Itunes on Wine?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
cgutzmer

Itunes on Wine?

Post by cgutzmer »

I found in the DB where its listed as running but I cant get it to even install on wine under Linuxmint (helena) I am using Wine 1.0.1

When I run the install there is a drop down to choose default language - this is blank and there is nothing in the dropdown. I continue the install and it runs a bunch of stuff then it say complete with this dialog:

The installer encountered errors before iTunes could be configured.
Your system has not been modified. To retry the operations at a later time, please run the installer again.

Click Finish to exit the installer.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Chris
p.s. I see there is a way to report issues in the DB but those dont appear to have been addressed for a couple weeks now.
Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Itunes on Wine?

Post by dimesio »

cgutzmer wrote:I found in the DB where its listed as running but I cant get it to even install on wine under Linuxmint (helena) I am using Wine 1.0.1
That version is over a year old. Upgrade to the latest development release.
p.s. I see there is a way to report issues in the DB but those dont appear to have been addressed for a couple weeks now.
If you mean the comments section, that is not the place to report anything. Come here to the forum for support, report bugs in bugzilla.
cgutzmer

Post by cgutzmer »

Thanks! I have Helena but Chose Lenny as that was the closest version

It now installs but I get An error 7 please reinstall. Any ideas here? Hopefully this latest version allows me to run submitwolf too :) these are the only two items keeping me from a complete switch from vista :)
cgutzmer

Post by cgutzmer »

hmm, no ideas? :( I will go mess around some more. Maybe try a different version. Still open to suggestions though!
Thanks
Chris
wreinmicheal

Post by wreinmicheal »

I gave winecfg a go - as per the franks corner link above. Just to save others time: winecfg latest version is 2003 (so old, and maybe not up to date, but it seems to work), to get it: google for it - it's a sourceforge project.....untar and copy the windows files to your wine c_drive.

Anyway, franks corner also says to set itunes to be a virtual desktop.....this isn't possible with winecfg (or at least, if it is, then it's hidden in some obscure corner).

The final result of the franks corner itunes install is that i have itunes and quicktime installed, but when running itunes, i get a message that my quicktime version isn't up to date enough to run itunes - i have version 7.0d0 (so says the error message - this was the version of quicktime installed under wine with the latest itunessetup.exe). Incidentally, the same quicktime install under pure windows is version 7.1 something.

Has anyone got itunes working under wine ? Any tips please ? WineHQ apps db says that one person has itunes up under ubuntu, but I am ubuntu, and a straight install under wine fails - the quicktime installer never finishes its install.

Thanks for whatever tips are out there.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

wreinmicheal wrote:I gave winecfg a go - as per the franks corner link above. Just to save others time: winecfg latest version is 2003 (so old, and maybe not up to date, but it seems to work), to get it: google for it - it's a sourceforge project.....untar and copy the windows files to your wine c_drive.
DO NOT DO THIS. Winecfg is Wine's configuration tool. It comes with Wine. You don't have to download anything. That is what Frank's Corner is referring to, and googling "winecfg" brings up the official Wine wiki page about the REAL winecfg as the first item, which is where you should have looked for information about it. The Sourceforge project I never heard of before this; it could be some sort of predecessor to Wine's winecfg (I don't know), but it is obviously very outdated and should not be used.
Anyway, franks corner also says to set itunes to be a virtual desktop.....this isn't possible with winecfg (or at least, if it is, then it's hidden in some obscure corner).
In the real winecfg, you will find "Emulate a virtual desktop" on the graphics tab.
The final result of the franks corner itunes install is that i have itunes and quicktime installed, but when running itunes, i get a message that my quicktime version isn't up to date enough to run itunes - i have version 7.0d0 (so says the error message - this was the version of quicktime installed under wine with the latest itunessetup.exe). Incidentally, the same quicktime install under pure windows is version 7.1 something.
Install quicktime with winetricks. http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

FYI, while Frank's Corner does still have some useful information, much of what's on that site is outdated and some of it is just plain wrong.