Ashen Empires

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Ashen Empires

Post by liamdawe »

Okay guys just did my yearly submit for what i maintain:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=3811

Still garbage, can anyone take a look and see if they can find a way to get past the server login screen? It hasn't worked for like 4 years in wine, think it's about time we got to the bottom of it?
jjmckenzie

Ashen Empires

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 8/28/11 5:11 PM, liamdawe wrote:
Okay guys just did my yearly submit for what i maintain:

Still garbage, can anyone take a look and see if they can find a way to get past the server login screen? It hasn't worked for like 4 years in wine, think it's about time we got to the bottom of it?
No bug report? How about trying to capture a log file using the
instructions in the FAQ and posting them to a site like pastebin.com?

Also, does this program use some sort of DRM/PunkBuster to control who
can log in?

James
dimesio

Re: Ashen Empires

Post by dimesio »

liamdawe wrote:Okay guys just did my yearly submit for what i maintain:

I was able to login to a server, create a character, and enter with winetricks ie6 wininet. I didn't test anything beyond having my character walk around, which seems to work okay, though the mouse is kind of flakey. There are also some 3D rendering issues.
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ashen Empires

Post by liamdawe »

jjmckenzie wrote:No bug report? How about trying to capture a log file using the
instructions in the FAQ and posting them to a site like pastebin.com?

Also, does this program use some sort of DRM/PunkBuster to control who
can log in?

James
Give me a break i haven't been doing this for long nor i am i an expert, just a user trying to find ways to help.
dimesio wrote: I was able to login to a server, create a character, and enter with winetricks ie6 wininet. I didn't test anything beyond having my character walk around, which seems to work okay, though the mouse is kind of flakey. There are also some 3D rendering issues.
Looking through my winetricks i have no IE or wininet? Or did you install via a download?
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

Okay i find it odd that winetricks in my install doesn't list certain things but doing it via command line works.

I installed wininet but "winetricks ie6 wininet" does not work for me, server cannot find the file?

So trying on a native wininet the games launcher is now completely unusable.

Ps. Is it possible to allow us to edit posts so i don't keep having to reply with new info?
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

Here is a pastebin of terminal output from the point of launching, to me closing the server chooser and then the launcher.

http://pastebin.com/JdarGjEh

This is without using the downloaded wininet since that borked the launcher even more for me.
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

It seems it doesn't like this:

fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!

A fair few of that.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

liamdawe wrote:It seems it doesn't like this:

fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!

A fair few of that.
I got lots of those during the install and patching, which I did without any overrides. That's why I tried native wininet.
Here is a pastebin of terminal output from the point of launching, to me closing the server chooser and then the launcher.

http://pastebin.com/JdarGjEh
That terminal output shows you're also not using ie6. It's the same as what I got before I tried anything.

I installed both ie6 and wininet with winetricks. The winetricks version I'm using is 20110629. I installed wininet before I installed ie6, and ran the commands separately; that may make a difference. I am also running it in an emulated virtual desktop. Try all that in a clean wineprefix.

FYI, sound doesn't work (no PulseAudio on my system).
Ps. Is it possible to allow us to edit posts so i don't keep having to reply with new info?
No. See the sticky at the top of the forum for why.
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

I am using the same version of winetricks as i am using the beta PPA.

But winetricks cannot find the download for ie6, it must have been removed?

Any idea why certain things like corefonts for example doesn't appear in my winetricks?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

liamdawe wrote:I am using the same version of winetricks as i am using the beta PPA.

But winetricks cannot find the download for ie6, it must have been removed?
Possibly; I have ie6 in my winetricks cache. I just tested ie7; it also works, so try that. Set wininet to native in winecfg after installing it (winetricks ie7 installs it, but doesn't set the override).
Any idea why certain things like corefonts for example doesn't appear in my winetricks?
I pretty much stick with the command line, but from what I remember of the winetricks GUI menu, the organization of the submenus was pretty arbitrary. It's probably somewhere you wouldn't think to look.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

FYI, I just added a test report to the AppDB. I noticed your test report was for 1.3.26; I am using 1.3.27. If you haven't upgraded, do so.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

I can confirm installing IE7 and setting wininet to native actually fixes the issues.

What would be my next step to getting this in normal Wine?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

liamdawe wrote: What would be my next step to getting this in normal Wine?
File bugs for the parts of Wine that aren't working. The problem with wininet is one bug, the stuff from IE7 may be several things.
liamdawe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by liamdawe »

I will probably get it completely wrong, but i will give it a go...