Games not loading

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Fredrik-Hussein
Level 2
Level 2

Games not loading

Post by Fredrik-Hussein »

My games Heroes might and magic 5 tribes of the east and Civilization 4 are crashing on load in wine.
They loaded before when I was using the Ubuntu drivers.
Ever since I have changed to The ATI drivers. For my ATI Radeon Mobility X700 graphics card. Have my Games stopped running. I have added the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

ection "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
	Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
	Option "UseFastTLS" "off"
	Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
	Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
I have also made log files for both heroes and civ if needed.
I have tried to update wine to the new version but my system says its the newest version.
I used the following walk through to install the drivers:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Same problem here: i can install games perfectly, i can run Photoshop and other apps perfectly, but i can't start games...

I discovered that the problem is the fglrx driver: i tried the radeonhd one and it works, i can start games!!! But they're unplayable because direct rendering has not been implemented yet, so it's too slow...

I tried OffscreenRenderingMode with "fbo", "pbuffer" and "backbuffer"; i tried to set VideoMemorySize to "512" and "256"; i tried to disable Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders; i even tried to set UseGLSL to "disabled"..... all those tries were useless.

Uh, i forgot, i'm using:
- Wine 0.9.60
- Gentoo Linux
- kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r5
- fglrx 8.473 (Catalyst 8.4)

My video card is a Radeon HD 3870 (512MB).

Is there something i can do to get games working with fglrx drivers?
Dan Kegel

Games not loading

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:36 AM, mattemod <[email protected]> wrote:
the problem is the fglrx driver: the radeonhd one works, i can start games!!!
- Wine 0.9.60
- Gentoo Linux
- kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r5
- fglrx 8.473 (Catalyst 8.4)

My video card is a Radeon HD 3870 (512MB).

Is there something i can do to get games working with fglrx drivers?
Are *all* games broken with fglrx?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

mattemod wrote:Is there something i can do to get games working with fglrx drivers?
Try downgrading Wine to wine-0.9.58. There were few regressions with ATI cards.
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Dan Kegel wrote:Are *all* games broken with fglrx?
Until now i've tried Morrowind, Oblivion, Chronicles of a Vampire Hunter and Pax Romana, but they didn't work.
I'm going to try some other games that should "perfectly" work (like Guild Wars, which is platinum) and write results here.
Ah, all games are original, so i didn't use any crack.
vitamin wrote:Try downgrading Wine to wine-0.9.58. There were few regressions with ATI cards.
Ok, i'll try and let you know here.
Fredrik-Hussein
Level 2
Level 2

All games which i run in wine doesn't work I even have Ubuntu 8.04 now and Wine 0.9.59
or 0.9.60.
Same problem but linux games as the doom/quake 3 arena game works and scorched earth
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

I just tried Morrowind (this time i didn't install Bloodmoon expansion) and Guild Wars with Wine 0.9.58, but they still crash!

Guild Wars (which is platinum) says that there's an irreversible error with my video card and gives me this link: http://eu.guildwars.com/support/article ... _detected/
I tried to start it both with
wine "C:\Programmi\GUILD WARS\Gw.exe"
and
wine "C:\Programmi\GUILD WARS\Gw.exe" -dx8 -nosound -noshaders -windowed
but result is the same...

Morrowind crashes like with Wine 0.9.60. Here is the log for Wine 0.9.60 that i copied this morning: http://pastebin.com/m1c6ccebe

If you need any other info, just ask.

Now i'm going to compile Wine 0.9.61 from sources and let you know if the problem is still present...
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

I compiled Wine 0.9.61 from sources and results are the same.

Only wine/debug output on the shell changed a bit, you can find it here: http://pastebin.com/m26f7484

I'm going to post a new bug to bugzilla, because i searched for similar bugs but they all seem specific to only one game per time, while the problem is for all games with fglrx driver... (PLEASE tell me i'm wrong ^^)
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Fredrik-Hussein
Level 2
Level 2

I find this to be strange becasue on ubuntu 7.10 with wine 9.57 and with the ubuntu drivers did games run i vine slow but it ran the games at least
Bad Boy Bubby

ati drivers games

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

Hi

Im new but having trouble running games under ubuntu 8.04 wine 9.60

all games install fine but

counterstrike 1.6 runs but crashes/freezes box after indeterminate time.
cs ran fine in software mode. although the graphics lagged badly.

trackmania will not start just crashes.

so im guessing games just wont run correctly under the current version of wine / ati drivers does anyone know a previous version of wine / driver combination that would work?

I really want to dump M$ but this is the only thing stopping me now :-(
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Fredrik-Hussein wrote:I find this to be strange becasue on ubuntu 7.10 with wine 9.57 and with the ubuntu drivers did games run i vine slow but it ran the games at least
Which drivers are you using? And which version?
vitamin

Re: ati drivers games

Post by vitamin »

Bad Boy Bubby wrote:current version of wine / ati drivers does anyone know a previous version of wine / driver combination that would work?
wine-0.9.59, wine-0.9.60 and for some games wine-0.9.61 are broken on ATI hardware. Use older Wine versions.
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ati drivers games

Post by mattemod »

vitamin wrote:wine-0.9.59, wine-0.9.60 and for some games wine-0.9.61 are broken on ATI hardware. Use older Wine versions.
Like i said in a previous post:
mattemod wrote:I just tried Morrowind (this time i didn't install Bloodmoon expansion) and Guild Wars with Wine 0.9.58, but they still crash!
and in the bug (posted by me) that i linked (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12929) Wine 0.9.58 doesn't work too, at least for me.
Fredrik-Hussein
Level 2
Level 2

I'm using Ubuntu drivers for 8.04 now because I'm using 8.04 now. But I was using the standard drivers which Ubuntu 7.10 recommends to install when I got it to work in 7.10.
The problem was that when I used those drivers every thing didn't work in Ubuntu.
When I used this Guide http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
To install drivers every thing stopped working. Even if I did it "the Ubuntu way"
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Fredrik-Hussein wrote:
I'm using Ubuntu drivers for 8.04 now because I'm using 8.04 now. But I was using the standard drivers which Ubuntu 7.10 recommends to install when I got it to work in 7.10.
The problem was that when I used those drivers every thing didn't work in Ubuntu.
To install drivers every thing stopped working. Even if I did it "the Ubuntu way"
Sorry but i didn't understand what you're using... and sorry, but i wanted to know the driver version you were using when you could play games with Wine.

To tell us your current driver version:
1. launch amdcccle in the shell
2. click on Information in the left menu
3. write here the Driver Version value written on the right

You can also tell us the driver version searching for an "fglrx" entry in your package manager.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Fredrik-Hussein wrote:
What does

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep version
say?
Fredrik-Hussein
Level 2
Level 2

it says:
server glx version string: 1.2
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

But as I said this before I'm not using Ubuntu 7.10 any more I'm Using 8.04
mattemod
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mattemod »

Fredrik-Hussein wrote:But as I said this before I'm not using Ubuntu 7.10 any more I'm Using 8.04
Yes, in fact i asked which version were you using when you could play games with Wine :P
So, which version were you using with Ubuntu 7.10?