Force Feedback / Vibration

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
TheLinuxist
Level 2
Level 2

Force Feedback / Vibration

Post by TheLinuxist »

Hello,

I bought a steering wheel for racing games some time ago (a SpeedLink Darkfire). Works great in wine, but no vibration. Actually it works if I use fftest. Just not in wine.
I use Ubuntu 11.04, wine 1.3.28 (which is the most recent development version right now). The wheel is connected by USB. Wine also says something about it:

Code: Select all

fixme:dinput:JoystickWImpl_SendForceFeedbackCommand No direct actuator control in linux
I found some things on the net, but they were older. I already tried overriding dinput.dll, didn't help me.
I have a Pentium 4 CPU (32bit), 4 GB's of RAM, an NVidia Graphics Card with 1 GB of Memory.
Is there any help for me or will I just have to play without FF?
Thank you in advance.
vitamin

Re: Force Feedback / Vibration

Post by vitamin »

TheLinuxist wrote:Works great in wine, but no vibration. Actually it works if I use fftest. Just not
Wine's support of force-feedback is incomplete and some-what buggy.

To get as close as possible to working, remove /dev/js* and /dev/input/js* files to force Wine using evdev driver for joysticks. Also make sure that you have read-write permissions on corresponding evdev device for your joystick (one of /dev/input/event*).
TheLinuxist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheLinuxist »

I tried that. Now, something strange happens: I usually don't have any Vibration effects ingame, but sometimes, appearently randomly, they are turned on for a second, then turning off again.
You're right, it still is buggy...
Anyway, this is combined with the following messages, appearing in the log now and then:

fixme:dinput:LinuxInputEffectImpl_GetEffectStatus Not enough information to provide a status.
and

fixme:dinput:joy_polldev joystick cannot handle type 21 event (code 0)
Seems like I will have to be patient with ff... But I think I can live with that.