Wine font problem

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
habl

Wine font problem

Post by habl »

Hi all,

I got a problem with Wine. I compiled Wine from source on Debian Squeeze. Everything is working perfect, only fonts aren't loaded well. The Window buttons are always showed as weird characters (differs sometimes) and in games all text exists of squares. See the screens:

winecfg:

GTA San Andreas Multiplayer:

I tried to copy all fonts from a Windows 7 installation to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ (this worked on an Ubuntu install before) but it looks like Wine doesn't do anything with the fonts. Also tried the winetricks script to install fonts, but neither worked.

Running wine in debug mode doesn't give usefull information (I think), I only got these errors (a lot of more identical lines):

Code: Select all

err:wincodecs:PngEncoder_CreateInstance Trying to save PNG picture, but PNG support is not compiled in.
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {00000103-a8f2-4877-ba0a-fd2b6645fb94} of class {27949969-876a-41d7-9447-568f6a35a4dc}, hres is 0x80004005
I googled a lot for the answer but I only find the above solutions.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on?
James McKenzie

Wine font problem

Post by James McKenzie »

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM, habl <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi all,

I got a problem with Wine. I compiled Wine from source on Debian Squeeze. Everything is working perfect, only fonts aren't loaded well. The Window buttons are always showed as weird characters (differs sometimes) and in games all text exists of squares. See the screens:
sh winetricks corefonts

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-987c381 ... 10c547c5aa
for more information on winetricks and how to use it.

James McKenzie
dimesio

Re: Wine font problem

Post by dimesio »

habl wrote:

Code: Select all

err:wincodecs:PngEncoder_CreateInstance Trying to save PNG picture, but PNG support is not compiled in.
Look like you didn't satisfy all dependencies before compiling.
habl

Re: Wine font problem

Post by habl »

James McKenzie wrote:On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM, habl <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi all,

sh winetricks corefonts

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-987c381 ... 10c547c5aa
for more information on winetricks and how to use it.

James McKenzie
Already tried that, didn't solved it.
Look like you didn't satisfy all dependencies before compiling.
Yes, but don't think that's the reason for the font to fail.

Anyway, on IRC I was told it's not a font issue but a driver issue. I installed the nvidia driver from the nvidia website, but will install the debian version in their repositories now and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the replies !