Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Locked
DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Contact:

Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by DaveLevy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 am

This seems to be working for me now. It involved a little poking around so I have documented it on my bliki and here.

I started at wiki :: macosx :: Building so thanks for that. Since it was recommended to make a build from source and since I had to install a package manager of some description to get the source code I downloaded git as recommended.

My process
  • * Download xcode, for 10.5, you need version 3.1.3
    * Download git (I think so, now not sure if its part of MacOSX 10.5)
    * Download the source using git, see wiki :: gitwine
    * 'make' the binary, use --disable-win16
    * link the xfree libraries to /usr/lib
The last line might not be the best way to solve the problem but I tested the install using ConTEXT and had xfree errors, but not now. Having had another look at the wiki page, theres some advice on using

DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

which I didn't understand as pertinant because I am not a developer, which might make the next stage fun. Is this relevant to the xfree errors problem?

I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them. Thanks

Otherwise not as painful as I'd thought.

User avatar
dimesio
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12692
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by dimesio » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 am

DaveLevy wrote: I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them.
So change it. The wiki can be edited by anyone.

DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Contact:

Post by DaveLevy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 am

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I have tested the impact of setting the environment variable DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as opposed to using symlinks to access X11 libraries and would appreciate advice on a newcomer updating the wiki's MAC page.

The long environment variable, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, which I have found documented http://osxfaq.com/man/1/dyld.ws, does permit WINE to find the xfree font libraries, so we now have two ways of solving my problem, which related to the Xfree fonts.

I deleted my symlinks and then set the environment variable. I am using Context as my test program and this worked fine.

I have decided to use the symlink solution since I believe it to be more persistent and I am unsure that the wiki document is a good solution. I suggest that

Code: Select all

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib:/usr/lib:${DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH}"
is better, possibly with a test to see if /usr/lib is already in the path.

The wiki makes no mention of the xfree libraries;it proposes using the hack to get at the OpenGL libraries. I was fooled because I am not a UNIX developer and believe this relates to Apple's proprietary link loader. (It might be part of BSD, but I didn't understand its relevance to my problem.)

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.

I made the symlinks as follows,

Code: Select all

sudo bash
cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/X11/lib/libfree*
exit
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.

DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Contact:

Post by DaveLevy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 am

I found the hint at http://forums.macnn.com not here.

Using the environment variable may solve for a broader problem set as I use more complex programs. i.e. it works for Context but not for the games I want to run.

James McKenzie

Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by James McKenzie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 pm

DaveLevy wrote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.


Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie

DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Contact:

Re: Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by DaveLevy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 am

James McKenzie wrote:DaveLevy wrote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.
Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie
I found out about the symlink hack on this thread at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.

User avatar
dimesio
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12692
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Post by dimesio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:47 am

DaveLevy wrote:
I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.
There is no such system here.

James Mckenzie

Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by James Mckenzie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 am

dimesio wrote:

DaveLevy wrote:

I am prepared to make changes to the wiki page as suggested by dimesio above, but would again like some advice on ettiquette. This would be my first contribution to the WINE project in any way and am more used to led wikis such as media wiki or confluence where 'out of the blue' contributions are placed on a talk page or submitted as signed comments before being voted (in some way) to the front page.
There is no such system here.
All Wiki entries are subject to additions/deletions and overwriting at any time. All entries are subject to peer review as well. However, if you find incorrect information, please update it as well. The Wiki is way out of date in some areas and needs to be updated to current status with improved information. You do NOT need to go before a 'board' to get approval here to update the Wiki. Please be aware if you attempt to spam the Wiki, that there are backups of the Wiki pages so we can restore them (at least from what I understand as several pages had to be rolled back.)

James McKenzie

James Mckenzie

Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post by James Mckenzie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 am

DaveLevy wrote:

James McKenzie wrote:
DaveLevy wrote:
NB This trick was documented by someone else on this forum.

Which trick? The DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH or adding the symlinks?

The first has been documented in several places, the second I have not
seen before.

James McKenzie
I found out about the symlink hack on this thread (http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative ... ine-wants-
freetype-font-library/) at http://forums.macnn.com. My second post above tried to correct the statement you quoted; I couldn't find
an edit button, I was just trying to ensure I credited my sources.
Thank you for providing the source of your information. I will attempt to get to the MacNN forums to review other ideas as well.

James McKenzie

DaveLevy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: normally in London or the South of England
Contact:

Post by DaveLevy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?

doh123
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 1227
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Post by doh123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 am

DaveLevy wrote:Is this a run time issue only, or does setting the environment variable before the build help in any way?
run time issue... doesn't matter how it was built.

Locked