problems installing wine 1.3.24/sketchup 8/on fedora 15

Questions about Wine on Linux
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

I am trying to install wine (1.3.24) from winehq for fedora and sketchup (8) on a Fedora-15 box. I have tried to follow the Sketchup Sage site http://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsa ... lems/linux

After installing Wine and Sketchup, I have “Wine Files” under the new GNOME-3 Applications and when I open it I get what looks like a Windows window. No Sketchup in there.

I have 2 Sketchup icons on the desktop. One that looks like the windows Sketchup icon, that when clicked, flashes a white screen for a fraction of a second and then does nothing. The “Google Sketchup 8.lnk” icon does nothing that I can tell.

If I go to a terminal, and enter $wine sketchup, I am told that;

wine: cannot find L“C:\\windows\\system32\\sketchup.exe”

Sketchup is in /home/dgw/.wine/c_drive/Program Files (x86)/Google/Sketchup8

I have installed winetricks and installed the windows dlls

I think I have looked pretty hard for answers but only find old references for problems. SU 6 or 7 and wine 1.1.x So I think I'm an outlier here for problems with this. I just haven't come up with any ideas on what I'm doing wrong.

Any help or wuggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 09:40 -0500, onewaydave wrote:
If I go to a terminal, and enter $wine sketchup, I am told that;

wine: cannot find LC:\\windows\\system32\\sketchup.exe

Sketchup is in /home/dgw/.wine/c_drive/Program Files
(x86)/Google/Sketchup8
So what happens if you run:

cd ".wine/c_drive/Program Files (x86)/Google/Sketchup8"
wine sketchup

within a terminal?

Experimenting with icons and their associated launchers under
Fedora 15/Gnome 3 is *much* harder than it used to be with Gnome 2
under Fedora 14 and earlier releases. IME we've really been crapped on
by Gnome thanks to totally insufficient thought being put into its
design. I can only hope that Gnome 3.2, which is in Fedora 16, will be a
huge improvement but I'm not holding my breath since everything I've
read so far says they've been wasting their time building fripperies
like IM and calendars into it. However, I digress...

The fact remains that under Gnome 3 you can't edit an existing launcher,
only delete it and create a new one. You use the "Main Menu" tool to do
this, which is confusingly filed under 'Other' rather than 'System
Tools' on the Activities|Applications page. Because its so difficult to
hack about with icons and launchers, I *strongly* suggest you first get
any application running from a terminal session by writing a wrapper
script. For sketchup this would be a four line script like this:

<code scriptname="sketchup">
#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=.wine_sketchup
cd "$WINEPREFIX/c_drive/Program Files (x86)/Google/Sketchup8"
wine sketchup
</code>

which assumes you'll follow best practise and put each app in a separate
Wine prefix, in this case called ".wine_sketchup". When you've created
the script you *must* make it executable:

chmod uga+x sketchup

before trying to run it. When the script is working, put it somewhere
safe: $HOME/bin or /usr/local/bin are both good places. Make sure the
one you choose is on the search path. IIRC /usr/local/bin is on it by
default but $(HOME)/bin isn't. This is fixed by extending $PATH as
needed: edit $HOME/.bash_profile so it contains something like:

$PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

and then logout and login again to make bash pick up the extended search
path. Now you can use the "Main Menu" tool to add a launcher that runs
your script to the 'Other' menu section.

Martin
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

Martin, thank you for helping.

Terminal output when launching SU from the correct directory,

Code: Select all

dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ wine sketchup

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.4053)

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.4053)

err:module:import_dll Library MFC80U.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\sketchup.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\sketchup.exe" failed, status c0000135

[dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ 
I have read your post closely and made the wrapper script. The path in .bash_profile was correct. I'll have to work more on this tomorrow.

Again, thanks, Dave.
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 21:27 -0500, onewaydave wrote:
Martin, thank you for helping.

Terminal output when launching SU from the correct directory,
That looks like a certain amount of progress to me - at least the type
of problem has changed.

I've not been a serious Windows user for a long time: the programs I run
under Wine are Win95 apps or Windows Mobile 5/6 programs that have been
recompiled for Windows and so do not use manifests.

The problem you're now experiencing is outside my experience: somebody
who understands manifests or .CRT files needs to pick this up and run
with it.

Martin
Code:
dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ wine sketchup

err:module:import_dll Library MFC80U.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\sketchup.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\sketchup.exe" failed, status c0000135

I have read your post closely and made the wrapper script. The path in .bash_profile was correct. I'll have to work more on this tomorrow.

Again, thanks, Dave.

onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

Well, thanks for stopping by, I'll hang out for the next poster to stop by.

Dave.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

After reading Martin's post I opened Activities>Applications>Other and found several Wine icons that I had not noticed before, I'd been working off the Applications general menu. I was able to open Notepad, Regedit and Wordpad from the icons placed there from the winetricks install (?). They seem to work fine.

From this I think Wine is working OK.

So where am I going wrong with SketchUp?

I did find some older/other posts on dll's that weren't downloaded or were in a wrong directory/file. The terminal output seems to allude to this (above post code). These were in other versions of Linux and I'm still a little intimidated about deleting and moving files around without some guidance. I will certainly appreciate any suggestions.

Dave.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

I found a similar problem posted here http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 674dee0124

He used wine 1.1.x and I'm using 1.3.24
He uses f 12-x86_64 and I'm using f 15-x86_64

He mentions that his install has in the home directory a .wine/ and a .wine-x86_64/
I only have a .wine/

He mentions that he has only installed SketchUp for wine and so have I.

He mentioned that he edited winetricks to change $WINE to $WINE32
Winetricks is a large complex script to me and I am a little intimidated changing it without some direction/confirmation.

So I'm not sure what differences there would be.

When I

env WINEPREFIX="/home/dgw/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\SketchUp.exe"

I get the same terminal error output posted above.

Any suggestions?

Dave.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 10/16/11 9:52 AM, onewaydave wrote:
I found a similar problem posted here http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=43177

He used wine 1.1.x and I'm using 1.3.24
He uses f 12-x86_64 and I'm using f 15-x86_64

He mentions that his install has in the home directory a .wine/ and a .wine-x86_64/
I only have a .wine/

He mentions that he has only installed SketchUp for wine and so have I.

He mentioned that he edited winetricks to change $WINE to $WINE32
Winetricks is a large complex script to me and I am a little intimidated changing it without some direction/confirmation.

So I'm not sure what differences there would be.

When I
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/dgw/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\SketchUp.exe"
Put these two on separate lines.

BTW, the .wine directory is automagically put into the user home
directory....

Something like this might work:

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(X86\)/Google/Google\ Sketchup\ 8\
wine Sketchup.exe

Windows programs tend to look at the current directory before looking
anywhere else for program specific files. Blame Microsoft for this, not
Wine. Also, you may not need to escape (\) the parenthesis characters.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

jjmckenzie, thanks for your input.

I'm not sure what I'm to put on two separate lines. Do you mean as follows?
$env WINEPREFIX="/home/dgw/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\"
$sketchup.exe
Something like this might work:

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(X86\)/Google/Google\ Sketchup\ 8\
wine Sketchup.exe
The code posted in 10/13/11 at 8:27 pm (3d post) was the output of trying to execute SU from the directory you suggest.

dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$wine sketchup
It doesn't seem to matter whether I launch (from terminal) from my home directory with the path included or from the SU directory, as above. Same outcome.

Dave.
Frédéric Delanoy

Post by Frédéric Delanoy »

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:06, onewaydave <[email protected]> wrote:
jjmckenzie, thanks for your input.
I'm not sure what I'm to put on two separate lines.  Do you mean as follows?
$env WINEPREFIX="/home/dgw/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\"
$sketchup.exe
He probably meant to change to the program directory first (line 1),
then run the program from its "home" directory, like
cd /path/to/your/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files\
\(X86\)/Google/Google\ Sketchup\ 8\
env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/wineprefix" wine sketchup.exe

As already mentioned, $HOME/.wine is the default wineprefix so doesn't
need to be specified every time.
If you specify a non-existing directory as WINEPREFIX, it will be
automatically created on first usage
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

I'm not the clearest writer. I had done what you suggested, I think. But to clarify;

[dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/"
[dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ wine SketchUp
err:module:import_dll Library MFC80U.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\SketchUp.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\SketchUp.exe" failed, status c0000135
There I changed to the directory that SketchUp is in and started SketchUp with wine. I get the same response.

Dave.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 10/17/11 7:43 PM, onewaydave wrote:
I'm not the clearest writer. I had done what you suggested, I think. But to clarify;

Code:
[dgw@localhost Google SketchUp 8]$ cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/"
err:module:import_dll Library MFC80U.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\SketchUp.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Google SketchUp 8\\SketchUp.exe" failed, status c0000135

There I changed to the directory that SketchUp is in and started SketchUp with wine. I get the same response.
And you should. Move the 'fake Wine' manifests with 'deadbeef' in them
aside and see what happens. (This is from other recommendations here on
the Forums.)

James
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

James, thanks for the suggestion. I found a post I had not seen before where your suggestion was made. Not sure why it did not come up in my searches, before.

So, I renames the 2 ...deadbeef.manifest files to add a .bak to them, and tried to load SU with wine from the directory that SU is in. Same result as above.

I moved the 2 now renamed files to my home directory and logged out/in and tried to load SU again. Same result.

Any other suggestions?

Dave.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

Just on a whim, I searched the file system for deadbeef.manifest files and those were the only 2 that came up.

Is it possible that by adding .bak and moving them to home did not sufficiently hide them?

Dave.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

onewaydave wrote:Just on a whim, I searched the file system for deadbeef.manifest files and those were the only 2 that came up.

Is it possible that by adding .bak and moving them to home did not sufficiently hide them?
The manifests are not the problem for SketchUp. SketchUp installs its own version of vc80 globally, and Wine uses it by default, even with the deadbeef manifests in place. Plus, the version of Wine you said you are using, 1.3.24, predates the change that made Wine favor builtin vcrun over native.

I can tell you that on my system, SketchUp installs and starts up just fine without renaming anything, or any other tweaks, in Wine built from git a couple of days ago. It does NOT work in Wine 1.3.30 because of http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28642
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

I installed wine 1.3.24 about 2 weeks ago on a newly installed F-15 system. I used that version because it seemed to be the recommended version (http://www.winehq.org/download/) for the Fedora/Red Hat platform.

I have seen lots of comments that we should use as new a version of Wine as possible (but have not been told that, yet, for this problem).

Should I install, say wine 1.3.29? I also assumed that since wine has been reported as working with fedora for some time, that it should work with this version of wine. I have googled extensively here and elsewhere for experiences with fedora and wine and most of the posts are 2-6 years old.

I really appreciate the help offered. Unless new ideas to try come along, I see the following options;

1. move up to wine 1.3.29
2. re-install from the ground up f-15, wine, sketchup
3. fall back to f-14
4. move up to f-16
5. continue to use Win 7 and sketchup.

The last option is not my favorite because everything else I do on a computer is on a fedora platform and has been for several years.

Dave.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

onewaydave wrote: I really appreciate the help offered. Unless new ideas to try come along, I see the following options;

1. move up to wine 1.3.29
You will also have to reinstall SketchUp to a clean wineprefix, which, looking back, it seems you don't have. I just noticed that your original post said something about using winetricks to install dlls. I don't know what dlls you installed or why, but I didn't install any, and according to the AppDB none are necessary. Unnecessary overrides can prevent an app from working.

Try deleting ~/.wine and reinstalling SketchUp without any winetricks or other tweaks.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

dimesio, I was forming the question as the end of your post answered it. I will try this and see what happens.

Thanks, Dave.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

OK, I did the following.

I used package installer to install wine and so I used it to uninstall wine. But ~/.wine and all the associated sub-directories were still there and the SketchUp icon was still on the desktop, so I deleted ~/.wine rebooted and now no wine.

$rpm -qa | grep wine
no list provided, so I presume it was removed.

I used the package installer to re-install wine 1.3.24

I launched $wine GoogleSketchUpWEN for the directory it was in.

I went through several install windows and finally finish.

$cd to ~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files (x86)/Google/GoogleSketchUp 8"
$wine SketchUp

I went through several install windows to the SketchUp welcome screen.
I unchecked the "Always show on Start up" box and clicked to continue after selecting the template (default).
I got a flash of white and then it crashed. I tried again and the error codes are below.

Second time:

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_RETRIES 0

Intrinsic Alchemy v3.3 Beta-0702 (Dynamic/Release)
Built by <unknown> on Fri Jul 2 00:00:00 2010

fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x175980)
fixme:shdocvw:navigate_url Unsupported args (Flags 0x32f070:3; TargetFrameName 0x32f080:8)
fixme:urlmon:URLMoniker_BindToObject use running object table
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 1
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 2
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 11
fixme:wininet:set_cookie persistent cookies not handled (L"Expires=Sat, 22-Oct-2011 08:58:45 GMT; Path=/support; HttpOnly")
fixme:wininet:set_cookie httponly not handled (L"HttpOnly")
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 14
fixme:urlmon:DownloadBSC_OnProgress Unsupported status 3
fixme:wininet:InternetLockRequestFile STUB
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x30be91c, overlapped 0x30be900): stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e17c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus (0x175a30)->((null) 1 0x32ed78 (nil))
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus command_0: 27, 0x0
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 25
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 26
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:mshtml:nsURI_GetAsciiHost Use Uri_PUNYCODE_IDN_HOST flag
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x34569f8)->()
fixme:shdocvw:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x175a30)->(0x32ed38)
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:wininet:InternetLockRequestFile STUB
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_IsNoCacheResponse (0x34569f8)->(0x32e0a0)
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 29
fixme:shdocvw:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x175a30)
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x43263d0)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x4326fc8)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x4327930)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x43282b8)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x4328c40)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetDocumentURI (0x43295a8)->()
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_SetResponseHeader (0x34569f8)->("content-type" "text/html; charset=UTF-8" 1)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_SetResponseHeader (0x34569f8)->("content-style-type" "text/css" 1)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_SetResponseHeader (0x34569f8)->("content-script-type" "text/javascript" 1)
fixme:mshtml:nsURI_GetOriginCharset default action not implemented
fixme:shdocvw:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x175a30)->(0x32f2c8)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4325fc0)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4326a90)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4327498)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4327e00)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4328790)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4329110)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:mshtml:HttpNegotiate_GetRootSecurityId (0x4329a78)->(0x32f208 0x32f1f8 0)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_Stop (0x175980)
fixme:shdocvw:navigate_url Unsupported args (Flags 0x32f720:3; TargetFrameName 0x32f730:8)
fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_IsNoCacheResponse (0x34569f8)->(0x32eeb4)
fixme:shdocvw:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x175a30)->(0x32f74c)
fixme:shdocvw:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x175a30)
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented group {000214d0-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:shdocvw:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented group {000214d0-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:resource:GetGuiResources (0xffffffff,0): stub
fixme:shdocvw:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented group {de4ba900-59ca-11cf-9592-444553540000}
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 35
fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 28
fixme:shdocvw:DocObjectService_FireDocumentComplete 0x3368990 0x3367ed0 0
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x175980)->(1)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x175980)
fixme:shdocvw:ControlSite_OnFocus (0x175a30)->(0)
fixme:shdocvw:InPlaceSite_OnInPlaceDeactivateEx fNoRedraw (1) ignored
fixme:mshtml:HlinkTarget_SetBrowseContext (0x180048)->((nil))
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x175980)->(1)
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadCurrentWindow
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_GLXRender)
  Serial number of failed request:  691187
  Current serial number in output stream:  691298
Third time:

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_RETRIES 0

Intrinsic Alchemy v3.3 Beta-0702 (Dynamic/Release)
Built by <unknown> on Fri Jul 2 00:00:00 2010

I checked to see what video driver I had and,

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) (rev 0c)
I did not use and winetricks on this install. The "flash of white" behaviour happened on the last install also, but the error codes are different.

I do have the wine-1.3.29.tar.bz2 downloaded and will need to review how to install that if it is something I need to try. (I didn't because many times there is caution to use the package installer with the particular distribution.)

Still trying, Dave.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

Oh yes, If I try to use the installed icons, I get the error window
"SketchUp was unable to initialize OpenGL!"

and

"Error: ChoosePixilFormat failed"

and

"two rows of boxes ending in :59
An Invalid argument was encountered"

Dave.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

onewaydave wrote:

Reinstall your graphics driver, and make sure you have 32 bit OpenGL installed. Also, since you are on Fedora, make sure you have 32 bit Wine installed, too. If you have both 64 and 32 bit Wine installed, you may have to use WINEARCH=win32 to create a 32 bit only wineprefix. Or, you could uninstall 64 bit Wine entirely and use only 32 bit; unless you have a 64 bit app you're trying to run, there is no need for 64 bit Wine.

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c) 
That could be your problem. My card is Nvidia. Intel graphics hardware and Linux drivers are both poor. The one thing you can do is make sure you have the 2.16.0 Intel driver, as that version fixed a bug that caused serious problems with UI rendering, not just in Wine, but Wine was particularly affected by it.
I do have the wine-1.3.29.tar.bz2 downloaded and will need to review how to install that if it is something I need to try. (I didn't because many times there is caution to use the package installer with the particular distribution.)
1.3.31 came out yesterday and the crashing-on-start bug is fixed, so if you're going to build Wine yourself I'd recommend that version.
onewaydave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by onewaydave »

dimesio, thanks for your help.

I have #yum update trying to reinstall the video drivers, is this correct?

Changed the HW_OK to 1 in regedit, even though it is said to be fixed as of 1.3.18 mine was set at 0.

Confirmed that the package installed is wine (x86_64) and that no 32 bit versions are around.

coded:
env WINEARCH=32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine

and

env WINEARCH=32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32

and tried with and without the internet connected.

None of this changed the response trying to load SU. Assuming I did each right. I am reading on everything you have suggested and learning a lot.

Dave.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

onewaydave wrote: I have #yum update trying to reinstall the video drivers, is this correct?

Changed the HW_OK to 1 in regedit, even though it is said to be fixed as of 1.3.18 mine was set at 0.

Confirmed that the package installed is wine (x86_64) and that no 32 bit versions are around.
I don't use Fedora, so I can't help you with package manager questions.

You need 32 bit Wine installed along with 64 bit, so if you don't have it, that's a problem. On openSUSE, which is what I use, the x86_64 wine package automatically pulls in the wine32 package as a dependency. I don't know if the Fedora packages do that.
coded:
env WINEARCH=32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine

and

env WINEARCH=32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32
Not quite right. Delete ~/.wine and run

WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
This will recreate ~/.wine as a 32 bit wineprefix. You can use the WINEPREFIX variable if you prefer to have it in a different wineprefix.