Wine on Android

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
aidy lewis

Wine on Android

Post by aidy lewis »

Hi,

I have the Android OS on my netbook. Is it possible to install Wine on Android?

Aidy
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

No, it is not possible. The main issue (next that you need a x86 cpu which likely your netbook has) is that Android is not a typical Linux system. The OS uses the Linux kernel but apart from that it uses very different libraries, it doesn't use X and so on.
vitamin

Re: Wine on Android

Post by vitamin »

aidy lewis wrote:I have the Android OS on my netbook. Is it possible to install Wine on Android?
Well actually it is possible to install Wine. It just won't do you any good. Wine does not have CPU emulator and can not run x86 programs on non-x86 hardware.
RobRedbeard

Post by RobRedbeard »

I think he's looking to run ARM code on an ARM processor.

Don't forget there's the "other win32 platform" -- Windows Mobile.

This would definitely require forking a new project aimed at that platform.

I'm not sure what the implications would be for Android, but I'm sure some of the difficulties would include:

- No X11 (as mentioned, and Wine currently translates Windows calls to X11)

- Although both platforms (WinMo and Android) currently run on the same architecture (ARM) -- Android adopts a hardware agnostic principle and in the future might be found on other CPUs. Thus the lack of support for native code. So even though they both run on ARM now, "WineMo" would have to do machine emulation of an ARM system to:
a ) insure a correct environment on any future hardware
b ) make WinMo apps run from within Java.

- We really would need GOOGLE to step in and at least create the project and setup the necessary support in native code in the system. This all seems way outside the reach of Java.

Rob
Gert van den Berg

Wine on Android

Post by Gert van den Berg »

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:49, RobRedbeard <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm not sure what the implications would be for Android, but I'm sure some of the difficulties would include:

- Although both platforms (WinMo and Android) currently run on the same architecture (ARM)
Windows CE, on which current Windows Mobile versions is based, runs on
multiple architectures (x86, MIPS, ARM)
milli

Post by milli »

If you have the android-x86 port installed on x86 hardware, can you build and install wine on it? Has anyone tried it?

From previous posts I see android does not support X windows, does it mean even if you are able to build wine, it won't be able to run on android?

Thanks
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

milli wrote:From previous posts I see android does not support X windows, does it mean even if you are able to build wine, it won't be able to run on android?
Correct. Wine requires X libraries, even if you don't use X (run pure cli apps).
milli

Post by milli »

Is it possible to build X library on Android so that wine could be run?
princefarr

Post by princefarr »

Well, I do not think it works because you try to run the software on a non-x86-x86. First of all i think, it is necessary binaries compiled for ARM processor. If you have any suggetion or any problem then you can go r googling. It can help you in your any problem.
Gert van den Berg

Wine on Android

Post by Gert van den Berg »

Might be interesting with the Windows for ARM that seem to be in progress...

(Windows CE (including Mobile, PocketPC, etc...) apps might also be
useful but might require a lot more work on Wine...) (Since CE does
not seem to be completely CE based)

Does any of the Itanium / PowerPC / MIPS / Alpha Windows NT apps work
on Wine compiled for the relevant CPU?

Gert
achillies000

Post by achillies000 »

- Although both platforms (WinMo and Android) currently run on the same architecture (ARM)
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Is it possible to make a program that can be run on Android that goes "full-screen" (as opposed to windowed), or perhaps either full-screen or windowed that can take X input, run X inside this program, and output the result to the fullscreen/window?
Is it possible to make an X-to-Android wrapper? Probably won't happen anytime soon, but I was just curious.

Cheers,
Jake
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

I Found The Solution.

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Here's a novel idea: dual boot with Linux. That should do it.
Cheers,
Jake
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I Found The Solution.

Post by DaVince »

SpawnHappyJake wrote:Here's a novel idea: dual boot with Linux. That should do it.
Cheers,
Jake
This still doesn't solve the problem of Windows apps being x86-based.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Well, it might be an x86-based netbook. Op, is it an x86-based PC? BIOS or EFI? If you don't know, that's ok too. Maybe give the processor name, and/or model number of the netbook?

Cheers,
Jake
generalChaos

Post by generalChaos »

androids are not correctly linuz.similaritiy is some as similarity behind human and monkeys :P
android is not a installable nor completley opensource as it looks like while linux is :P
Thaodan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Thaodan »

can a program on andriod can use non-java code?
ryan woodsmall

Wine on Android

Post by ryan woodsmall »

can a program on andriod can use non-java code?
Only on the Natsemi NS320xx processors. What does this have to do with Wine, which doesn't run on Wine?
generalChaos

Post by generalChaos »

Thaodan wrote:can a program on andriod can use non-java code?

well what you mean ?
im new to android and what you ask is meaninin that android is a java based application ? is that correct ?
nicole_white

Post by nicole_white »

aidy lewis wrote:Hi,

Aidy

As my personal exp, wine is made for ubuntu not for android.
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Usurp »

nicole_white wrote:
aidy lewis wrote:Hi,

Aidy

As my personal exp, wine is made for ubuntu not for android.
I doubt Wine is following Ubuntu.
Ubuntu comes with PulseAudio and there is no proper support for it in Wine at the moment.
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

Let me hopefully clear a couple things up.

-1. A program is made of processor instructions and possibly calls to other code made available to the program. To run such a program, an operating system passes the processor instructions to the processor and resolves the rest into processor instructions. Different processors (like x86 and ARM) take different instructions. Trying to get an operating system to pass ARM instructions from a program made out of ARM instructions (and calls to OS-provided code) to a processor that can only do x86 instructions would not work out.
The operating system itself (at least the kernel) is defined in processor instructions, and the processor directly runs the kernel.

-0.5 Java programs aren't "programs" in the above sense. They are text files whose contents are defined in processor instructions eslewhere. When it is ran, it is translated on-the-fly to processor instructions/OS calls. Get the right translator, and the Java script will work on any OS on any processor. But that doesn't make them superior: they have to be translated on-the-fly, which is both a performence and efficiency loss.

0. There is an x86 build of Android. Not the same build used on cell phones, obviously, because cell phone processors do not do the x86 instruction set.

1. Of course Android can run non-Java programs. Otherwise, Java itself wouldn't be able to run. In other words, the program that translates Java code into processor instructions/OS calls is not a Java program. How could the translator be running in Android if Android only ran Java applications, while the translator is not a Java application? There is no processor in existence yet that I know of that executes "Java instructions". The main point of an operating system is to pass processor instructions from a program to the processor. If it only ran Java apps, an operating system would not fulfill that basic purpose.

2. WINE is not made for Ubuntu specifically. It so-happens to work on Ubuntu. WINE is made to work on any "Unix-like" OS. 99 times out if 100, if a program is open source, operating system is irrelevent: you just compile for your operating system.

I sincerely hope that all fog has been blown away.

Cheers,
Jake
SpawnHappyJake
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SpawnHappyJake »

To an earlier question: note that Android is not a Java application. It is a "processor instruction application". Nothing has to translate Android into processor instructions to have Android running on a processor. It is already made out of processor instructions.
Android is an operating system. The core of all operative systems are "processor instruction applications", and hopefully it stays that way: a hypervisor with a Java translator running a paravirtualized Java operating system would scare me.
Jake
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whatbug »

Someone just done it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1258506
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-G1pa4zUEE

Haven't tested it myself but looks trustworthy.
luciusald

Post by luciusald »

Just one precisation arm 7 architetture coulde run native java code directory with the prospera module.