How to load an ISO as a “CD” to satisfy “insert CD” prompt?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
LPMusicLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LPMusicLJ »

I am trying to run my own legal copy of Propellerhead Reason 2.5 through Wine on latest Ubuntu on Asus netbook, which has no optical drive. When the application starts, it asks me to “Please insert the CD”, which I thought I knew how to do because after all, I had to mount the one of the three ISOs to start the installation.

I run this

Code: Select all

wine Reason.exe
, and get this (output of wine Rebirth.exe &> /tmp/log.txt 2>&1.)

fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)
This code repeats itself once a second while the GUI of the application Reason prompts me for “Please insert the CD <cd name>, Waiting for CD...”. There is only a button for “Quit”. This is the normal behavior, just like how Windows does it. In fact, after this CD load, it will request I load another CD before it lets me enter serial number

This is how I mount the CD prior to executing the command line wine Reason.exe.

netbook@netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls
c:  e:  e::  f:  h:  z:
netbook@netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ unlink e:
netbook@netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ unlink e::
c:  f:  h:  z:

netbook@netbook-901:~$ cd ReBirth/
netbook@netbook-901:~/ReBirth$ ls
demos                            Propellerhead
Reason2.5_Disc1.iso
Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso
netbook#1.rbs                     Reason2.5_Disc3Sound_Bank.iso
netbook #2.rbs                    Reason Installation wine errors.txt
mountng.txt                      rebirth_iso_installation.iso
netbook@netbook-901:~/ReBirth$ sudo mount -o loop Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso /mnt/reason2

netbook@netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ln -s /mnt/reason2 e:
netbook@netbook-901:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ln -s ~/ReBirth/Reason2.5_Disc2Orkester.iso  e::
c:  e:  e::  f:  h:  z:
Rebirth 2.5 is not in the AppDB, but the subsequent versions are (i.e. 3.x, 4.0,5.0). I’d like to run 2.5 because that is the version I own and run on my Windows Digital Audio Workstation counterpart.

I’m running wine version 1.2.3

I do not understand the switches of the link and mount commands very well, nor do I understand how wine ‘sees’ the virtual CD-ROM drive. I am adapting instructions from this page, which I successfully completed to run ReBirth, Reason’s predecessor.

I believe this will work. Could someone just help me mount the ISO CD correctly? I also will need to know how to put in a 'second CD' while "ingame". I assume I could just create two virtual CD-ROM drives and am willing to do that.

I recreated the ISOs from the original CDs again when all of this failed the first time, but that did not help. The same CDs works in Windows. I even copied the entire subdirectory from "Program Files" and dropped into the corresponding wine folder thinking these files were 'activated', and I get the same as stated above.

Thank you for your time.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Use winecfg (Drives tab) to map the mounted isos to drive letters.

Mounting an iso is not true cd emulation, and if your app wants to communicate directly with the cd hardware it won't work. You may need cd emulation software such as CDEmu. Search the forum for more details; this has come up many times.
LPMusicLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LPMusicLJ »

dimesio wrote:Use winecfg (Drives tab) to map the mounted isos to drive letters.
I tried mounting and emulating the ISO images any which way I could think of, not that my strategy was fully comprehensive due to my lack of knowledge on this matter.

I had difficulty learning to use CDEmu, so I tried AcetoneISO, which was much more intuitive once I figured out where Acetone mounts its images, which was in ~/virtual-drives/1/.

No matter what I tried, I still get this error repeating in the shell while the GUI is asking me to insert a CD.

fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)
What does this error mean?

I haven't been able to find any conclusive information about this error. There was something about .NET, and something about whatever ioctl is.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

LPMusicLJ wrote: I had difficulty learning to use CDEmu, so I tried AcetoneISO, which was much more intuitive once I figured out where Acetone mounts its images, which was in ~/virtual-drives/1/.
AcetoneISO does not emulate the hardware, it merely mounts the iso.
LPMusicLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LPMusicLJ »

dimesio wrote: AcetoneISO does not emulate the hardware, it merely mounts the iso.
Thank you, dimesio, for the clarification. I was not aware of this.

As I was messing around with this, I remember unlinking my "e::" (e double colon) from my ReBirth installation, which also prompts for a CD during execution. Despite attempting to remount the ISO via winecfg, it did not work, and I recieved the same error message as above---Unsopported ioctrl 24000 (device=2 access=1 funct=0, etc.

So, I will attempt to adapt viktor4124's post from September 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM, found here. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-846551.html

I think there is an issue with between differentiating between pointing to the mount and pointing the mount to the 'device'.
Jim Hall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jim Hall »

How about useing an external CD drive to do the install? Easier,
unless the program requires a CD to run.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Since we've already gone here...
How about useing an external CD drive to do the install? Easier,
It probably will. And CDEmu + gCDEmu are easy to use and install.

Personally, I avoid optical media whenever possible. I make images of my originals and store them on my external hard drive.

The originals go in a drive once.

That way they don't get scratched. And I have a backup if the disc is lost, damaged, or destroyed; which they shouldn't because I leave them in a cabinet and use the images instead.

A loaded image is mounted instantly, whereas a physical disc takes a while to rev-up, assemble frames into sectors, apply error correction, extract digital data from analog data, fight to maintain constant linear velocity, and all the other uniquely weirdly slow things they do.

I don't have to face the organizational hazard of optical discs.
I don't have to get up, get my optical disc "book", flip through, get the disc I want, put it in the computer, and reverse the process to put it back. That would defeat the purpose of having files on a computer.

Of course, there is the chance of accidental image file deletion, or the hard drive that was storing them to otherwise loose one or more than one image file. So the discs in the cabinet aren't pointless.

And md5 hashes are your friend.
Jake
smaver

Re: How to load an ISO as a “CD” to satisfy “insert CD” prom

Post by smaver »

Jim Hall wrote:How about useing an external CD drive to do the install? Easier,
I ended up using these method too. All frustrations gone in a sec.

Good luck !!!
LPMusicLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to load an ISO as a “CD” to satisfy “insert CD” prom

Post by LPMusicLJ »

Jim Hall wrote:How about useing an external CD drive to do the install? Easier,
I don't have one, and yes, the program requires some type of CD to run. I gave up on this. Apparently, others have encountered the same problem on higher versions of this software and have gotten past it going the same route that I tried, but it just didn't work for me.

The software asks for two CDs from its collection of three, and I couldn't even get the disc 2 to be seen. If I could get it to be seen, then I think I could do this on the fly for disc 3 because that's what others have done.

I may try again in the future once Wine goes to a higher version.

I should probably just be happy with ReBirth and forgo Reason.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Did you succeed in installing CDEmu? If not, it's easy:

Step 0: be connected to Internet.
Now these in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cdemu/ppa
("sudo apt-get update" might be a good idea here, but you might be able to get away without it)
sudo apt-get install cdemu
sudo apt-get install gcdemu
(actual package name in above two lines might be wrong, going by memory. If they don't work, enter them in your GUI package manager.)
And like I said before, another "sudo apt-get update" could be good here.

Then right-click the panel, say "add to panel", and add the gCDemu applet. If it isn't an option to add to the panel, restart.

#Now give your brain a halftime. Moving onto seperate concept.

Now right-click the applet you put in the panel, and mount up to two images.

Go to winecfg and associate the mount paths of the virtual optical drive(s) with WINE drive letters.

Then swap as nessicary. Mount new images and then go in and assosiate them to WINE drive letters.

Cheers,
Jake