How to set compatibility mode from the command line in wine?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
i30817
Level 1
Level 1

Post by i30817 »

I am always deleting the wine dir, and i'd like to keep a few applications elsewhere.

One of these apps (interstate '76) needs compatibility mode window 98.

Anyway, if a solution also works on windows, wonderful (though the solutions i've seen required installation of something, and that's no good for me since i want the game portable), but if it only works one wine, that is ok.
Gert van den Berg

Post by Gert van den Berg »

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:22, i30817 <[email protected]> wrote:
I am always deleting the wine dir, and i'd like to keep a few applications elsewhere.
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/WINEPREFIX is what you want...
i30817
Level 1
Level 1

Post by i30817 »

Sorry, i don't think so. I'm not interested in a seperate prefix for windows 95 games. In fact that dir would eventually get deleted too, and i would have to change the app compatibility again etc. I'm trying to make the games i can portable. It's surprizingly possible (copy missing dlls to the game dir etc), but in areas where windows has no alternative, i'd like to at least keep portable in linux installations. Copying a .wine dir just to set compatibility mode (a possible solution) doesn't seem "portable" enough.
As microsoft never did introduce a public command line tool for windows compatibility installed by default, this seems slightly offset from wine goals, but it can't harm - it's just the cmd line equivalent of a volatile winetricks setting.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

winetricks win98 ?
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

If you want to use a single wine prefix, look into 'AppDefaults' e.g. in the registry HKCU\\Software\\Wine\\Appdefaults\\Yourapp.exe\\Version and set to win95. A lot of other options can also be set this way and they are application specific.
i30817
Level 1
Level 1

Post by i30817 »

Cool thanks. That's not on the wiki i don't think.