using windows vst plug-ins with logic 9 on mac osx lion

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

I have just discovered the existence of Wine as I was thinking of creating a Windows partition in order to process audio files using some of the great VST fx plugins (such as dblue glitch) that are only available on Windows. I could then import the files into Logic 9 on Mac OSX Lion for use in my music.

A Windows partition seemed the only solution until I stumbled across the Wine website: I tried various vst to au converter programs but they will only convert Mac OSX VST programs and cannot recognize Windows VST programs.

My question to anyone who may know is: If I set up Wine and MacPorts etc., will programs like "FXpansion VST to AU Converter" be able to read the Windows VST's and wrap them into Audio Units for use in Logic 9?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am a total novice when it comes to things like 'command lines' etc. and really don't want to delve deep into this rabbit hole only to find that it doesn't actually work for me.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Entropy <[email protected]> wrote:
I have just discovered the existence of Wine as I was thinking of creating a Windows partition in order to process
audio files using some of the great VST fx plugins (such as dblue glitch) that are only available on Windows. I could
then import the files into Logic 9 on Mac OSX Lion for use in my music.
The first place to look for this information is in the Applications
Database. If there is no information, then a search of the forums
would be next.

James
Entropy

Re: using windows vst plug-ins with logic 9 on mac osx lion

Post by Entropy »

jjmckenzie wrote:On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Entropy <[email protected]> wrote:
I have just discovered the existence of Wine as I was thinking of creating a Windows partition in order to process
audio files using some of the great VST fx plugins (such as dblue glitch) that are only available on Windows. I could
then import the files into Logic 9 on Mac OSX Lion for use in my music.
The first place to look for this information is in the Applications
Database. If there is no information, then a search of the forums
would be next.

James
Cheers for the suggestions but I had already done a search of the AppDB and the only VST's I found that I recognize were things like Native Instruments Kontakt, Battery etc. which are both stand alone apps and plugins. Whereas they will most probably work in standalone mode, I am uncertain about whether they (or purely plugin VST's) will appear as Mac compatible VST's in Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plugins so that they can be 'wrapped' using a VST to Audio Unit Converter for use in Logic.

I have also searched the forums to no avail, so I am hoping that someone who has either done/attempted this or knows enough about how wine works with audio plugins will read this and offer some information.