Wine integration in Ubuntu 11.04

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Aerilius
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aerilius »

There are several changes where this distribution develops away from classic desktops:
- maximized windows use panel instead of title bar
- global menu
- overlay scrollbars

I guess the last two will stay as inconsistencies for a long time (if not someone manages to get the windows menu into the panel), but I thought that maximised windows shouldn't behave different than they used to.

However I experienced strange behaviors with many applications:
When a window is maximized (= title bar is replaced by panel), the cursor position seems still to consider the height of the title bar. Thus a click on a toolbar icon results in a click event on the icon above; a click on the upper toolbar icon results in a click event for the menu.

When you click on the menu, the whole window "jumps out" of the panel and displays as a normal maximized window below the panel.

This is the case for Google SketchUp, ACDLabs ChemSketch, etc.
This is not the case for Mozilla Firefox 3 (Windows version).

Has someone experienced similar things? Is it likely that it can be fixed sooner or later in Wine, or is it rather an issue for Ubuntu?
dimesio

Re: Wine integration in Ubuntu 11.04

Post by dimesio »

Aerilius wrote:Is it likely that it can be fixed sooner or later in Wine, or is it rather an issue for Ubuntu?
It's an Ubuntu problem.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Aerilius wrote:Is it likely that it can be fixed sooner or later in Wine, or is it rather an issue for Ubuntu?
Most likely it won't be fixed in Wine. Report bugs to ubuntu.
Peter-Alexander

Post by Peter-Alexander »

Yes, I experience the same problem. Very annoying.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

I wouldn't recommend using Unity, for everyday use, before the next Ubuntu LTS. I'll personally be sticking to Linux-Mint with Metacity/Compiz and/or KVM.

It's kind of like my days flirtation with OpenSUSE recently and finding something I wanted to install wasn't in any of their repository (or 3rd party repositories) and I couldn't even compile it from source (due to further missing dependencies)!

Inevitably the mainstream stuff tends to win out in the end... Some of the ideas in Unity are pretty good (I do like Mr Shuttleworth's 'invisible' scrollbar idea) - but it should be a win-win and these ideas should be adopted into Gnome and KDE (if they are useful enough).

Bob
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 09:10 -0500, Bob Wya wrote:
Inevitably the mainstream stuff tends to win out in the end... Some of
the ideas in Unity are pretty good (I do like Mr Shuttleworth's
'invisible' scrollbar idea) - but it should be a win-win and these
ideas should be adopted into Gnome and KDE (if they are useful
enough).
Are you aware that Gnome 3 is about to replace Gnome 2 in the upcoming
Fedora 15 release and its reportedly fairly different to Gnome 2.

If you want a look, this page
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/public ... a/15-Beta/
says where to get it from as an ISO image.

Martin
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Are you aware that Gnome 3 is about to replace Gnome 2 in the upcoming
Fedora 15 release and its reportedly fairly different to Gnome 2.

If you want a look, this page
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/public ... a/15-Beta/
says where to get it from as an ISO image.

Martin[/quote]

Now really OT... :roll:

Yeh I have watched a promo video Gnome 3. I wasn't exactly awe struck by what was being offered! 8)

My current preferred Desktop setup is to use Linux-Mint KDE base (KVM+Kicker) with an GTK AWN dock+DockbarX. In terms of usability, looks and productivity for a 'Poweruser' that combination completely outstrips Windows 7 (which is good in itself and has an excellent Desktop Manager UI).

Now if someone could port DockbarX properly to KVM (as a panel plugin) that would be sweet! I have read some of the KVM developer comments and they come over as saying 'we know how the UI should look - you think you want a dock - but you don't really'! The more choice a user is offered the more likely they are to find a setup that matches their particular needs...

The Gnome development teams marginalizing of Unity is another really stupid management decision. Mark Shuttleworth was quite clear that he wanted the concepts from Unity to be ported to and available in Gnome as well. It could have been a real win-win situation for the end-users.

These development teams need to stop working so much in isolation and actually look at what is good in the other teams portfolios (including 3-party add-ons) and adopt some of them...

Bob
Tootler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tootler »

I installed ubuntu 10.10 netbook on my Acer Aspire One and found it had the unity desktop.

When I installed wine, no wine menu was added to the LH panel. Not a lot of use I think.

I have downgraded to 10.04 and will stick with that until the next LTS - or at least until issues with the unity desktop (and Gnome 3 which I believe is due in 11.10). I am not too keen on the 10.04 netbook edition desktop, but at least it works.

I had already been hanging on with the Linpus Linux Lite as wifi did not work properly with the Aspire One in earlier versions of Ubuntu.

I would describe my self as a reasonably savvy user but not a "power user" and I don't have a deep understanding of the underlying systems. Consequently, I am not prepared, on the whole, to spend too much time hunting around for workarounds for things that do not work properly.

Geoff
Frédéric Delanoy

Post by Frédéric Delanoy »

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 13:05, Tootler <[email protected]> wrote:
I installed ubuntu 10.10 netbook on my Acer Aspire One and found it had the unity desktop.

When I installed wine, no wine menu was added to the LH panel. Not a lot of use I think.

I have downgraded to 10.04 and will stick with that until the next LTS - or at least until issues with the unity desktop (and Gnome 3 which I believe is due in 11.10). I am not too keen on the 10.04 netbook edition desktop, but at least it works.

I had already been hanging on with the Linpus Linux Lite as wifi did not work properly with the Aspire One in earlier versions of Ubuntu.

I would describe my self as a reasonably savvy user but not a "power user" and I don't have a deep understanding of the underlying systems. Consequently, I am not prepared, on the whole, to spend too much time hunting around for workarounds for things that do not work properly.

Geoff
Alternatively Ubuntu Classic (gnome) in natty would probably work
(also it seems to me it's just the same version as maverick, sans
applets, so I'll stick with 10.04 for the time being).
Tootler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tootler »

Frédéric Delanoy wrote: Alternatively Ubuntu Classic (gnome) in natty would probably work
10.04 netbook edition uses Xfce desktop. Presumably unity in 10.10 was a replacement for that as I did not notice an option to use classic Gnome - presumably because classic Gnome requires more resources and many netbooks use fairly small solid state "hard disks" and limited RAM. Mine actually has a 100 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM so would probably be OK with standard Gnome. Maybe I could have tried 10.04 desktop edition. However, I don't really feel like spending another half day setting everything up again just now so I will live with 10.04 netbook edition for now.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tootler wrote: 10.04 netbook edition uses Xfce desktop. Presumably unity in 10.10 was a replacement for that as I did not notice an option to use classic Gnome - presumably because classic Gnome requires more resources and many netbooks use fairly small solid state "hard disks" and limited RAM. Mine actually has a 100 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM so would probably be OK with standard Gnome. Maybe I could have tried 10.04 desktop edition. However, I don't really feel like spending another half day setting everything up again just now so I will live with 10.04 netbook edition for now.
Another reason for not upgrading a netbook just now is the major power usage regressions in the >=2.6.35 kernels. Since this hasn't been fixed in the (as yet unreleased) 2.6.39 kernel it would be a deal breaker for me to 'update' the kernel on a device I wanted to run off battery for a lot of the time...

My laptop's battery life is measurable in minutes - so I don't really care! :P

Bob
Frédéric Delanoy

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 17:45, Tootler <[email protected]> wrote:
Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
10.04 netbook edition uses Xfce desktop. Presumably unity in 10.10 was a replacement for that as I did not notice an option to use classic Gnome - presumably because classic Gnome requires more resources and many netbooks use fairly small solid state "hard disks" and limited RAM.
I seriously doubt classic Gnome (i.e. 2.32) uses more resources than
3D unity... it's basically the same as the version found in Maverick,
with some minor updates.
Mine actually has a 100 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM so would probably be OK with standard Gnome. Maybe I could have tried 10.04 desktop edition. However, I don't really feel like spending another half day setting everything up again just now so I will live with 10.04 netbook edition for now.
Well, after some checking, it's named "Ubuntu classic" and not "Gnome classic".
Note however that natty ships 2.6.38 which suffers power usage
regression, and won't be fixed in 2.6.39 (merge window is closed
already).
So you'd have to use 2.6.35 (maybe using the kernel from Maverick) or
wait for 2.6.40 for another month or two to get a similar battery life
as in Maverick.

Frédéric
Frédéric Delanoy

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 17:45, Tootler <[email protected]> wrote:
Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
10.04 netbook edition uses Xfce desktop. Presumably unity in 10.10 was a replacement for that as I did not notice an option to use classic Gnome - presumably because classic Gnome requires more resources and many netbooks use fairly small solid state "hard disks" and limited RAM. Mine actually has a 100 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM so would probably be OK with standard Gnome. Maybe I could have tried 10.04 desktop edition. However, I don't really feel like spending another half day setting everything up again just now so I will live with 10.04 netbook edition for now.
Note XFCE found in (x)ubuntu in natty is a big update compared to
previous versions
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fred2 »

Now will that offset bug be fixed in Unity or in Wine? :?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/7 ... omments/12
I'm also experiencing this.