Battlefield Vietnam Fonts

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

Successfully installed Battlefield Vietnam at the second attempt, the first failing because I was camped on the CD drive with the terminal screen, preventing the first CD from being unloaded ... Ho hum! However, the screen text display is terrible ... but this was the case on XP until I loaded the right fonts that BV was expecting ... but I cannot remember which fonts, and I no longer install a font that I am not knowingly using, so bulk installation of fonts is out.

Does anyone know which font(s) BV / EA Games are expecting to use (my son has other EA games that we intend to try on Wine)?
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM, nadrach <[email protected]> wrote:
Successfully installed Battlefield Vietnam at the second attempt, the first failing because I was camped on the CD drive with the terminal screen, preventing the first CD from being unloaded ... Ho hum! However, the screen text display is terrible ... but this was the case on XP until I loaded the right fonts that BV was expecting ... but I cannot remember which fonts, and I no longer install a font that I am not knowingly using, so bulk installation of fonts is out.

Does anyone know which font(s) BV / EA Games are expecting to use (my son has other EA games that we intend to try on Wine)?

Try:
$ wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks
$ sh winetricks corefonts

If that doesn't work:
$ sh winetricks allfonts
Aurélien
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aurélien »

Hi nadrach,
I have a tip to find out what are the font you need for your application :
Just copy the entire fonts folder from a real windows installation into your .wine/c_drive/windows/fonts folder. Then run your application with wine (it should have a correct display because you're using windows font files).

Then in a shell type :
$ lsof > result.txt

Now you should have a "result.txt" in your personal folder. Open it and search for each line that contain "fonts", especialy those where the path is in wine's directory.
You'll see all the files currently in use, so you'll find the font files you're looking for :wink:
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

winetricks allfonts

Post by nadrach »

sh winetricks allfonts fails.

First failure is with Tahoma.ttf, which a command tries to copy to directory "../windows/Fonts" instead of "../windows/fonts". I fixed this by renaming the directory, but then a download of "liberation-fonts.tar.gz" from www.redhat.com fails because of "sha1sum mismatch!"

Any suggestions welcome.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:46 PM, nadrach <[email protected]> wrote:
sh winetricks allfonts fails.

First failure is with Tahoma.ttf, which a command tries to copy to directory "../windows/Fonts" instead of "../windows/fonts". I fixed this by renaming the directory, but then a download of "liberation-fonts.tar.gz" from www.redhat.com fails because of "sha1sum mismatch!"

Any suggestions welcome.

Did you download winetricks today? That font problem was fixed a week
or two ago...
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jeffz »

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11351

If this is the same as Vietnam, which it is likely to be since the two games are very similar, I have tested installing allfonts with winetricks and it makes no difference.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

Right, on both counts. I picked up an earlier winetricks in the path, which was undeleted, and the strange display chracteristics are exactly what I'm getting, including the single pixel vertical white line, left screen, on the intro film. Will try a new winetricks.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

Yes, allfonts now installs from an updated winetricks, thank you. Doesn't fix the fonts in BV.

The font display problem appears to be the same as in the fault report quoted by jeffz (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11351). Battlefield 1942 is from EA Games (my son has both games from the same multipack), so it may be something broken in Wine relating to an EAG characteristic.

Current wine version is 0.9.59-0ubuntu5 (Kubuntu 8.04 updated).

Time to sit back and wait for a fix, methinks.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

Further note: graphics display is IBM 945 mobile on an Advent laptop.