Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveLevy »

This seems to be working for me now. It involved a little poking around so I have documented it on my bliki and here.

I started at wiki :: macosx :: Building so thanks for that. Since it was recommended to make a build from source and since I had to install a package manager of some description to get the source code I downloaded git as recommended.

My process
  • * Download xcode, for 10.5, you need version 3.1.3
    * Download git (I think so, now not sure if its part of MacOSX 10.5)
    * Download the source using git, see wiki :: gitwine
    * 'make' the binary, use --disable-win16
    * link the xfree libraries to /usr/lib
The last line might not be the best way to solve the problem but I tested the install using ConTEXT and had xfree errors, but not now. Having had another look at the wiki page, theres some advice on using

DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

which I didn't understand as pertinant because I am not a developer, which might make the next stage fun. Is this relevant to the xfree errors problem?

I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them. Thanks

Otherwise not as painful as I'd thought.
dimesio

Re: Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by dimesio »

DaveLevy wrote: I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them.
So change it. The wiki can be edited by anyone.
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveLevy »

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I have tested the impact of setting the environment variable DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as opposed to using symlinks to access X11 libraries and would appreciate advice on a newcomer updating the wiki's MAC page.

The long environment variable, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, which I have found documented http://osxfaq.com/man/1/dyld.ws, does permit WINE to find the xfree font libraries, so we now have two ways of solving my problem, which related to the Xfree fonts.

I deleted my symlinks and then set the environment variable. I am using Context as my test program and this worked fine.

I have decided to use the symlink solution since I believe it to be more persistent and I am unsure that the wiki document is a good solution. I suggest that

Code: Select all

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib:/usr/lib:${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}"
is better, possibly with a test to see if /usr/lib is already in the path.

The wiki makes no mention of the xfree libraries;it proposes using the hack to get at the OpenGL libraries. I was fooled because I am not a UNIX developer and believe this relates to Apple's proprietary link loader. (It might be part of BSD, but I didn't understand its relevance to my problem.)

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.

I made the symlinks as follows,

Code: Select all

sudo bash
cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/X11/lib/libfree*
exit
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveLevy »

I found the hint at http://forums.macnn.com not here.

Using the environment variable may solve for a broader problem set as I use more complex programs. i.e. it works for Context but not for the games I want to run.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

DaveLevy wrote:

Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by DaveLevy »

James McKenzie wrote:DaveLevy wrote:

seen before.

James McKenzie
I found out about the symlink hack on this thread at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

DaveLevy wrote:
I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.
There is no such system here.
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

dimesio wrote:

DaveLevy wrote:

There is no such system here.
All Wiki entries are subject to additions/deletions and overwriting at any time. All entries are subject to peer review as well. However, if you find incorrect information, please update it as well. The Wiki is way out of date in some areas and needs to be updated to current status with improved information. You do NOT need to go before a 'board' to get approval here to update the Wiki. Please be aware if you attempt to spam the Wiki, that there are backups of the Wiki pages so we can restore them (at least from what I understand as several pages had to be rolled back.)

James McKenzie
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

DaveLevy wrote:

James McKenzie wrote:
DaveLevy wrote:

seen before.

James McKenzie
I found out about the symlink hack on this thread (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative ... ine-wants-
freetype-font-library/) at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find
an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.
Thank you for providing the source of your information. I will attempt to get to the MacNN forums to review other ideas as well.

James McKenzie
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DaveLevy »

Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

DaveLevy wrote:Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?
run time issue... doesn't matter how it was built.