Unlocking Windows-LOCKED HDD

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
rastaman

Post by rastaman »

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you, whether is there a way to unlock a locked HDD (WD SmartWare) under Wine.

Under Windows it should be requesting the set password after it is connected (Autorun?). Under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS 32-bit, running as Live CD) this cannot be achieved.

I am trying to run "autorun.inf" and "Unlock.exe" manually ("Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"), but Wine replies: "Application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting".

I also tried to run "sudo chown..." and "sudo chmod...", but the system replied: "Read-only file system" (that is UDF, by the way).

I also wanted to create a new partition, hoping that I could write into that one, but GParted could not even see it.

The solution is to find a Windows PC and unlock it (I know the password, of course), but I have none available at the moment.

Would anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM, rastaman <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you, whether is there a way to unlock a locked HDD (WD SmartWare) under Wine.

Under Windows it should be requesting the set password after it is connected (Autorun?). Under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS 32-bit, running as Live CD) this cannot be achieved.

I am trying to run "autorun.inf" and "Unlock.exe" manually ("Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"), but Wine replies: "Application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting".

I also tried to run "sudo chown..." and "sudo chmod...", but the system replied: "Read-only file system" (that is UDF, by the way).

I also wanted to create a new partition, hoping that I could write into that one, but GParted could not even see it.

The solution is to find a Windows PC and unlock it (I know the password, of course), but I have none available at the moment.

Would anybody help?
Wine does not allow you to run windows device drivers or talk directly
to hardware so I would believe this is very doubtful to get that to
work.

John
rastaman

More details

Post by rastaman »

Hi John,

thanks for your answer. I have read this elsewhere on this forum (while searching before posting).

Just, please, let me add, that I am also trying to run other (common) apps, found on the HDD, which are "Virtual CD Manager.exe" and "WD SmartWare.exe", but all return the "...error..." message. Though the "...Manager..." is, from the beginning, pretending to be starting - progress bar appears in a pop-up window, but then it stops loading and returns that message, too.

Best
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Willing to Take A Risk?

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

There IS a Linux native way to unlock hard drives (no WINE or free beer involved). However, they really emphasize how dangerous and untested it is, and to use at your own risk.

You go to terminal and use the hdparam program. You specify the "--security-unlock [password here]" parameter. Here is a link to the man page: http://linux.die.net/man/8/hdparm. Ctrl+f for "ATA Security Feature Set" and it will be under there.

So depending how much you value what's on the drive, you may or may not want to try it.

Cheers,
Jake
rastaman

WD = the Most Secure disk out there

Post by rastaman »

Well, could not install the driver (app) under Win XP. hdparm returns "Permission denied"... :? WD probably makes the most secure HDDs in the universe... :P

Anyway, thanks to all, especially SpawnHappyJake! Perhaps your advice will be helpful to me at some time in the future.

Best to all
rastaman
jorl17
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jorl17 »

If it returns permission denied...

Were you root?
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Take it to the next level.

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

*****After typing this whole thing on my iPhone I read the post that asks if the OP was root...GRRRRRRR!!! Why didn't I think of that! *facepalm*

I'd put more effort into getting the first-party app working. Maybe there's a newer version you can download from the manufacturer's website. Does it specifically need 32-bit Windows or specically need 64-bit Windows? Do you need to allow unsigned drivers for it to install? Do you need to manually install the driver via copying it into the drivers folder and making a registy entry?

Then other than the first party app and hdparam, the only thing I can think of now is to replace the password chip with a new "blank" one. That involves a soldering gun and maybe a magnifying glass.

Or you can pay professionals to do the above for you.

But that's all assuming that it's a firmware password (even the hdparam thing was assuming that).

If it's something superficial such as the filesystem (or perhaps even the whole storage area structuring) encrypted to a password, then you can just nuke it, restructure it (i.e. MBR structuring, GPT structuring, etc.), create one or more partitions, and format the partitions, and you'll be good, but you'll lose all your data.

If it's both firmware protected and encryption protected, you could replace the chip AND nuke it and start over, and of course you'll lose your data.

Hope it works out for you.
Cheers,
Jake
lagartijo

Post by lagartijo »

I-ve found a workaround for this problem, it's no so elegant but it works, you are going to need a virtual machine so what I have is a Windows virtual machine with VirtualBox, I unlock the disk then it appears on Linux and after that you can shutdown the virtual machine and the disk remains attached and working on Linux, if find a better way please let me know :)