Wrong exiting from MS Word + can't save MS Word document

Questions about Wine on Linux
Aleksey_R
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aleksey_R »

Greetings, gentlemen.

I have a problem with MS Office 2007 running and I suppose there's a way to handle with it.

When I exit MS Office 2007 Word it gives message that MSXML 5.0 was installed wrong and it offers to save template "normal.dotx". When I cancel saving it offers me to do it one more time and after that it exits.

Also, I can't save anything in .doc format. When I try to do it the Office installation window shows and MS Office starts to do something (reinstall/repair???), This window is shown until I kill it (more than 3 hours). The CPU load is high, so the "SETUP.EXE" process is busy with something.

Please help, if it's possible.

Wine: 1.3.28 (from OpenSUSE repos)
MS Office: 2007 SP2 Enterprise
Libraries overrides: riched20, usp10.

Best regards, Aleksey.
dimesio

Re: Wrong exiting from MS Word + can't save MS Word document

Post by dimesio »

Aleksey_R wrote:Greetings, gentlemen.

I have a problem with MS Office 2007 running and I suppose there's a way to handle with it.

When I exit MS Office 2007 Word it gives message that MSXML 5.0 was installed wrong and it offers to save template "normal.dotx". When I cancel saving it offers me to do it one more time and after that it exits.

Also, I can't save anything in .doc format. When I try to do it the Office installation window shows and MS Office starts to do something (reinstall/repair???), This window is shown until I kill it (more than 3 hours). The CPU load is high, so the "SETUP.EXE" process is busy with something.

Please help, if it's possible.

Wine: 1.3.28 (from OpenSUSE repos)
MS Office: 2007 SP2 Enterprise
Libraries overrides: riched20, usp10.
Not seeing that here, and I am also running Office 2007 Enterprise with SP2, on 64 bit openSUSE 11.4 using the distro 1.3.28 package.

First question: is this a clean wineprefix--nothing else installed (not even failed attempts to install something)?
Second question: is it a 32 bit wineprefix (created with WINEARCH=win32)?
Third question: is the Windows version set to XP?

If Office is trying to repair, then your wineprefix is clearly messed up. Delete it and reinstall following the howto in the AppDB. If that doesn't fix it, post terminal output.
Aleksey_R
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aleksey_R »

Thanks a lot! I used 64 bit prefix and had problems. When I installed MS Office into 32 bit prefix everything's fine!

Thank you very much for your help!
maniac

Post by maniac »

Aleksey_R wrote:Thanks a lot! I used 64 bit prefix and had problems. When I installed MS Office into 32 bit prefix everything's fine!

Thank you very much for your help!

Can you explain what did you do in simple words.. I'm a newby and I have the same problem
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Aleksey_R wrote: Can you explain what did you do in simple words.. I'm a newby and I have the same problem

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix /path/to/setup.exe
Substitute the actual path to the wineprefix and the path to Office's setup.exe.
Last edited by dimesio on Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dimesio wrote:

Sorry, that should be:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix wine /path/to/setup.exe
maniac

Post by maniac »

dimesio wrote:
dimesio wrote:

Sorry, that should be:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix wine /path/to/setup.exe
:? :? :? :?

Sorry, I tried several times but I get the same ERROR message... :(

I was wondering if you can write step by step process.. from the top (install wine) and so on :roll:

Any help would be aprreciate
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

:?  :?  :?  :?

I was wondering if you can write step by step process.. from the top (install wine) and so on  [Rolling Eyes]

Did you delete your prefix? Are you running the latest or a recent
1.3.X version of wine?

John
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:53 AM, John Drescher <[email protected]> wrote:
 :?  :?  :?  :?

I was wondering if you can write step by step process.. from the top (install wine) and so on  [Rolling Eyes]

Did you delete your prefix? Are you running the latest or a recent
1.3.X version of wine?
Also a debugging log would be helpful.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

John
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

maniac wrote: I was wondering if you can write step by step process.. from the top (install wine) and so on
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0c8aaba ... e65fea9126
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4992
dds-tape

Post by dds-tape »

Solution:

open winecfg->libaries
set gdiplus and riched20 to native/windows

start application with

export WINEARCH=win32 && WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/ && wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Microsoft\ Office/OFFICE12/WINWORD.EXE 
regards dds-tape
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dds-tape wrote:Solution:

open winecfg->libaries
set gdiplus and riched20 to native/windows

start application with

export WINEARCH=win32 && WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/ && wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Microsoft\ Office/OFFICE12/WINWORD.EXE 
regards dds-tape
An override for gdiplus is not needed for Office 2007 and will prevent it from working. And since the OP's problem was solved some time ago, I have to wonder why you are resurrecting this old thread. Trying to establish yourself as a legitimate user before bombarding us with spam, perhaps?
dds-tape

Post by dds-tape »

OT:
in my case it worked, i don't plan to bomb anybody with spam.
i thought it would be nice to summarize the way, cause not anybody understands english as well as you do, beside this it's nice to keep such threads up to date. it's annoying to read threads that are years old and hope that it's content is still actual.
but thanks for the nice welcome.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dds-tape wrote:OT:
in my case it worked, i don't plan to bomb anybody with spam.
i thought it would be nice to summarize the way, cause not anybody understands english as well as you do, beside this it's nice to keep such threads up to date. it's annoying to read threads that are years old and hope that it's content is still actual.
but thanks for the nice welcome.
You're not helping anyone by posting incorrect information.
abscomputing

Post by abscomputing »

Long-winded answer to the original question / request...

From what I have read, wine installs by default as a 64 bit installation (I suppose for 64 bit OSes.) This creates problems when installing 32 bit applications, in particular, Microsoft Office 2007. To solve these problems, you must create a 32 bit wine prefix (also called bottle) in it’s own directory.

The default wine prefix installs in a hidden subdirectory named .wine under the linux user’s home directory.

To create a 32 bit wine prefix...:
Terminal >
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg (paste the preceding)
This creates an unhidden win32 (prefix) directory in the linux user’s home directory.

next is not really needed for the answer but I include it for the sake of information...
If you wish to create a separate 64 bit prefix...:
Terminal >
WINEPREFIX=~/win64 winecfg (paste the preceding)
This creates an unhidden win64 (prefix) directory in the linux user’s home directory.

To modify the wine configuration of either of the above...
WINEPREFIX=~/win32 (or 64) winecfg

To install software:
Terminal >
WINEPREFIX=~/win32 (or 64) wine control > Add/remove programs > Browse to the setup.exe or msi installer > select and continue
Note that mounted USB drives (at least in my experience) DO NOT show up as available to install programs. CD’s DO show up and can be used to install programs.

Winecfg modifications are suggested - see the “Desktop Integration” tab - in particular, the documents setting which defaults to the HOME directory rather than the “documents” folder within the home directory. Note that ALL (32 bit and 64 bit) wine prefix user data folders are linked/mapped by default to the real linux users home data (pick the folder /pics/music/etc EXCEPT for documents) folder, even though the wine user folders start in a users folder within the wine prefix folder.

If you use the winecfg inside the Linux (in my case - Mint) menus, you will be configuring the default (.wine) prefix. Same for winetricks in the Mint menuing system. It seems that winecfg could benefit from a tool to select the prefix you wish to configure. I need to investigate this more.

All of the above research first, experimenting and writing second came about because my installation of Wine and then Microsoft Office left me with unusable MS Office 2007 applications and errors referencing MSXML installation needed, can’t save template files, repair/reinstall requests and so forth. Here is how I solved the problem. The following assumes that you have already installed wine in a 64 bit version of linux.

NOTE: If you have not (also) installed Office like I did, you can skip to step 2
1) I removed the existing wine installation folders, menu items, etc, per these steps:
Terminal > opened to home directory (you can verify by the “ls - a” command to see that the .wine directory is present)
rm -rf .wine
rm -f /.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
rm -rf /.local/share/applications/wine
rm -f /.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
rm -f /.local/share/icons/????_*.{xpm,png}
rm -f /.local/share/icons/*-x-wine-*.{xpm,png}

2) Make sure you have created 32 bit Wine prefix as explained above
Terminal > WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg

3) Using winecfg (for the 32bit prefix), make sure the version of Wine is set to Windows XP

4) As mentioned above.... run setup.exe from the Office CD using the wine control tool configuring in the 32bit prefix per the following:
Terminal > WINEPREFIX=~/win32 wine control > Add/remove programs etc.

5) After Office is installed, one override is necessary. Without it, Powerpoint and Infopath with not start, and some dialog boxes in other Office apps will not display correctly.
Note... I did not use the following steps. Instead, I used winecfg for the /win32 prefix
+++ recommended by http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4992 +++
Follow the steps below:
Open winecfg by going to Applications > Wine > Configure Wine. Or open a terminal and type:
winecfg
+++ end of winecfg recommendation +++

+++ what I did and this worked for me +++
Terminal > WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg
+++ end of what I did +++

+++ website recommendation continues..... (I also performed these steps and all office apps are working as of this writing)
In the Libraries tab in the area labeled "New override for library" type in riched20.dll and click on Add.
You will see it appear in the list below. Now select the riched20 in the list that we just added and click on the Edit button.
Set it to Native (Windows) and click OK.
This will allow Powerpoint and the other applications to run correctly.
Note :Do not install riched20 with winetricks. Office 2007 installs its own version of riched20.
If Office is installed in a separate wineprefix (strongly recommended), you can safely set the override globally. If not, set the overrides separately for each Office application. Note that if you do the latter you must set the override for all exes installed by Office, not just the main ones.

Installing Service Pack notes:
Service Packs install correctly for versions 1.3.18 through 1.3.20, and 1.3.22 and later. In 1.3.21 the installer­ will report success, but PDF and ODF support are not added.

more website notes...
(updated 2011-10-27)
Note : Do not file bug reports for the installer if you have used any native DLLs.
Once installed, the following tweaks may be needed:

wingdings.ttf: Most of the default bullet characters are from this font; if it is not installed on your system, Wine will substitute characters from a font that is installed on your system. If you want the bullets to look the same as they do in Windows, install this font.

The above are the most commonly-used tweaks. Individual AppDB entries may contain additional, app-specific information.
+++ end of website notes/recommendations +++

That’s it. Hopefully, this is clear enough for you to solve any problems you might have installing Office under Wine in 64bit linux. I know it’s long-winded. BUT... the very short answers I read, though they pointed in the right direction, were more confusing than helpful.

Here are the websites I used when compiling the preceding:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4992
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0c8aaba ... e65fea9126
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

Wow! what a tutorial .... really great
Is it possible to install anx64 office 2007 on x64Ubuntu 14.04 and x64wine1.7?
This is what I am trying to instal, but I get this MSXML5.0 errors.
I can't open existing docs or spreadsheets nor can save anything.
Can such combination work?
My x64Office2007 works fine on native Win7 (x64).
Thanks.
CAW
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

chrisadalbert wrote:Is it possible to install anx64 office 2007 on x64Ubuntu 14.04 and x64wine1.7?
AFAIK, there is no 64 bit version of Office 2007. Office 2010 was the first version to have a 64 bit version, and no, it doesn't work in Wine. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=31
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

OK, I didn't know Office 2007 comes only as x32 - great!
To start a fresh, I re-installed Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine 1.7 and Winetricks.
At the end of the install I got the following ...
"N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension"
... while executing "sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks"
Is it catastrophic? hope not.
Then I proceeded to "WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg"
And I got:
"wine: created the configuration directory '/home/chris/win32'
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xdbe880, overlapped 0xdbe88c): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/chris/win32' has been updated.
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" and Wine configuration window popped up.
This doesn't feel right ... so I did not attempt to install the Office 2007 yet - should I? How to fix the above errors?
Thanks for your help.
CAW
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

chrisadalbert wrote: N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension"
... while executing "sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks"
Is it catastrophic? hope not.
Don't know. Ask on the Ubuntu forum.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
You need to fix that; install winbind.
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

I installed the winbind, no errors.
Then I progressed to install Office 2007 - went OK - no errors.
Word - works fine
Excel - works fine
Picture Manager - works fine
OneNote - works fine
PowerPoint - won't even start
Outlook - won't start
So ... all-in-all ... I got the most important application for me - Excel - working fine.
The rest ... it would be nice if they worked too, but it is not critical for me.
It says though ... Wine has still some way to go, so-far-so-good, but .... :-)
Thanks for all the help, comments,advice and guidance.
CAW
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Set riched20 to native.
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

It is set to native, rebooted after setting it to native ...
I also re-installed the PowerPoint separately from the Office suite...nothing.
The first run does nothing ... no messages, no nothing.
The second run, immediately after the first one, advises that he last start was unsuccessful and offers to star in the safe mode (Yes/No). Either selection - Yes/No - has the same result ... nothing, no action, messages ... nothing.
It is a curly one .... it seems.
CAW
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

In my experience, once Powerpoint fails to start it sometimes messes up the wineprefix so that it will never start. Try reinstalling everything to a clean 32 bit wineprefix following the instructions in the AppDB. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4992
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

Yeah ... that was my thinking too ... start again ...
Thanks for your advice
CAW
chrisadalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisadalbert »

Success at last!
After many hours of installing and re-installing I got everything working fine - it seems.
All Office 2007 Applications work - start, load, save .... they all seem to work as normal.
I noticed one problem though ... Excel, Word, PowerPoint cannot access my LAN.
Excel just locks up, Word and PowerPoint say "The file name, location or format "My Network Places' is not valid ...." - but ... that's another problem to sort out.
Thank you all good people for your interest, help and guidance - I learnt A LOT from you all!
Thank you.
CAW