err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
questor21

Post by questor21 »

I am getting this error when trying to play Rift, which is odd I think because I can play WoW just fine.

I installed DirectX9 and 10 via winetricks, but still I get this error.

Code: Select all

err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe" failed, status c0000135
Clearly though these dlls are in the wine system32 directory:

Code: Select all

~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32$ ls d3*
d3d10core.dll       d3dcompiler_34.dll  d3dcompiler_39.dll  d3dx10_33.dll  d3dx10_38.dll  d3dx10.dll    d3dx9_28.dll  d3dx9_33.dll  d3dx9_38.dll  d3dxof.dll
d3d10.dll           d3dcompiler_35.dll  d3dcompiler_40.dll  d3dx10_34.dll  d3dx10_39.dll  d3dx9_24.dll  d3dx9_29.dll  d3dx9_34.dll  d3dx9_39.dll
d3d8.dll            d3dcompiler_36.dll  d3dcompiler_41.dll  d3dx10_35.dll  d3dx10_40.dll  d3dx9_25.dll  d3dx9_30.dll  d3dx9_35.dll  d3dx9_40.dll
d3d9.dll            d3dcompiler_37.dll  d3dim.dll           d3dx10_36.dll  d3dx10_41.dll  d3dx9_26.dll  d3dx9_31.dll  d3dx9_36.dll  d3dx9_41.dll
d3dcompiler_33.dll  d3dcompiler_38.dll  d3drm.dll           d3dx10_37.dll  d3dx10_42.dll  d3dx9_27.dll  d3dx9_32.dll  d3dx9_37.dll  d3dx9_42.dll
if I run "wine regedit" I can see the DirectX keys... but oddly DirectX is entirely absent from .wine/system.reg

Here's the only mention of directx in the system.reg:

~/.wine$ grep -i directx system.reg
@="DirectX File"
[Software\\Microsoft\\DirectX] 1284417788
Any ideas?
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 3/7/11 8:50 PM, questor21 wrote:
I am getting this error when trying to play Rift, which is odd I think because I can play WoW just fine.

Code:
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe" failed, status c0000135

Gee, a simple search shows they ARE NOT there.

Plus, these should be loaded into the same directory as your program.

Now, go back, either delete or remove your installation of Rift.

Then use winetricks to install ONLY d3dx9_43, then install Rift.

This should allow Rift to run. WoW may or may not work with native
d3dx9_43 installed.

James McKenzie
questor21

Re: err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll

Post by questor21 »

James McKenzie wrote:On 3/7/11 8:50 PM, questor21 wrote:

Code:

Gee, a simple search shows they ARE NOT there.

Plus, these should be loaded into the same directory as your program.

Now, go back, either delete or remove your installation of Rift.

Then use winetricks to install ONLY d3dx9_43, then install Rift.

This should allow Rift to run. WoW may or may not work with native
d3dx9_43 installed.

James McKenzie
I'm not sure that I understand your meaning, on any of your points. I provided log evidence that the files do exist in the demonstrated location and you purport that they do not.

Then you appear to tell me to load the dx dlls into the ?RIFT? directory? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Ok that you suggest only to install one particular dx dll using winetricks, but multiple should not cause problems if only one is active.

Then you suggest to reinstall Rift, which smacks to me of "reinstall it and try again". I would rather understand why this is not working and surgically repair it.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

questor21 wrote:I installed DirectX9 and 10 via winetricks, but still I get this error.
This wineprefix can't be supported. Remove ~/.wine directory and reinstall your game. DO NOT use winetricks unless explicitly told to do so.

Wine has it's own d3dx9_43.dll. You should be using that first time around. And make sure you have latest Wine version (wine-1.3.15).
questor21

Post by questor21 »

vitamin wrote:
questor21 wrote:I installed DirectX9 and 10 via winetricks, but still I get this error.
This wineprefix can't be supported. Remove ~/.wine directory and reinstall your game. DO NOT use winetricks unless explicitly told to do so.

Wine has it's own d3dx9_43.dll. You should be using that first time around. And make sure you have latest Wine version (wine-1.3.15).
Why is ~/.wine not supported? That is the most appropriate place for an application like this, in a user's home directory. I will not delete ~/.wine, I have other applications installed into wine which are working and I will not interrupt them for a game like Rift.

I attempted to use any native directx with Rift in the first place but I got the same problem - Rift does not detect directx. I then tried winetricks after researching for myself on the web how people have gotten Rift working.

I am not using the most current wine. I am using 1.2.2. I may upgrade wine.

I had hoped for some diagnostic suggestions followed up with more targeted advice.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

questor21 wrote:Why is ~/.wine not supported?
Because you used winetricks without us telling you to do so.
questor21 wrote:will not delete ~/.wine,
Then conversation is over. Topic closed.