig. It gets past the font error messages after you copy them over and make the appropriate registry entries.

Second thought is that MDAC shouldn't be able to install unless Wine is set to mimic one of the following versions of Windows: Win 2000, Win 98, Win ME, Win NT. Later versions of Windows already have what MDAC gives. So you'll have to lower the version of Windows Wine is mimicking to one of those, install MDAC, bring the version of Windows you're mimicking back up, and continue on.
If somehow you got MDAC installed without lowering the version, I'd retry doing that. Also, don't forget to bring the version back up.

Cheers,
Jake