Can't get Wine to work passed the most basic

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
samaricsm

Post by samaricsm »

I have managed to get most games to load, but everyone locks up when I try to play it. It is always the same error:

Missing Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls (0.0.0)

Every libraries I can find connected to DirectX, Steam, .Net. All of my research indicates this is a error that is compiled into the code per Microsofts instructions.

I am running an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad core, with an Nvidia GeoForce 8400. The driver is version 173 with post release updates applied.

I have used PlayOnLinux to use every version of Wine available, but the one I have loaded before PlayOnLinux is 1.3.36.

Would compiling WINE correct this problem?

I am at my wits end. I have tried everything else I can think of, with no results.
dimesio

Re: Can't get Wine to work passed the most basic

Post by dimesio »

samaricsm wrote: I have used PlayOnLinux to use every version of Wine available, but the one I have loaded before PlayOnLinux is 1.3.36.

Would compiling WINE correct this problem?
PlayOnLinux is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine only.

You didn't say what distro you're using, but if your distro provides binary Wine packages I'd recommend trying them before compiling Wine yourself.
samaricsm

Post by samaricsm »

Sorry, I am using Ubuntu 11.10.

I do not expect PlayOnLinux to be debugged here. I only mentioned it to say I have used it to try every available binary version of Wine. I get the same results.

I am thinking it is something specific about my machine, maybe the fact that it is a quad, and not a dual core..
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

samaricsm wrote: I am thinking it is something specific about my machine, maybe the fact that it is a quad, and not a dual core..
My system has 6 cores. Wine works fine.

One thing I just noticed is that you are using the wrong driver for your graphics card. The 173 drivers are legacy releases for GeForce series 5 cards; you should be using the 290 driver.

But that wouldn't cause the message about missing Common.Controls. That sounds like a messed up wineprefix, probably from installing a lot of unnecessary native dlls. Try deleting it and reinstalling your apps to a clean wineprefix (no native dlls or other tweaks) with plain Wine. If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tparker »

samaricsm wrote:
I am thinking it is something specific about my machine, maybe the fact that it is a quad, and not a dual core..
I've been using Wine on a quad core machine for a few years now with no
trouble, not sure if knowing that is any help.