Kununtu Menu Problem With Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
geecee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geecee »

Very new to Linux so please be gentle. Running Kubuntu 8.04 (Gutsy).

Installed Wine and a couple of Windows apps. Couldn't get them to work so uninstalled apps (through Wine) then uninstalled Wine.

Found that the Wine entries were still visible in the K Menu so I deleted them (not sure how). I think I found them somewhere using the file manager (Dolphin) and deleted them there.

Now I have reinstalled Wine and found that it does not appear in the K Menu.

Can someone please help me to get the entries back?
vitamin

Re: Kununtu Menu Problem With Wine

Post by vitamin »

geecee wrote:Very new to Linux so please be gentle. Running Kubuntu 8.04 (Gutsy).

Installed Wine and a couple of Windows apps. Couldn't get them to work so uninstalled apps (through Wine) then uninstalled Wine.

Found that the Wine entries were still visible in the K Menu so I deleted them (not sure how). I think I found them somewhere using the file manager (Dolphin) and deleted them there.

Now I have reinstalled Wine and found that it does not appear in the K Menu.

Can someone please help me to get the entries back?
You have to install something under Wine first. Wine itself does not create any menu entries.
geecee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geecee »

Thanks for replying.

I think you have misunderstood the question. The menu entries I'm looking for include items with names like "C: Drive", "Uninstall Applications". Can't remember exactly. Double clicking a Windows install file will install it and it can be run from the shortcut but still no menu entries.
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM, geecee <[email protected]> wrote:
I think you have misunderstood the question. The menu entries I'm looking for include items with names like "C: Drive", "Uninstall Applications". Can't remember exactly. Double clicking a Windows install file will install it and it can be run from the shortcut but still no menu entries.
You should probably ask whoever built the Wine packages you
installed, he'll know better than us.
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

2008/4/29 Dan Kegel <[email protected]>:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM, geecee <[email protected]> wrote:
You should probably ask whoever built the Wine packages you
installed, he'll know better than us.
For Ubuntu, that's Scott Ritchie. (cc to Scott. Is he on this list?
Lots of Ubuntu newbies here ...)

- d.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

geecee wrote:Thanks for replying.

You have to run the menu editor and undelete Wine entries. Mostlikely they are not deleted but hidden.
geecee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geecee »

I think I have worked it out. The first time I installed Wine it appeared in the K Menu. I uninstalled it and then removed the menu entries in an unorthodox way. When I reinstalled I also installed an app that adds Wine config functions to the System Settings. I'm guessing that it's because of this extra step that it no longer appears in the K Menu. Will try it out on a "play" machine.