Doom Builder 1

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Super Jamie
Level 1
Level 1

Doom Builder 1

Post by Super Jamie »

My primary use for Wine is to run an application called Doom Builder 1.86. It's a GUI-based level editor for the 1994 id Software game Doom. It is available at http://www.doombuilder.com/

In Wine versions 1.3.28 and below this has always run without major problems, the only "workarounds" being to put msvbsm60.dll and oleaut32.dll in the program folder, and set oleaut32 native in winecfg.

With the upgrade to Fedora 16 and Wine 1.3.36, DB1 now appears to be broken beyond repair. OLE functionality within Wine seems to have changed so I now need ole32.dll and olepro32.dll in the program folder, and for both of these to be native in winecfg.

The program then exits upon running with a dialog box stating
System error &H80070078
Console output shows

Code: Select all

$ wine "C:\Program Files\Doom Builder\Builder.exe"
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {9b68751a-876d-4cb2-9f4e-74bd965ad29e} 0x32fc10
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {9b68751a-876d-4cb2-9f4e-74bd965ad29e} 0x32fbf8
A quick Google shows this is a Windows kernel function so I am guessing this is a regression in 1.3.36. From the "fixme:actctx" I am wondering if this is known and I just need to wait for a new wine version to come out, or is it a bug worth reporting?

Also should I report the need for native OLE as a bug?
jjmckenzie

Doom Builder 1

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Super Jamie <[email protected]> wrote:
My primary use for Wine is to run an application called Doom Builder 1.86. It's a GUI-based level editor for the 1994
id Software game Doom. It is available at http://www.doombuilder.com/

In Wine versions 1.3.28 and below this has always run without major problems, the only "workarounds" being to put > A quick Google shows this is a Windows kernel function (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/aa375148) so I
am guessing this is a regression in 1.3.36. From the "fixme:actctx" I am wondering if this is known and I just need
to wait for a new wine version to come out, or is it a bug worth reporting?

Also should I report the need for native OLE as a bug?
First point: Check bugzilla to see if a bug has been reported. If
not, create and file one (see the link on Bugzilla about bug reporting
and how to write a bug.)
Second point: File a regression bug report for the native OLE
problems with this program. This shows that you are using Wine
because Windows will not support this program anymore.

James
dimesio

Re: Doom Builder 1

Post by dimesio »

Super Jamie wrote:My primary use for Wine is to run an application called Doom Builder 1.86. It's a GUI-based level editor for the 1994 id Software game Doom. It is available at http://www.doombuilder.com/
Are you sure you mean 1.86 and not 1.68? Because the link you posted has a download for versions 1.68 and 2.1.1.1466, but no 1.86.

I downloaded and tested both.

Version 1.68 needs winetricks vb5run wsh57. The app itself installs msvbvm60.dll, oleaut32.dll, and olepro32.dll, so you don't have to copy any of them, but you do have to set oleaut32 and olepro32 to native, builtin in winecfg after installing. The app appears to work, but since I don't really know how to use it, I can't say how well. Everything I clicked on seemed to work.

Version 2.1.1.1466 needs winetricks dotnet20 installed before installing it. It throws up an error message when it first starts, but you can click through it and the app continues to run. How well it works--seems buggier than the older version (some button labels were garbled), but everything I clicked on seemed to work.
Super Jamie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Super Jamie »

Yes, I meant 1.68, sorry for the typo on my part.

Doing your winetricks installs has indeed fixed up the issues I was having!

Doom Builder 2 I didn't expect to get working at all. It has some graphical corruption later on (if you don't own Doom 2, open the Freedoom doom2.wad and press W to enter Visual Mode) but it's fairly useable.

I will file bugs for those OLE regressions.

Thank you both so much for your help!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Super Jamie wrote: I will file bugs for those OLE regressions.
It's probably not a regression. My guess is that your previous method of install was from before Wine had its own olepro32, so back then Wine was automatically using the olepro32 installed by the app. Once olepro32 was added, Wine started using its builtin version first, and that's why the override now needs to be set. It's still a bug, though.

There are actually several bugs: the one wsh57 works around, the one vb5run works around, and the ones native oleaut32 and olepro32 work around.

Would you mind submitting test reports to the AppDB for the two versions? I don't know enough really test them thoroughly.
Super Jamie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Super Jamie »

Understood. I've submitted test reports and applied to be the app maintainer.