Visual C++ runtime library error

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by InterestedParty »

Hye I been getting the follow error with too many applications now. Half of the programs I try to run spew that error at me while they are said to work perfectly fine with wine.
I've installed the visual c++ applications from winetrick (or so it should have). Please help
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM, InterestedParty
<[email protected]> wrote:
Hye I been getting the follow error with too many applications now. Half of the programs I try to run spew that error at me while they are said to work perfectly fine with wine.
 [Image: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/404/ ... ftvisu.png ]
I've installed the visual c++ applications from winetrick (or so it should have). Please help
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

John
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

I do that and still get the same error
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

InterestedParty wrote:I do that and still get the same error
I'm sure you do.

Now, if you want help, you have to POST the terminal output. We're not psychic.

You didn't mention what version of Wine you're using, but if it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
vitamin

Re: Visual C++ runtime library error

Post by vitamin »

InterestedParty wrote:Hye I been getting the follow error with too many applications now. Half of the programs I try to run spew that error at me while they are said to work perfectly fine with wine.
That error in most cases means you (or the program you installed) copied some msvc runtime dlls (msvc?x.dll & co.) into c:\windows\system32 directory. All newer ones will refuse to load from that dir, displaying the massage you see.

To fix the problem remove those dlls from system32, they belong in c:\windows\winsxs directory tree.
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

Before mving the afore mentioned dlls

Code: Select all

wine BFBC2Game.exe 
err:service:load_reg_multisz Error 1804 while reading value L"DependOnService"
err:service:scmdatabase_load_services Error 1804 reading registry key for service L"TVersityMediaServer" - skipping
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.4053)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe" failed, status c0000142
After moving

mv drive_c/windows/system32/msvcr80.dll drive_c/windows/wi
nsxs/

wine BFBC2Game.exe 
err:service:scmdatabase_load_services Error 1804 reading registry key for service L"TVersityMediaServer" - skipping
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.4053)
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MSVCP80.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe" failed, status c0000135
wine-1.1.37-230-g3ed5df1
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

using newest version of wine now
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

InterestedParty wrote:using newest version of wine now
And does that help or not? If not, is the terminal output any different?
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

DaVince wrote:
InterestedParty wrote:using newest version of wine now
And does that help or not? If not, is the terminal output any different?
the terminal output is the same as before.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

InterestedParty wrote:mv drive_c/windows/system32/msvcr80.dll drive_c/windows/winsxs/
That's wrong. Remove that file (and any other *80.dll) from system32. And use winetricks to install them properly. MAKE SURE your win version is at default (winxp).
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

After mv *80.dll to ../winsxs/ it still fails to run.

wine BFBC2Game.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe" failed, status c0000135
I don't even get the error anymore cause the dlls aren't found.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

InterestedParty wrote:After mv *80.dll to ../winsxs/ it still fails to run.
Re-read what I posted before.
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

Well I moved them into winsxs directory, but I am not sure what to reinstall with winetricks. I installed vcrun2005 vcrun2005sp1 vcrun2008 vcrun2008sp1 tried installing vcrun2003 but that fails because of some bzip problem.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

InterestedParty wrote:Well I moved them into winsxs directory, but I am not sure what to reinstall with winetricks. I installed vcrun2005 vcrun2005sp1 vcrun2008 vcrun2008sp1 tried installing vcrun2003 but that fails because of some bzip problem.
Search for any MSVCP80.dll MSVCR80.dll under ~/.wine directory. Delete all you find that are not in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/*/ directory. And no they should not be right under ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/. Ex:

find ~/.wine -iname MSVCP80.dll
/home/vitaliy/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_x-ww_e6967989/msvcp80.dll
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

I had moved all the results I had found incase what I had assumed was correct(which it was). After moving the files I had found all the programs that use them stopped working because they are missing those dlls. There is indeed the msvcp80.dll in winsxs
/home/IP/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcp80.dll
But still nothing is working now that required those dlls
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

InterestedParty wrote:I had moved all the results I had found
Now you need to reinstall them properly with winetricks. BTW what win version is set in winecfg?
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

You say install them properly through winetricks, by them what are you refering to? My windows version is set to windows XP for default applications. I'm assuming you just want me to install the visual c++ programs so I did. When I run the program now I get

wine BFBC2Game.exe 
So the dll it needs is 'missing' but I can locate it in winesxs under a directory.
ace102

Re: Visual C++ runtime library error

Post by ace102 »

InterestedParty wrote:Hye I been getting the follow error with too many applications now. Half of the programs I try to run spew that error at me while they are said to work perfectly fine with wine.
There was an update to the VC2005Redist that seems to be causing headaches on both sides of the fence.
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:qrm ... lr=lang_en

You might need to make a new clean .wine prefix for it(version 8.0.50727.4053) to install correctly , at least I had to which is always fun. This is a requirement of Bioshock 2 to launch , so if you're trying to get Bio2 to play nice you'll need this vc 2005 redist version. I haven't tested it yet since I don't feel like installing the game for the 3rd time atm. :)

DL's and info
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973544/
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

Should I be able to install that update into my wine directory for everything to work? I've installed visual C++ through winetricks and I'm still getting

err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\IP\\.wine2\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
The only time it's found is when it is in system32, but I'm being told here to remove those. Clearly this program requires it and isn't able to find it in winsxs
Usurp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Usurp »

InterestedParty wrote:Should I be able to install that update into my wine directory for everything to work? I've installed visual C++ through winetricks and I'm still getting

err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\IP\\.wine2\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\\BFBC2Game.exe") not found
The only time it's found is when it is in system32, but I'm being told here to remove those. Clearly this program requires it and isn't able to find it in winsxs
You seem to be using the wrong WINEPREFIX, use the one from /home/IP/.wine
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

InterestedParty wrote:
Should I be able to install that update into my wine directory for everything to work? I've installed visual C++ through winetricks and I'm still getting

Code:

That's because you are not LISTENING. So, shut up and listen now.

One. Remove this file. Completely remove the .wine directory and any
other directory associated with running Wine. You have munged things up
so badly at this point this is the only thing to do.

Two. Reread this entire forum post. READ CAREFULLY THE POSTS BY
VITAMIN. He knows what he is talking about. If you don't know what he
is talking about ask questions and wait for answers. DO NOT, and I
repeat, DO NOT install anything until you completely understand what you
are to do. You are upsetting us that do.

Three. Do what everyone here has told you to do.

Four. YOU ARE NOT STARTING THIS PROGRAM FROM THE CORRECT DIRECTORY.
That is what is causing many of your problems.

Five. ASK QUESTIONS. If you don't understand this, the only 'dumb'
question is that which you have not asked. Your question may point out
problems that others are having or point out a program error in Wine.
However, if you don't ask, you will not be satified with the responses
you receive here.

Six. READ the FAQ on how to install programs and how to use a
WINEPREFIX. This may be where you are having difficulties.

Now, explain, in painful detail what you did, step by step to get where
you are now. And I mean ALL of the details. Then be prepared to be
told where you went wrong and what you need to do to correct the
situation. First problem I see is that you are starting the program
from the wrong directory.

James McKenzie
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

env WINEPREFIX="/home/lun0s/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\BFBC2BetaUpdater.exe" 
rr:service:load_reg_multisz Error 1804 while reading value L"DependOnService"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c644,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1006e 0x00000000
fixme:x11drv:sync_window_opacity LWA_COLORKEY not supported
fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1006e
Using the wineprefix doesn't change anything.

$ locate msvcr80.dll | grep windows
/home/lun0s/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcr80.dll
"DO NOT install anything until you completely understand what you
are to do. You are upsetting us that do. " What more is there to run ./winetrick and click to install those programs, shouldn't those be the correct programs? I was even TOLD to use winetricks so I did. I'd rather avoid a entirely new .wine because I'm not so much a fan of reinstalling every program/game that is on my desktop. As you could tell from reading my posts I got a lot of programs for wine
InterestedParty
Level 2
Level 2

locate msvcp80.dll | grep windows
/home/lun0s/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcp80.dll
Guess I had hit 'r' instead of 'p' for the above query. But there is the dll that cannot be found.
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

Code:
locate msvcp80.dll | grep windows
/home/lun0s/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcp80.dll

Guess I had hit 'r' instead of 'p' for the above query. But there is the dll that cannot be found.
Did this dll get there using winetricks or did you copy the file
there? The reason I ask is it will not work by copying the file. Sorry
if this was asked above there are too many replies to go through..

John
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

InterestedParty wrote:
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/lun0s/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield Bad Company 2 - BETA\BFBC2BetaUpdater.exe"
rr:service:load_reg_multisz Error 1804 while reading value L"DependOnService"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c644,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1006e 0x00000000
fixme:x11drv:sync_window_opacity LWA_COLORKEY not supported
fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x1006e

Using the wineprefix doesn't change anything.

Code:
$ locate msvcr80.dll | grep windows
/home/lun0s/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcr80.dll

"DO NOT install anything until you completely understand what you
are to do. You are upsetting us that do. "
You still are not doing what we asked. Again, go back and re-read all
of the messages here. Vitamin has told you exactly what you need to do
and the file above is in the right place, but you need to run winetricks
AGAIN.