Randomly and horribly slow

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
schmidtbag
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schmidtbag »

Just as a heads up, I spent days researching this problem before asking, so I hope to not be wasting anyones time. I also asked on the Ubuntu forums with no replies, so I figured it must be a tricky issue that only the creators of Wine can answer.

Some info you may want:
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04. It works perfectly fine, including 3D. My computer is a 2.2GHz P4, 768MB of RAM, with a Radeon 9200SE. I am dual booting with Windows XP. Yes, I know its bad but I only plan on using this computer for work and its plenty good enough for that. (BTW, this computer is made entirely out of spare parts, I paid nothing for it directly.)

Anyways, I installed Wine and the first program I tried was Trillian (an instant messenger) and it was on my Windows XP partition. Trillian has more options and features than Pidgin so I preferred to use that. It ran fine, so I figured I'd install it. So I ran the setup. I don't remember if I changed anything before I ran the setup but ever since, every single program I run with Wine, even paint, goes horribly slow. It doesn't matter if its 3D or if its practically non graphical at all. I uninstalled Wine, removed the hidden files in my home folder, and even updated it to 1.0 but it still won't do anything. I disabled compiz and that made an unnoticeable performance difference. I tried disabled as many features I could find in Wine's controls, which also did nothing. I did download the recommended packages, I tried Crossover, and I tried PlayOnLinux. None of those did anything. glxgears has a framerate range of about 850, which IMO sounds reasonable for this crappy hardware and should be good enough to handle any basic 2D program, but I could be wrong.

What can I do about this? I don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, I just finished setting up everything just as I want it. Any input is much appreciated.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM, schmidtbag <[email protected]> wrote:
Just as a heads up, I spent days researching this problem before asking, so I hope to not be wasting anyones time. I also asked on the Ubuntu forums with no replies, so I figured it must be a tricky issue that only the creators of Wine can answer.

Some info you may want:
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04. It works perfectly fine, including 3D. My computer is a 2.2GHz P4, 768MB of RAM, with a Radeon 9200SE. I am dual booting with Windows XP. Yes, I know its bad but I only plan on using this computer for work and its plenty good enough for that. (BTW, this computer is made entirely out of spare parts, I paid nothing for it directly.)

Anyways, I installed Wine and the first program I tried was Trillian (an instant messenger) and it was on my Windows XP partition. Trillian has more options and features than Pidgin so I preferred to use that. It ran fine, so I figured I'd install it. So I ran the setup. I don't remember if I changed anything before I ran the setup but ever since, every single program I run with Wine, even paint, goes horribly slow. It doesn't matter if its 3D or if its practically non graphical at all. I uninstalled Wine, removed the hidden files in my home folder, and even updated it to 1.0 but it still won't do anything. I disabled compiz and that made an unnoticeable performance difference. I tried disabled as many features I could find in Wine's controls, which also did nothing. I did download the recommended packages, I tried Crossover, and I tried PlayOnLinux. None of those did anything. glxgears has a framerate range of about 850, which IMO sounds reasonable for this crappy hardware and should be good enough to handle any basic 2D program, but I could be wrong.

What can I do about this? I don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, I just finished setting up everything just as I want it. Any input is much appreciated.

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ wine notepad

See if that helps. You may have imported a native theme, which
currently isn't well supported.
schmidtbag
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schmidtbag »

...doesn't "rm -rf" remove every file in the OS? i'd rather make sure of that before i attempt it. i've seen warnings of that command.

also, i haven't imported anything. i did a fresh new install of wine before i posted this and i didn't touch it
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM, schmidtbag <[email protected]> wrote:
...doesn't "rm -rf" remove every file? i'd rather make sure of that before i attempt it. i've seen warnings of that command
In your ~/.wine directory, yes. If you want to be careful:
$ mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.bak
$ wine notepad

Will do the same, but backing it up first
hendrik

Post by hendrik »

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 04:49:58PM -0500, Austin English wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM, schmidtbag <[email protected]> wrote:

Some info you may want:

Anyways, I installed Wine and the first program I tried was Trillian
(an instant messenger) and it was on my Windows XP partition.
Trillian has more options and features than Pidgin so I preferred to
use that. It ran fine, so I figured I'd install it. So I ran the
setup. I don't remember if I changed anything before I ran the
setup but ever since, every single program I run with Wine, even
paint, goes horribly slow. It doesn't matter if its 3D or if its
practically non graphical at all. I uninstalled Wine, removed the
hidden files in my home folder, and even updated it to 1.0 but it
still won't do anything.
Did you just uninstall it, or did you purge it? Purge removes all the
configuration files as well. If you just uninstall, and then reinstall,
the old configuration files stay around.

There's also the possibility that you might have installed a different
version of wine the second time, perhaps one with a disastrous bug.

-- hendrik
schmidtbag
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schmidtbag »

i did remove all files in my home folder as well as doing a complete uninstall from the synaptic package manager if thats what you mean. and i downloaded wine about 3 times. i tried the "$rm -rf ~/.wine" and "$wine notepad" idea and i got no luck. i think i'll just stick with a VM until i hear more news about wine. luckily i don't really NEED it, so whatever i use a vm for is for things that wine couldn't run even if it wasn't going slow.

thanks anyway