Wine + Counter-strike 1.6 lunch

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
hudy

Wine + Counter-strike 1.6 lunch

Post by hudy »

Hello. My problem contain in starting cs 1.6.through wine shows up welcome screen but in the same time everything hangs up and there are no other options in menu. Steam starts correctly, works smooth. When cs 1.6 hangs up i can easily switch virtual desktop. Let me add that first time problem shows up today morning after update (really cant remember what i updated/upgraded but it was only one thing) .After all i wanted to check if everything is properly in the system i did format it and /on clean instalation / everything is the same. I have tried start it up at the older version wine but sadly that doesnt solve the problem.

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.
intel core i3
geforce gt200

I request that anyone could give me any idea how to check or solve that error. I've been working with linux for a long time but my knowledge about emulate applications is slender .
I think that problem showed up after my terday's update packages but i dont remember what packages they were ( i know it was only one ).
hudy

Post by hudy »

Have any idea?
lite1979
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lite1979 »

I just posted in the thread "Steam Games unable to Play" because I'm having the same problem. The background image for Half-Life (same engine) is showing, but the menu never gets drawn, and either it crashes to desktop or hangs and I have to kill it in terminal. When I use ps -A it reads "hl.exe <defunct>"

Could a mod please merge these two threads? Any help will be appreciated. Latest version for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx is 1.3.0, which is what I'm using right now, but the same problem occurred with 1.2. I'm currently attempting to compile 1.3.1, but running into some difficulty because of the linking of certain libraries needed to configure. Thanks!
jem141

Same issue here

Post by jem141 »

I was using Wine 1.2 and after Steam update, I also am unable to start Counter Strike - same defunt msg.

I upgraded to Wine 1.3.1 and have same results
jem141

more info

Post by jem141 »

fyi i am using Ubuntu 10.04
here is output while trying to execute CS with winedbg. don't know if it is useful :/

Wine-dbg>me@me:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/jem1du/counter-strike$ winedbg hl.exe -console -game cstrike
WineDbg starting on pid 001b
0x681b8bef: movl %edi,0x4(%esp)
ole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ole »

I have the same problem, the background is showing before it either freezes or crashes. Else the system itself runs fine and I can kill the process to continue using the computer. But this happend after the last update on (k)ubuntu 10.04.

I'm running wine 1.3.0 and tried everything I could find to fix the problem. All I got were related to other problems which were kind of similar.

What exactly the update updated I don't remember, and I'm not sure if this is directly wine-related.

Anyone tried the previous kernel? I guess it was a little update on the latest kernel? Maybe it's the reason? I will try when I get home. But I can't choose the kernel before the update either than choosing an older version. Worth trying whatsoever.

Else I would appriciate if someone figures out what it is. I could really not see anything "special" in the logfiles except that wine didn't find master channel on the nvidia sound interface, but that is correct since it does not exists.
emsy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emsy »

not related to kernel, wine or nvidia drivers

related to steam update ( http://store.steampowered.com/news/4228/ ), as written in http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=9410

i bet it's one of those new features, most likely in-game overlay on 64-bit systems, even tho i have "Steam Community In-Game" turned off in settings
lite1979
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lite1979 »

Well, that seems to make sense. Go figure both ubuntu and steam would have an automatic update within 24 hours of each other. Now how to fix it?
bratherlui

Yes

Post by bratherlui »

Same to me. After Steam update, no Counterstrike :(
ole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ole »

Workaround found in the Bugzilla:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24096#c5

It's actually working very fine if you follow the instructions 100% (if you forget to rename the GameOverlayRenderer.dll back to its own file, Steam will just update itself again and it will be included, but it takes time so better rename it back if you shut down Steam)

But it is working at least and its possible to play again until we wait for a fix ;]