Borderlands DVD Gamespy & DLC1 not working w/ patch (...

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
we6jbo

Borderlands DVD Gamespy & DLC1 not working w/ patch (...

Post by we6jbo »

Borderlands DVD Gamespy & DLC1 not working w/ patch 1.0.1, 1.1.0 & 1.2.0

This is kind of odd. I've installed Borderlands multiple times with no problems. I've played Borderlands to the very end of the game and to Playthrough 2 without any problems. The problem I'm facing is that Borderlands does not recognise the patch. This causes the game to not work with Multiplayer under Gamespy. At first I thought this was a Gamespy issue and that their server was not recognising the patch but when I installed DLC1 I realised that the game itself is not recognising the patch. I've included a description of the steps I performed to install Borderlands and Zombie Island along with the directory tree. In all instances where I installed Borderlands, the patches and DLC1 I received a successful install message at the end.

1. Fully patch Borderlands to 1.2.0
2. Install Zombie Island
3. Play Borderlands
4. Gamespy portion requests that I use their online patch system to play multiplayer on the Internet
5. Zombie Island not appearing on the fast travel network

This is what my directories look like under wine where Borderlands is installed.
http://pastebin.com/m53884ff2

I'm not having any hardware issues but in case anyone is interested in knowing the specs I run Borderlands under, these are them.

Computer Specs:
Linux west 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 20:45:37 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
Asus P5B Delux motherboard
1 GB Memory
9800 GT 1024 GDDR3 PCIE2
Intel Pentium 4 ES 2800 MHz
vitamin

Re: Borderlands DVD Gamespy & DLC1 not working w/ patch

Post by vitamin »

we6jbo wrote:The problem I'm facing is that Borderlands does not recognise the patch. This causes the game to not work with Multiplayer under Gamespy.
What Wine version? Run your game from terminal and post complete output here or if big on pastebin.
we6jbo

Post by we6jbo »

wine-1.1.34

Here's the log output.
http://pastebin.com/m5a4c4fdb

Thanks for helping me on this.

Jeremiah O'Neal
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

we6jbo wrote:wine-1.1.34
A bit oldish - latest one released yesterday is wine-1.1.37.

Code: Select all

we6jbo@west:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/2K Games/Gearbox Software/Borderlands/Binaries$ ./runborderlands
You sure you running it form the right directory? Also you shouldn't use binfmt for Wine - it's dangerous and will break some programs dependent on correct directories to be started in.
we6jbo

Post by we6jbo »

I was using the guide posted here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=47494 ("HOWTO") to install Borderlands. I'll go ahead and upgrade Wine to the latest version from last night though I don't think that will solve my problem. If it does though I'll let you know here.

I also read a little about binfmt. I don't see where I'm using it here. The shell script, runborderlands

#!/bin/bash
echo Welcome to Borderlands log - `date +%D` >> /home/we6jbo/Backup/Borderlands.log
cd ~/".wine/drive_c/Program Files/2K Games/Gearbox Software/Borderlands/Binaries"
pwd >> /home/we6jbo/Backup/Borderlands.log
export WINE_VERSION=wine1134mouse
wine "Borderlands.exe" $@
sleep 1; echo -e "Backing up Borderlands save directory\a";
tar -cvf ~/Backup/`date +%N`backup.tar ~/"My Games"/ >> ~/Backup/Borderlands.log
sleep 1; echo -e "Done\a";
exit

There were reports that the save game files get corrupted so I use the script to backup the save directory and to export WINE_VERSION as it said in the HOWTO guide.

There's also another Binary directory above the first which contains Borderlands.exe. From what I've read, it says that I'm not suppose to use that one though I have tried using it and it gives me a bunch of errors and then quits.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

we6jbo wrote:I also read a little about binfmt. I don't see where I'm using it here. The shell script, runborderlands
Looked like you running the program directly not the script.

Don't know what to tell you, everything looks fine and I don't have the game to say how it supposed to work.
we6jbo

[Solved]Borderlands DVD Gamespy & DLC1 not working w/ pa

Post by we6jbo »

Erich Hoover in the appdb has come up with the solution to this problem.

The problem originally was that I could not get Borderlands to patch from the retail DVD version to 1.20 and that I could not get DLC1 to work. Indeed both the patch and DLC1 would install just fine but when the game ran there was no Zombie Island and the gamespy feature would ask me to patch the game and that if I did it in game nothing would happen.

Tip: Once you have gotten DLC1 to install you will be greeted with a message when running Borderlands the game saying that a new area called Zombie Island (?) is available in the game. This happens somewhere around the 2K and Gearbox and before the main menu allowing you to select to start a new game etc.

This is the copy/paste of Erich's solution and then I'll give my own version below.
Subject: RE: Borderlands multiplayer and DC1 not working for me.

You might be having a similar problem to something I encountered, where the
patch is finding the wrong game folder from the registry. discovered that the
game's registry key was incorrect. If I remember correctly the key to edit in
the registry is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\InstallFolder]

You'll probably find that it points to (if you installed to the default folder):
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries

Just remove the "\Binaries" from the end of the string. It should read (default
install folder):
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands

Once you've done this then re-run the patch installer.
To begin I ran regedit from terminal which will open up Wine Registry Editor. Then where the Registry Editor tree is I selected My Computer > HKey_Local_Machine > Software > Gearbox Software > Borderlands There are a few entries in here for Name, Type and Data. The one I wanted was Install Folder for Name. I right clicked it, select modify and changed the Data to C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands I then clicked Ok and closed Registry Editor (Registry Editor automatically saves the moment you make a modification). I then followed the steps given to me by Gearbox which I'll paste below.
Thank you for buying "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - Zombies on Pandora!" from
Gearbox Software. We hope you enjoy! Make sure to save this email.

Here is your product key to activate once your download is complete and you
begin to install:
XXXXX

"The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - Zombies on Pandora!" will only work on your copy
of Borderlands. If you want to play "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - Zombies on
Pandora!" with your friends, send them this link:
https://store.gearboxsoftware.com/check ... lands_dlc1

To download "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - Zombies on Pandora!" later, use this
link:
http://updates.gearboxsoftware.com/dlc/ ... ldwide.zip

Versions 1.10 or later of Borderlands is required for this bonus content.
Download the latest update for International releases of Borderlands:
http://updates.gearboxsoftware.com/dlc/ ... PC1.20.zip

For support, visit:
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/fo ... y.php?f=71

Thanks!
Gearbox Software
After following those directions and successfully installing both the 1.20 patch (Note I don't believe and past patches are required before installing 1.20) and then after installing DLC1. I then went through my steps to run Borderlands in my case using the script in my previous post which has lead to where I am now which is a patched version of Borderlands and DLC1 Zombie Island.

I'd like to thank everyone here and Erich for helping me with this problem.[/quote]