No sound in wine, no matter if pulseuaio is used or not

Questions about Wine on Linux
DerPionier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DerPionier »

Hi there,

since my upgrade to Kubuntu 11.10, the sound is not working anymore in wine.

By starting "wincfg" audio settings I get:

Code: Select all

fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
Other than that, no message is reported. Clicking on "Test sound" does not lead to any response.

Disbaling pulseaudio does not change anything, I get the same messages and no sound.

Selected driver is: winealsa.drv

Trying to change the registry key so that oss is used does not work. I get "no driver" when I set [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Drivers] Audio="oss".

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tparker »

On 11/14/2011 11:04 AM, DerPionier wrote:

Try opening winecfg and going to the "libraries" tab. Look in the
Existing overrides list for openal32, if it is not there type openal32
in the "New override for library" box. On my system it needs to be set
to "openal32 (native, builtin)" for sound to work correctly, but I am in
a different distro and don't use pulse so I'm not sure if it will help you.
DerPionier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DerPionier »

unfortunately that doesnt help. I get the same errors messages as before.

But I realised another thing. Clicking on "test audio" twice within a short time results in this error message:

err:winmm:WINMM_OpenDevice Activate failed: 80004005
Btw; my wine version is 1.3.32
DerPionier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DerPionier »

I now downgraded to wine version 1.2.3. There sound works when in winecfg "alsa" in "emulation" mode is chosen.

Is the "emulation" mode not supported anymor in the newer wine versions?
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

The same problem here. The difference is I can hear music when i press "Test sound" button, but when I go to Sound tab in winecfg on console appear:

In game i can hear sound only on begining, after little time it disappear and i hear nothing.
Can someone help? My wine is 1.3.32 version.
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

And when I click "Test sound" more times in short period i get on console:

err:winmm:WINMM_OpenDevice Activate failed: 80004005
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Sinel wrote: In game i can hear sound only on begining, after little time it disappear and i hear nothing.
Have you tried the troubleshooting tips in http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound?
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

Yes, I have tried. I have tried also many other things i have found in google searching for more than 3 hours. Nothing helped. Maybe it is connected with my sound card: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02). I have found other people had problems with Intel chipset cards.
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tparker »

On 11/22/2011 06:38 AM, Sinel wrote:
The same problem here. The difference is I can hear music when i press "Test sound" button, but when I go to Sound tab in winecfg on console appear:
<snip>
In game i can hear sound only on begining, after little time it disappear and i hear nothing.
With the games I have run into this with the fix was be sure openal32 is
listed in the overrides box of the libraries tab of winecfg. It should
so up as openal32(native, builtin). If it's not there, add it.
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

With the games I have run into this with the fix was be sure openal32 is listed in the overrides box of the libraries tab of winecfg. It should so up as openal32(native, builtin). If it's not there, add it.
Already tried it. Didn't work.

Now I'm trying something that looking to work. The error message still appears on console with winecfg (cited already about channels), but sound work yet. Will check it for some longer time and write if work really, because before were also times it work, but short time. After longer playing i will write results.
dardack
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dardack »

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Sinel <[email protected]> wrote:
With the games I have run into this with the fix was be sure openal32 is listed in the overrides box of the libraries tab of winecfg. It should so up as openal32(native, builtin). If it's not there, add it.
Already tried it. Didn't work.

Now I'm trying something that looking to work. The error message still appears on console with winecfg (cited already about channels), but sound work yet. Will check it for some longer time and write if work really, because before were also times it work, but short time. After longer playing i will write results.

I always get that error message, but it doesn't effect my sound always working.

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

Ok, so... the problem is still acutal. I've selected "HDA Intel - CONEXANT Analog" as the default sound device in winecfg for all (input and output) and it works perfectly, but... unfortunately only if you run only one wine aplication that uses sound. If you run second - it gives error message (unknown error) and the second application stops.

So... we return to begining. No sound on normal (default system sound) setting in winecfg. :x
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

I don't have any idea what else I can try to do this. The new wersion of wine (1.3.33) doesn't correct this problem. On default settings sound stops.
The only way it works good is to use only one wine-sound application, but when run second it crashes.

I suppose it's a problem of the Linux drivers for build in Intel sound but not sure.

Have anyone any ideas I can try?
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

More information for those who can know why it is so.

When I set in winecfg Outpud Device to HDA Intel - CONEXANT Analog sound works if i have only one Windows program that uses sound.

Second program that try to use sound (also if i wil run Test sound in winecfg while other Windows program uses sound) crashes. I've found out that also if there is some film or music runned on website (flash) in native linux web browser problem is the same.

But, I can set this Intel Output Device in winecfg, run the program (for example game) - sound in it works good. Then, if i want to run second wine program i can (with the first one still working) change Output Device to default in winecfg and run the second program. I will have the sound only in first program, but the second don't crash.

So it's a little success, but must spend some time to play with it.
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

Found out, that sound disappear, when the game is more using hdd/processor - for example between levels, when the game reads from disk new level. Also I tink, that the games uses mp3 sound (I'm sure about two of them).
Sinel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sinel »

New find out: I've ran foobar2000 from console with a hope that if there's any error it will show it on console. foobar was working for maybe 5 minutes, after that stopped in one place (like with pause, but you cant make him to play longer) without any error msgs on the terminal. Pressing "next" song to play only change the song, but can't play it. Only restart of foobar helps.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 12/1/11 2:28 PM, Sinel wrote:
New find out: I've ran foobar2000 from console with a hope that if there's any error it will show it on console. foobar was working for maybe 5 minutes, after that stopped in one place (like with pause, but you cant make him to play longer) without any error msgs on the terminal. Pressing "next" song to play only change the song, but can't play it. Only restart of foobar helps.
See the sticky on the Sound no longer works after Wine 1.3.25 subject.

James