Compiling wine in Ubuntu Oneiric

Questions about Wine on Linux
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

Hello,

I'm having trouble compiling wine 1.3.31 under the latest Ubuntu, 64 bit multiarch, etc. What basically happens is that the compile and make steps go just fine, but any sound that the newly built wine makes, doesn't use PulseAudio, it takes over the sound device.
The only thing I've got to go on is a warning when doing ./configure that tells me that I'm missing the 32 bit gstreamer-0.10 dev files. However, attempting to install what I believe to be the appropriate package leads to synaptic warning me that it will require removing a whole lot of core system packages as well, so I've opted not to so far. The warnings I get when doing configure follow.

Code: Select all

configure: OpenCL 32-bit development files not found, OpenCL won't be supported.
configure: libhal/libdbus 32-bit development files not found, no dynamic device support.
configure: gstreamer-0.10 base plugins 32-bit development files not found, gstreamer support disabled
configure: libgsm 32-bit development files not found, gsm 06.10 codec won't be supported.
P.s, I bother compiling from source because of various patches that aren't in wine yet, ie, raw input patch for Deus Ex HR, a fix for Starcraft 2, etc. No idea what's going on, help would be great. If you need more info, please ask.
Christoph Korn

Post by Christoph Korn »

Hello,

did you try the PPA packages first?
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Do they have the same issue?
I know that there has been some reimplementation regarding sound output in
wine. This is also the reason why a seperate PulseAudio driver for wine is not
required any longer.
If the ppa package does not have the issue you can take it as a starting point
and build your own packages with the patches applied from there.

Am 11.11.2011 14:40, schrieb ZombieRedShirt:
Hello,

I'm having trouble compiling wine 1.3.31 under the latest Ubuntu, 64 bit multiarch, etc. What basically happens is that the compile and make steps go just fine, but any sound that the newly built wine makes, doesn't use PulseAudio, it takes over the sound device.
The only thing I've got to go on is a warning when doing ./configure that tells me that I'm missing the 32 bit gstreamer-0.10 dev files. However, attempting to install what I believe to be the appropriate package leads to synaptic warning me that it will require removing a whole lot of core system packages as well, so I've opted not to so far. The warnings I get when doing configure follow.

Code:
configure: OpenCL 32-bit development files not found, OpenCL won't be supported.
configure: libhal/libdbus 32-bit development files not found, no dynamic device support.
configure: gstreamer-0.10 base plugins 32-bit development files not found, gstreamer support disabled
configure: libgsm 32-bit development files not found, gsm 06.10 codec won't be supported.

P.s, I bother compiling from source because of various patches that aren't in wine yet, ie, raw input patch for Deus Ex HR, a fix for Starcraft 2, etc. No idea what's going on, help would be great. If you need more info, please ask.

Mateusz Stachowski
Level 3
Level 3

Try build-dep command

Post by Mateusz Stachowski »

There is a very neat command that will get you all the necessary packages to build Wine (or other programs):

sudo apt-get build-dep packagename

this will print the list of packages to install you should agree on each and everyone of those.
Christoph Korn

Post by Christoph Korn »

Yeah, and don't forget to use wine1.3 as packagename I think Ubuntu still has
the 1.2 release as the main wine package.

Am 11.11.2011 19:26, schrieb Mateusz Stachowski:
There is a very neat command that will get you all the necessary packages to build Wine (or other programs):

this will print the list of packages to install you should agree on each and everyone of those.

ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Try build-dep command

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

Mateusz Stachowski wrote:There is a very neat command that will get you all the necessary packages to build Wine (or other programs):

Thanks for the suggestion, I should probably have listed the steps I'd already tried. I've done build-essential, build-dep wine1.3, and trawled through the ubuntu repos installing anything I thought might be related. I've also got ia32-libs and other misc stuff.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Compiling wine in Ubuntu Oneiric

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

Christoph Korn wrote:Hello,

did you try the PPA packages first?
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Do they have the same issue?
I know that there has been some reimplementation regarding sound output in
wine. This is also the reason why a seperate PulseAudio driver for wine is not
required any longer.
If the ppa package does not have the issue you can take it as a starting point
and build your own packages with the patches applied from there.
Hi, I've tried the ppa package, and no, it doesn't have any trouble using pulseaudio. That's 1.3.32 at the moment. Also, I seem to have this issue dating from the release of wine 1.3.30, when I think the new mmdevapi was implemented.

Also, I am sure that I was able to compile more recent wines (1.3.30 and up) until recently without this problem, so it's possible some ubuntu update caused this, I've just got no idea at the moment.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

bump

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

apologies, just bumping this thread. Also, I've got just about any dev package that I think might be related installed, the difficulty may be that I can't install too many 32 bit versions without ripping out most of my system. Any suggestions?
Christoph Korn

Post by Christoph Korn »

I suggest you do the compilation in a chroot environment.

In a project I work for there is a script which lets you create a secure
chroot (schroot):
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~debfactory ... schroot.py

You can then jump into the schroot with "schroot -c oneiric-amd64 -p" (for
example) install the build-depends, make the compilation and packaging and
just get rid of the schroot by typing "exit".

Have fun.

Am 13.11.2011 13:52, schrieb ZombieRedShirt:
apologies, just bumping this thread. Also, I've got just about any dev package that I think might be related installed, the difficulty may be that I can't install too many 32 bit versions without ripping out most of my system. Any suggestions?

blaiseg07
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Compiling wine in Ubuntu Oneiric

Post by blaiseg07 »

ZombieRedShirt wrote:

Code: Select all

For OpenCL support:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

For Gstreamer:
make sure you have gstreamer-plugins-base-dev and gstreamer-dev installed. you don't have to installer the i386 packages. make sure there's a gstreamer directory under /usr/lib32 after installing.
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

oops

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

It appears I owe everyone here an apology. It seems that under the audio tab in winecfg, choosing a specific output device, in this case my usb headset, results in pulseaudio not being used. However, setting system default does allow pulseaudio to be used. Tried under wine 1.3.31 under a chroot setup, and 1.3.32 under my installed ubuntu.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Seems my user name is quite fitting after all :oops: However, I would have thought that pulseaudio would have been used whatever audio device I had selected, so I'm still a little confused.