Run Command (or option) to disable Wine Title Bar

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Mawk

Post by Mawk »

Hello,

I couldn't find any information regarding how to disable the title bar for applications running in Wine, so excuse me if there is already an topic about it.

I'm looking for an option, or an command, so I can disable the title bar when there is an application running trough Wine - the title bar is just using my precious vertical space.

Any official support, or atleast an "hack"?

Thanks.
vitamin

Re: Run Command (or option) to disable Wine Title Bar

Post by vitamin »

Mawk wrote:I couldn't find any information regarding how to disable the title bar for applications running in Wine
There isn't one. win32api doesn't allow this.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

I can do this on a Mac... since it runs a separate X server for Wine.. might not be good if X is your main window server... Basically you kill the window manager so there isn't one running, and leave Wine to let the WM control and decorate, and you get a window with nothing on it.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

doh123 wrote:Basically you kill the window manager so there isn't one running
This is really bad idea. You might as well skip one and run Wine under plain X. Or you can run Wine without VM on a different display.

In either case this is means only Wine would be your only GUI app.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

vitamin wrote:
doh123 wrote:Basically you kill the window manager so there isn't one running
This is really bad idea. You might as well skip one and run Wine under plain X. Or you can run Wine without VM on a different display.

In either case this is means only Wine would be your only GUI app.
I'm sure its a bad idea in most OSes.. but when the 1 Wine app is running in its own dedicated X server its not so bad. I use this in Wineskin to make a fake fullscreen with resolution changing, when its really a wine virtual desktop with no window decoration of any type.
Mawk

Post by Mawk »

Alrighty, thanks everyone for the feedback.
truell

Post by truell »

vitamin wrote:
Mawk wrote:I couldn't find any information regarding how to disable the title bar for applications running in Wine
There isn't one. win32api doesn't allow this.
Sorry, that's not true: Please have a look at Winamp in Windows, you'll see that Winamp does not have a title bar there. The equalizer window which can be opened from Winamp does not have a title bar either.

If you run Winamp in Wine, the current window decorations are attached to the Winamp window, which makes it look just ugly ... if you open the equalizer subwindow, that window will be opened without decorations like in windows.

So, I wanted to start Winamp in Wine without the decorations, in the same way it works in Windows and in the same way sub windows are opened from Winamp.

Could you by any change provide a hint how this can be done?

Thank you,
Andreas
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

truell wrote:Sorry, that's not true: Please have a look at Winamp in Windows, you'll see that Winamp does not have a title bar there. The equalizer window which can be opened from Winamp does not have a title bar either.
You can't disable title bar of an application that has one. That application needs to be written in such a way to disable title bar itself.

In more details, the window will have to be created with special flags, which alters what messages that window will receive. While you can easily override windows' creation flags, you can't alter application code to deal with new window state.
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 10:59 -0600, vitamin wrote:
truell wrote:
Sorry, that's not true: Please have a look at Winamp in Windows,
If you're just wanting to play music files on your hard drive, try
Audacious, XMMS, Mplayer or VLC which are all Linux media players.
Audacious and XMMS are audio players while the other two are primarily
video players but will play some audio files. XMMS is prettier than
Audacious but I think Audacious plays a wider range of file types:
whether or not it will play MP3s out of the box depends on where you get
it from. Some distros, e.g. RedHat, are purist about not using codecs
with licensing issues and MP3 is one of them, It needs to be built with
libmad to play MP3s. http://rpmfind.net/ is a good place to start
looking for extra packages for RPM-based distros. Somebody else will
have to chip in if you're using a Debian-based distro.

I can't get any of these players to talk to my SqueezeboxServer, but
then I'm not motivated to spend time on that that since a Squeezebox
Touch plugged into a decent amp knocks spots of anything that a PC can
do.

Martin
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Martin Gregorie wrote:If you're just wanting to play music files on your hard drive
If you would actually read the post you'll get what he is talking about!
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

vitamin wrote:
truell wrote:Sorry, that's not true: Please have a look at Winamp in Windows, you'll see that Winamp does not have a title bar there. The equalizer window which can be opened from Winamp does not have a title bar either.
You can't disable title bar of an application that has one. That application needs to be written in such a way to disable title bar itself.

In more details, the window will have to be created with special flags, which alters what messages that window will receive. While you can easily override windows' creation flags, you can't alter application code to deal with new window state.
so wouldn't that be a deficiency in Wine...? When you run an app on Windows that has no title bar, yet you run the same exact one on Wine and its stuck on there? or did I miss what was going on?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

truell wrote: If you run Winamp in Wine, the current window decorations are attached to the Winamp window, which makes it look just ugly ...
Does unchecking "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" in winecfg do anything?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

doh123 wrote:so wouldn't that be a deficiency in Wine...?
Removing a title bar of an application that has one to begin with? No, that will break application.

From what I understood, OP asked if there is a way to remove title of any application to gain extra vertical space. He wasn't talking about application that doesn't have that title bar to begin with, such as winamp.
truell

Post by truell »

doh123 wrote:
truell wrote:Please have a look at Winamp in Windows, you'll see that Winamp does not have a title bar there. The equalizer window which can be opened from Winamp does not have a title bar either.
so wouldn't that be a deficiency in Wine...? When you run an app on Windows that has no title bar, yet you run the same exact one on Wine and its stuck on there? or did I miss what was going on?
Thank you, you got the point! :D

That is my question: Winamp does not have a title bar while running in Windows. It should not get a title bar in Linux then, but for some reason it gets one. And so the question was: if for any reason Winamp wins a title bar, how can I disable that "feature".

Thank you.

To the person that asked me to use a different player: no, thanks. Winamp and the old XMMS are the applications that fit my needs best. They are simple, tiny, fast, powerful and are looking cool. What else do you want?! With Lucid Lynx you can only install XMMS2: but, no thanks! I don't need a client/server music player. And I love my old skins!
doh123 wrote:Does unchecking "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" in winecfg do anything?
Well, you are right, this would fix the problem for Winamp. But then the question would be: how do I add the title bar to all the other Windows applications that I'm running simultaneously?

Kind regards,
Andreas
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

truell wrote:But then the question would be: how do I add the title bar to all the other Windows applications that I'm running simultaneously?
Set that setting for winamp only (add it on first page of winecfg, select it, then uncheck "allow wm to decorate..." option). Or install winamp into a separate prefix.

I'd still suggest you use xmms2/qmmp if you like winamp-like interface. Native programs will always run better.
truell

Post by truell »

vitamin wrote:
truell wrote:But then the question would be: how do I add the title bar to all the other Windows applications that I'm running simultaneously?
Set that setting for winamp only (add it on first page of winecfg, select it, then uncheck "allow wm to decorate..." option). Or install winamp into a separate prefix.

I'd still suggest you use xmms2/qmmp if you like winamp-like interface. Native programs will always run better.
Hey vitamin, thank you, it works! ... (and I've learned to customize Wine for the different applications - cool!)

I don't know if you are collecting features / bug reports ... the skin I love most has some transparent areas in the background (this is one of the very few that makes use of the alpha channel) - in windows the transparency works for sure - in Wine/Linux you can see the dummy color instead. That is not an issue to me, I can live without the transparency - just want to tell you that. Maybe Winamp is using a hack to get the transparency (maybe they readout the background bitmap and copy the areas into their window ... I don't know, since this transparency effect even worked in Windows 95 - but Windows 95 didn't support that, I believe).

Regards,
Andreas
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

truell wrote:this is one of the very few[skins] that makes use of the alpha channel
Alpha (transparency) doesn't work with all bitmaps in Wine. Also that requires modern 3D card with working drivers.
truell

Post by truell »

Okay. Btw: hardware is not an issue here - I'm running Xubuntu on a 4th generation MacMini containing a GeForce 9400M, the nvidia driver is working good, Valves Steam engine (via Wine) and Compiz are running fine.
yabgu

Post by yabgu »

I dont really understand why everyone missing the real point about that huge bug in wine. That bug also affects some games that change resolution btw main menu and game like nfsu which made someone to make something like "wineskin". COMEOON... And while not answering with "no you cant do that in wine in a natural way" you recommend some other apps. This is sickness, blurring out that huge bug and "you can do it that way too"s does not solving any problem at all. The fact is; wine does not have an option for (even it should do it automatically) disabling window decorations or border or anything at all. Until now of course.
LaraCraft93

Post by LaraCraft93 »

yabgu wrote:I dont really understand why everyone missing the real point about that huge bug in wine. That bug also affects some games that change resolution btw main menu and game like nfsu which made someone to make something like "wineskin". COMEOON... And while not answering with "no you cant do that in wine in a natural way" you recommend some other apps. This is sickness, blurring out that huge bug and "you can do it that way too"s does not solving any problem at all. The fact is; wine does not have an option for (even it should do it automatically) disabling window decorations or border or anything at all. Until now of course.
Huge bug? What's the bug? That sounds more like a extra feature. If the program was made to display title bar, It will show. So, what is the problem?

You can clear the follow check in winecfg (Graphics options):

Allow the window manager to decorate the windows
Allow the window manager to control the windows

Then you will get the exact behavior you would in Windows.

Well ... if the behavior is the same, where is the bug?
yabgu wrote: COMEOON... And while not answering with "no you cant do that in wine in a natural way" you recommend some other apps
Yes! The wine does not have an option for disabling window decoration (exactly like in windows!!!) This is a extra feature, not a real bug.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

This debate is still going on?

Let me try to explain the problem more clearly.

If wine windows are decorated by X, and the Windows program says "don't draw a title bar" ... the X title bar still appears, even though the Windows program says there shouldn't be one.

If you disable window decoration, so they look like old win95 windows, then it works normally.

What is wanted.. is a way to disable decoration on only some windows, not all... so if I'm running say 4 items, I can have 3 decorated, and 1 not so the bar works right... or make it so the X title bar disappears if the Windows program is supposed to not have one.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The window manager options in winecfg can be set per-app.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

dimesio wrote:The window manager options in winecfg can be set per-app.
yes... I've never used the per app setup before, but it works fine.

That answer could have prevented the last part of this thread since truell's post (3 years ago) asking about disabling per app :-) At least an answer is here for future Googlers!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

"That answer" has already been in this thread for 3 1/2 years. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9937#p55805.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

dimesio wrote:"That answer" has already been in this thread for 3 1/2 years. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9937#p55805.
yeah.... I forget things after years... I guess including how to re-read.

But I think the main more recent complaint is... if the Windows program says no title bar, there should be no title bar at all. By default there is still an X title bar. Turning off decorations for a few programs seems more of a workaround, but it at least works.