coreldraw 9 almost loads hangs at self regestration

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
zeeboos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeeboos »

I am using wine 1.3.28 loaded from the Ubuntu software link (GUI) no terminal loading. I installed Ubuntu 64 bit on January 9 latest version. When I try to load Coreldraw 9 from the setup exe. file on the CD located in the DVD burner the program starts up fine and almost completely loads. (I used Wine to start the setup) Then it gets to self Registration and stops at c:/programs files/Corel/WT9Li.dll. I tried winetricks and put a check mark in front of (MFC 40, MFC 42 MSI, windows installer 2.0 and MSI Line services) They all say CHACHED under the status menu in winetricks now. My Question is Does chached mean the process is done or is there something else I need to do to load these programs from winetricks. This is the first time I have used winetricks or tried loading a wine program. So I am confused. I have only used linux a few days now so please keep that in mind when posting a reply.
dimesio

Re: coreldraw 9 almost loads hangs at self regestration

Post by dimesio »

zeeboos wrote:I am using wine 1.3.28
That version is old; the latest development release is 1.3.37.
They all say CHACHED under the status menu in winetricks now. My Question is Does chached mean the process is done or is there something else I need to do to load these programs from winetricks.
"Cached" means winetricks has already downloaded that file and saved it in its cache, and will not need to download it again if you need to install it again.
This is the first time I have used winetricks or tried loading a wine program.
Some introductory information:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
zeeboos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeeboos »

dimesio wrote:
zeeboos wrote:I am using wine 1.3.28
That version is old; the latest development release is 1.3.37.
They all say CHACHED under the status menu in winetricks now. My Question is Does chached mean the process is done or is there something else I need to do to load these programs from winetricks.
"Cached" means winetricks has already downloaded that file and saved it in its cache, and will not need to download it again if you need to install it again.
This is the first time I have used winetricks or tried loading a wine program.
Some introductory information:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
I uninstalled 1.3.28 version through following Ubuntu`s software center first. Where it says remove and I hit enter and watched progress bar do its removal. I checked afterwards to make sure it was gone by going to the Icon above home and typed in wine. It was no longer showing up there. Previously I could find wine that way so I assume it did remove the program 1.3.28

After removing the software I went to Ubuntu to get the latest version of wine and followed their link that said get latest version 1.3. This time I pasted the terminal directions and it loaded the 1.3.28 verslon again.

Do I need to restart the computer after removing software? I know in windows a lot of times you need to restart the computer for changes to really take place. Thanks for the tip about 1.3.37 being the latest version, I just do not know how to load it.

Thanks for the tip about cashed but my winetricks only shows cashed to the 4 items I checked the others are blank. I just do not know how to load it.
doug

Post by doug »

On 01/16/2012 03:10 PM, zeeboos wrote:
I am using wine 1.3.28 loaded from the Ubuntu software link (GUI) no terminal loading. I installed Ubuntu 64 bit on January 9 latest version. When I try to load Coreldraw 9 from the setup exe. file on the CD located in the DVD burner the program starts up fine and almost completely loads. (I used Wine to start the setup) Then it gets to self Registration and stops at c:/programs files/Corel/WT9Li.dll. I tried winetricks and put a check mark in front of (MFC 40, MFC 42 MSI, windows installer 2.0 and MSI Line services) They all say CHACHED under the status menu in winetricks now. My Question is Does chached mean the process is done or is there something else I need to do to load these programs from winetricks. This is the first time I have used winetricks or tried loading a wine program. So I am confused. I have only used linux a few days now so please keep that in mind when posting a reply.

A few days ago, I tried to install Office X3 or Office X4 (I have both)
and I could not get either one of them to install.
If and when you or someone finds out how to do this, I'd appreciate
hearing about it. (I really only care about
WordPerfect and Quattro. Draw would be icing on the cake for me.) If
it matters, I'm using pclos; its available version
of Wine is 1.3.28.

--doug
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

zeeboos wrote:After removing the software I went to Ubuntu to get the latest version of wine and followed their link that said get latest version 1.3. This time I pasted the terminal directions and it loaded the 1.3.28 verslon again.
You probably didn't add the Wine PPA repository. http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

If you still have problems after adding the repository, ask for help on the Ubuntu forum.
Do I need to restart the computer after removing software?
No.

zeeboos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeeboos »

doug wrote:On 01/16/2012 03:10 PM, zeeboos wrote:

A few days ago, I tried to install Office X3 or Office X4 (I have both)
and I could not get either one of them to install.
If and when you or someone finds out how to do this, I'd appreciate
hearing about it. (I really only care about
WordPerfect and Quattro. Draw would be icing on the cake for me.) If
it matters, I'm using pclos; its available version
of Wine is 1.3.28.

--doug
Doug I finally got Corel 9 to load but I am very disappointed in the results.
any tool with a flyout doesnt work. selecting fonts is almost impossible. however I have some tips below of what I finally did to get it loaded. I think this statement from Dimesio is the key "You probably didn't add the Wine PPA repository. http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

If you still have problems after adding the repository, ask for help on the Ubuntu forum. "

here is some more information that might help you Doug.

Some tips for others trying to load Coreldraw9. My experience was when I tried to load Coreldraw via the 1.2 stable version using Ubuntu's software center I got locked out when trying to load the setup exe. file. Wine was protecting me from viruses. I can't remember exactly what it said but I do remember that is why Wine locked the setup file.

Using Ubuntu's software center I then loaded version 1.3.28 beta. When I right clicked on the setup exe. file in the CD it began to load and got all the way to self registering. 90% there and hung on c:/programs files/Corel/WT9Li.dll. I tried winetricks MEC 40 and MFC 42 to no avail.

I finally uninstalled version 1.3.28 via Ubuntu's software center I did not use the terminal to uninstall. From what I understand if its loaded by Ubuntu then you can uninstall using Ubuntu. If wine is loaded by the terminal via binary code then I think its much more complicated to uninstall. I could be wrong but that's the way I read things. I have only been using Linux since January 9, 2012 Today is January 17, 2012. Not much experience there. The terminal is still intimidating to me. But that's how I read things about installing and uninstalling.

After uninstalling version 1.3.28. I then installed version 1.3.37 directly from this site because even thou Ubuntu would say get latest version it always gave me 1.3.28. I tried three different times and places using Ubuntu.

Finally I did have to copy and paste from this sites directions and pay very close attention and use the terminal. I finally got 1.3.37 loaded. This time when I right clicked the setup exe. Icon from the CD and used wine to install. Corel asked if I wanted to start over or continue from the previous attempt. Not in those words but that was the meaning. I marked continue from last attempt because it said recommended. This time it sailed through the missing dll. When registering it would appear to be stuck but when I hit the escape key a box would come up saying registering is very important do you really want to quit. I would say no and it then I was led to the next step. This happened several times.

Finally I had the choice of trying to register on line or print a page and mail it in. I choose print a page. It did print the page! A tip for those new to Corel`s registration, its long and tedious but you only need to fill in the fields at the beginning with an asterisks. Just click next after filling in the fields with asterisks, if you want to get through it quicker. I have had this software since 2001 and love it for what I do. I put a 10 page newspaper together every few months and am very familiar with its basic features. I will give an update on how stable it is in wine in a day or two. .Oh I am using Ubuntu 64 bit latest version loaded January 9, 2012.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

zeeboos wrote: Wine was protecting me from viruses. I can't remember exactly what it said but I do remember that is why Wine locked the setup file.
Wine does not protect you from viruses or lock files. If you got such a message, it was from something else on your system.
After uninstalling version 1.3.28. I then installed version 1.3.37 directly from this site
The instructions are on this site, but the repository is Ubuntu's. Wine binaries are created by the distros, not here.
will give an update on how stable it is in wine in a day or two.
Please submit a test report to the AppDB.
zeeboos
Level 2
Level 2

confused what version of wine to use

Post by zeeboos »

I submitted an AppDB but recieved this message "Retest in a version of Wine that is still on the list and resubmit." I thought 1.3.37 is the newest wine. How do I find out the newest version?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

You can easily spot the latest version at http://www.winehq.org/ , it probably couldn't be more obvious ;-)

Binaries for Ubuntu should be available a few days after release.
dimesio

Re: confused what version of wine to use

Post by dimesio »

zeeboos wrote:I submitted an AppDB but recieved this message "Retest in a version of Wine that is still on the list and resubmit." I thought 1.3.37 is the newest wine. How do I find out the newest version?
1.3.37 is the latest version. Your test report was rejected because you tried to add "Ubuntu 64 bit loadod January 9, 2012" as a new distribution. You were told to select the version of Ubuntu you are using from the dropdown list. I can't do it for you, because I have no idea which version of Ubuntu you installed on January 9.
zeeboos
Level 2
Level 2

wine 1.4 is now availible but the binary packages for Ubuntu

Post by zeeboos »

I see wine 1.4 is now availible but the binary packages for Ubuntu 11.10 are not. I think I need to wait for the Ubuntu 11.10 binary packages to try Corel draw 9 and expect any improvement; am I correct?