I started at wiki :: macosx :: Building so thanks for that. Since it was recommended to make a build from source and since I had to install a package manager of some description to get the source code I downloaded git as recommended.
- * Download xcode, for 10.5, you need version 3.1.3
* Download git (I think so, now not sure if its part of MacOSX 10.5)
* Download the source using git, see wiki :: gitwine
* 'make' the binary, use --disable-win16
* link the xfree libraries to /usr/lib
which I didn't understand as pertinant because I am not a developer, which might make the next stage fun. Is this relevant to the xfree errors problem?
I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them. Thanks
Otherwise not as painful as I'd thought.