New video card; wine freezing

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
zBrain

Post by zBrain »

Hello,

I want to play Eve Online in Wine. It was working (mostly) on my old card, a GTX 280, using the nvidia driver. It was the 3rd card I've had from Nvidia in a row with manufacturing defects, so I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine. I am using fglrx, and have a dual head setup using xrandr.

When I log in, I get to the screen where it is entering the game after I click to select my character, the bar gets to about 75% and my screen stops updating. The computer will respond to ACPI shutdown via the soft power button, the cursor moves, and I can see HDD activity, so it is not totally frozen, but I can not see any updates to the screen.

I have UseFastTLS set to 2 in xorg.conf as per http://wiki.winehq.org/fglrx, and tried several different compilation options with Wine, and still get the same behavior. Compiling with threads off failed for me, so I don't know if that is part of it.

My first question is how should I start Wine to capture useful debug output to a file? Once the issue triggers I have to reboot, so this is my only real option at this point.

Thanks for any help.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM, zBrain <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

I want to play Eve Online in Wine. It was working (mostly) on my old card, a GTX 280, using the nvidia driver. It was the 3rd card I've had from Nvidia
in a row with manufacturing defects, so I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine. I am using fglrx, and have a dual head
setup using xrandr.

When I log in, I get to the screen where it is entering the game after I click to select my character, the bar gets to about 75% and my screen stops
updating. The computer will respond to ACPI shutdown via the soft power button, the cursor moves, and I can see HDD activity, so it is not totally
frozen, but I can not see any updates to the screen.

I have UseFastTLS set to 2 in xorg.conf as per http://wiki.winehq.org/fglrx, and tried several different compilation options with Wine, and still get the
same behavior. Compiling with threads off failed for me, so I don't know if that is part of it.

My first question is how should I start Wine to capture useful debug output to a file? Once the issue triggers I have to reboot, so this is my only real
option at this point.
The Wine FAQ details how to capture to a log file.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

James McKenzie
zBrain

Post by zBrain »

Ok, here is the log file.

Interestingly, my screen did not freeze up this time, but the game did crash very shortly after log in.

There is no debugger output here, don't know if that is normal.
fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x1270e8, L"C:\\Program Files\\CCP\\EVE\\eve.exe", 0x32fdac)
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x58e000 0 0x33f838 4
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33853c,0x00000000), stub!
err:threadpool:iocp_poller NtRemoveIoCompletion failed: 0xc0000008
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x30024 0x00000000
fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x30024, 0x160a88): stub
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #1:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #5:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #9:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #12:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #15:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #18:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #22:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #26:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #30:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #34:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #38:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #42:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #46:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #50:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #54:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #58:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #61:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #64:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #1:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #5:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #9:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #13:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #17:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #21:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #25:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #29:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #32:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #35:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #39:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #43:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #47:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #51:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #55:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #58:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #61:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #66:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #67:
err:d3d_surface:surface_bind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glBindTexture @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 625
err:d3d_surface:surface_bind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexParameteri @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 631
err:d3d_surface:surface_allocate_surface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexImage2D @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 988
err:d3d:context_attach_depth_stencil_fbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glFramebufferTexture2D() @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/context.c / 232
err:d3d:context_attach_depth_stencil_fbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glFramebufferTexture2D() @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/context.c / 240
err:d3d_surface:surface_bind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glBindTexture @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 625
err:d3d_surface:surface_bind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexParameteri @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 631
err:d3d_surface:surface_allocate_surface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexImage2D @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/surface.c / 988
err:d3d:context_attach_depth_stencil_fbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glFramebufferTexture2D() @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/context.c / 232
err:d3d:context_attach_depth_stencil_fbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glFramebufferTexture2D() @ /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.3.14/work/wine-1.3.14/dlls/wined3d/context.c / 240
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #71:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #74:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #77:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #80:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #83:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #85:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #87:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #89:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #93:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #96:
fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_CLOSECANDIDATE
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #99:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #103:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #106:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #110:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #113:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #116:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #120:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #124:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #127:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #130:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #133:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #137:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #141:
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
err:d3d9:device_parent_CreateSurface (0x1664e4) CreateSurface failed, returning 0x8876017c
fixme:d3d_texture:texture_init Failed to create surface 0x20d96e28, hr 0x8876017c
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000015 at address 0x5e2d13e (thread 0020), starting debugger...
vitamin

Re: New video card; wine freezing

Post by vitamin »

zBrain wrote:I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine.
So why did you buy it then? If you want to use it with Wine, take it back and get nvidia card. ANY nvidia card will be better with Wine then any ati card.
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

Yeah, go back to Nvidia and don't go for a top of the line model. The really highend boards are not always the best quality wise. Those boards mostly exists for benchmarking/marketing reasons and easily overheat. Get a decent midend card like the 560Ti.
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New video card; wine freezing

Post by Usurp »

vitamin wrote:
zBrain wrote:I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine.
So why did you buy it then? If you want to use it with Wine, take it back and get nvidia card. ANY nvidia card will be better with Wine then any ati card.
Don't change OP sayings by omission please ^^
It was working (mostly) on my old card, a GTX 280, using the nvidia driver. It was the 3rd card I've had from Nvidia in a row with manufacturing defects, so I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine.
zBrain

Post by zBrain »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#Problems
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=192211
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401

That is why I don't want another NV card. I'm sure ATI has their own set of issues, but my personal experiences with NV lately have left me very jaded. I've been a customer of theirs since they bought out the Voodoo cards.

So, it looks like I'm left with a choice of crap hardware that makes my entire computer useless, or crap drivers that make wine useless (until the OSS drivers mature, anyway...)

I'll put in a request to RMA my 280 to a different card, and keep the ATI card around to play with the OSS drivers until I can use them. I won't be buying another NV card in the forseeable future.