Removed menu entries and now they don't come back

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Removed menu entries and now they don't come back

Post by Fazer »

I removed menu entries for Wine because I wanted to remove it completely and then reinstall it. But after reinstallation of v.0.9.59 from repo they didn't come back. Now I don't know how to bring them back or at least how can I manually create entries which will run Steam? I tried "wine "/home/arkadiusz/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" but there is a message "Fatal Error: Could not load module "bin/vgui2.dll"". I can still run Steam from the console, but it takes some time to type all paths to directories.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Based on what's in my menus, the syntax should be something like:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/arkadiusz/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe"
Also, some Windows apps can be very fussy about what directory they're started from, and I think that's the reason for the error message. In KDE, the menu editor has a field called "work path"; entering the full path to the directory where the executable is located solved a similar problem with a different app for me.
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

Thanks, that worked. Now the question remains - how can I tell Wine to restore old menu entries and create them for new applications in future?
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

I found that I still have "residues" of menu entries on my hard drive - in directory /home/arkadiusz/.local/share/applications/wine/Programy/Steam. There are Steam, Steam Support Center and Team Fortress 2 executables. If only I had known where should I copy them, they would appear in the real applications menu.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Fazer wrote:Thanks, that worked. Now the question remains - how can I tell Wine to restore old menu entries and create them for new applications in future?
Give this a try:

Code: Select all

find ~/.wine/drive_c/ -name "*.lnk" -exec wine winemenubuilder '{}' \;
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

What should it do? Because I got this in the console:

arkadiusz@ubuntu:~> find ~/.wine/drive_c/ -name "*.lnk" -exec wine winemenubuilder '{}' \;
fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub

I guess nothing happened because there are no new entries in the menu.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Fazer wrote:What should it do? Because I got this in the console:

arkadiusz@ubuntu:~> find ~/.wine/drive_c/ -name "*.lnk" -exec wine winemenubuilder '{}' \;

I guess nothing happened because there are no new entries in the menu.
Could be. How did you removed those entries?
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

I clicked right mouse button on the Applications, Modify menu. Then I clicked rmb on Wine directory and Remove.
Btw I have it in polish, so I wrote a rough translation.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Fazer wrote:I clicked right mouse button on the Applications, Modify menu. Then I clicked rmb on Wine directory and Remove.
Btw I have it in polish, so I wrote a rough translation.
That doesn't remove them from the disk. It hides them. You will have to use the same means to "un-hide" those menu entries. Ask your distro support channels for how exactly that part works.