Japanese and Korean Fonts inside Wine.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
nenik

Japanese and Korean Fonts inside Wine.

Post by nenik »

I installed Ubuntu in English.
How now, "Wine" to force to show the Korean (Hangeul) and Japanese (Hiragana/Katakana/kanji) fonts?.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

You can use localegen to add locales to the system (for example ja_JP.SHIFT_JIS). Then you can run the application in the appropriate locale by doing:

Code: Select all

LANG=ja_JP.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe
Make sure you also have some Korean and Japanese fonts installed. You can find them in the Add/Remove applications program, I believe.
nenik

Post by nenik »

For korean:

LANG=kr_KR.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe ??

For Chinese
LANG=zh_CN.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe

??
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

nenik wrote:For korean:

LANG=kr_KR.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe ??

For Chinese
LANG=zh_CN.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe

??
No, there's different character sets for that. SHIF_JIS is really meant for Japanese.

I might be wrong, but Korean has two character sets:
ko_KR.EUC-KR
ko_KR.UTF-8

And Chinese has these:
Simplified:
zh_CN.GB2312
zh_CN.GBK
zh_CN.GB18030
zh_CN.UTF-8

Traditional:
zh_TW.Big5
zh_TW.Big5-HKSCS
zh_TW.UTF-8

Source is http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0 ... e.doc.html

I recommend that you try them in order. Older, or lazily written software, will usually not be written in Unicode (UTF-8), which means that they will have to use any of the other specialized character sets for that locale, like GB2312. The reason for this is because there have been a lot of different implementations in the past in how to handle all these special character sets, until UTF-8 came along and fixed it all. Of course, applications have to try and start supporting UTF-8 all on their own; software written in any other character set will have to use those.

It's comparable to old English apps actually using ASCII (but all ASCII characters are still in the exact same spot in UTF-8, so they will work without having to switch to ASCII anyway. This is not true for every other character set out there).
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

I might also have been wrong about SHIFT_JIS, or that page I referenced is incomplete. The Japanese character sets it shows are:
ja_JP.eucJP
ja_JP.UTF-8