Sibelius Mac on Linux

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
zeph7r

Sibelius Mac on Linux

Post by zeph7r »

I'm trying to run music score edition applications and besides finale 2007 and sibelius 4 work great considering wine standards, it still has some glitches and bugs that make it very hard to work with it.

I'm just wondering: wouldn't it be easier to run the mac version of sibelius instead of the windows one? As I recall, applications such as matlab and spss even have a single UNIX version which will run on all unix*es including mac os x.

greets
Dan Kegel

Sibelius Mac on Linux

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:37 AM, zeph7r <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm trying to run music score edition applications and besides finale 2007 and sibelius 4 work great considering wine standards, it still has some glitches and bugs that make it very hard to work with it.

I'm just wondering: wouldn't it be easier to run the mac version of sibelius instead of the windows one? As I recall, applications such as matlab and spss even have a single UNIX version which will run on all unix*es including mac os x.
Not sure what you're asking.

If you're saying "Can wine run Mac apps", the answer is "no. Wine runs Windows
binaries. Mac binaries are very, very, very different and would
require another, different
multiyear project to support."

If you're saying "Can Sibelius do a Linux port based on the Mac version", better
go ask Sibelius.
zeph7r

Post by zeph7r »

Thank you for replying Dan kegel. Actually what I meant were neither the possibilities you suggested; in fact, what I was questioning was wether it would be possible to run mac apps (particulary the sibelius suite) natively on linux with some twiking; I'm asking this because as I exposed before there are other apps which have a so-called general UNIX version (mac os X, linux, etc.) what makes proof that this systems are in some way compatible or at least the apps I mentioned before have been written in some kind of multiplatform-compatible language (which might as well happened in sebelius).

I'd like to confirm this myself; unfortunately I don't have the necessary know-now yet. So I'm just suggesting something which might be of interest.

Cheers
Dan Kegel

Sibelius Mac on Linux

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM, zeph7r <[email protected]> wrote:
would [it] be possible to run mac apps (particulary the sibelius suite) natively on linux?
No.

First, it would require developing a kernel change to support MacOSX binaries.
Second, it would require cloning MacOSX's userland.

So, no.
zeph7r

Post by zeph7r »

Thanks Dan Kegel. You pretty much summed it up for me.

Greets,
--zePh7r