Torchlight

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Berillions
Level 4
Level 4

Torchlight

Post by Berillions »

Hello,

I don't know if you can help me but i tried to install the game but i have an error message after to launch the game. The installation is successful.

i did a screen for my error message :

The problem is during the installation, the game install Visual C++ 2008 and i don't understand why i have this message.

Do you know why?

Thanks
Berillions
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Berillions »

CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeePhour »

http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip

Download that, extract it, and it's fairly self-explanatory if you read the included .bat.

Basically, you're just copying "settings.txt" to ~/.wine/drive_c/users/<USER NAME>/Application Data/runic games/torchlight", the directories will already be in place, but the "settings.txt" file could not be created because the game won't run for us.

Apparently this runs the game in "safe mode". So far it has allowed the game to fire up for me, I was able to create a character, and get into the town of Torchlight, then I came here straight away in case you've been waiting for some progress :)

Not sure how long that link will last either, this was put up by the devs today for people who don't have a "safe mode shortcut" (I sure didn't), and it's like pulling teeth trying to get a commandline switch to enable it. Apparently there is also a Netbook mode.
vitamin

Re: Torchlight

Post by vitamin »

Berillions wrote:The problem is during the installation, the game install Visual C++ 2008 and i don't understand why i have this message.
It didn't install it properly. Or you have very old Wine version.

First make sure you have a recent Wine version (wine-1.0.x are 1-year old).
Remove any *80*.dll files from ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. Install msvc2005 runtime with 'winetricks vcrun2005sp1' http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeePhour »

I'm using wine version 1.1.29 and got the exact same error message. According to people on the Runic Games forums, Windows users are also having this issue.

As for an update :
All I did was copy the settings.txt from the file above into the location that was specified, and I have been playing since then just fine.

I have been into multiple dungeons, back and forth to town many times, character level 8, created another character, and swithced between the two, morphed my pet into different creatures multiple times, fished for a good 20 minutes, sold hundreds of items :lol:, enchanted my weapons, gemmed items, and changed every piece of equipment except an amulet many times, accepted and completed multiple quests. and so far not a single crash caused by gameplay.

The things that don't seem to be working (causing a crash) are :

*Enabling fullscreen causes the game to crash and will not load again (until settings.txt is replaced with the one from the archive).
*Changing resolution works, but the game crashes - the resolution change does take effect when the game is restarted.

And I believe this is a 'fairly minor' graphical issue :
*"Fire" effect seems... too much... . I have avoided using items with added fire damage because they seem to cause a quarter of the screen to appear "on fire". Not sure if this is intended or not.

Fullscreen would be very nice, probably my only real complaint. I'm also not exactly sure what "safe mode" disables. All the particle effects and such appear to be in-tact, I don't assume it disables high-end graphical effects...?
Berillions
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Berillions »

Hello Ceephour, where is this file : settings.txt ?

@vitamin, i used wine 1.1.32 :wink:
waker

Post by waker »

anyone tried steam version? i can't get it to start.. steam itself works, but when it attempts to start the game - nothing happens..
Warren Dumortier

Torchlight

Post by Warren Dumortier »

How much FPS do you get? Could you have a look, with WINEDEBUG+fps maybe ;)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.htm>
floxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by floxyz »

I did now everything mentioned in this thread but I have big problem. When I start Torchlight, freshly installed just with the settings.txt, it freezes after some time the whole system (fedora 11, GNOME). I have to restart my laptop, there is nothing else I can do. So what do you recommend to try?
CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeePhour »

Berillions wrote:Hello Ceephour, where is this file : settings.txt ?
@vitamin, i used wine 1.1.32 :wink:
The file is created upon first run of the game. However, when we launch the game it crashes, and the file is never created. The cycle repeats until the file is present. It is in this archive : http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip
CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeePhour »

floxyz wrote:I did now everything mentioned in this thread but I have big problem. When I start Torchlight, freshly installed just with the settings.txt, it freezes after some time the whole system (fedora 11, GNOME). I have to restart my laptop, there is nothing else I can do. So what do you recommend to try?
Is it a handful of minutes, or many hours? Users on the Runic Games forum are complaining about diminished performance over time, so much so that they are restarting the game after 20 minutes
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic. ... 34&p=23322

Last night I played for a good 3 hours and only noticed a split-second hiccup when large groups of enemies popped on screen (>15 ?) at once. I do have some frame tearing, but framerate (whatever it is) appeared to maintain steady otherwise (even when fighting large groups of enemies with tons of effects).

Shadows: High
Particle Detail: High
Resolution: 1600x1024
Antialiasing: OFF
Fullscreen: OFF
Render behind walls: ON
Netbook mode: OFF
Show Blood: ON
Show event info: ON
CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Torchlight

Post by CeePhour »

Warren Dumortier wrote:How much FPS do you get? Could you have a look, with WINEDEBUG+fps maybe ;)
To enable:
Open "settings.txt"
Change "CONSOLE:0" to "CONSOLE:1"
When in game press 'Shift+~'
Type 'fps'

I'm on my way out the door for work, but I loaded it up real quick and cleared one room of guys (entry of floor 7), framerate seems to vary from 40-90. VSYNC:0 is set in settings.txt, I will play around with things more when I get home later tonight.
floxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by floxyz »

CeePhour wrote: Is it a handful of minutes, or many hours? Users on the Runic Games forum are complaining about diminished performance over time, so much so that they are restarting the game after 20 minutes
I see the first tip screen and then I can't do anything. Nothing reacts so I have to restart with the power button.
Berillions
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Berillions »

Even if i copy the setting.txt (safemode.zip), i have the error message posted in my first message in this topic... :cry:
CeePhour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeePhour »

There seems to be some discussion about this over at their official forums.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1272
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2125
dong

Post by dong »

Hi there.

I have some performance issues with torchlight, too.

I am able to install the game and with the settings.txt from http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip i am able to run it as well. Everything without a problem so far.

The problem is that I am experiencing extremely poor performance. You can tell by the look of the menu screen lagging. The game runs on an unplayable framerate.

What I did:
1. I installed the game from .iso
2. I copied settings.txt from the link above to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight
3. And I started the game (wine Torchlight.exe)
No problems, no error-messages popping up. Just incredibly low framerate ingame.

After noticing the poor performance I uninstalled Torchlight, installed dcom98 vcrun2008 with winetricks, reinstalled the game but no changes. Setting all details off/low, no fullscreen, no anti-aliasing and activating the netbook mode didn't help.

My system:
Ubuntu 9.04 (64bit)
wine 1.1.32
Nvidia Geforce FX 5950 Ultra using proprietary driver 173.14.16
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1Gb DDR400 RAM

I know, this is low end Hardware, especially for gaming, but I am quiet sure, that this it not hardware related.
A friend of mine runs a way better system with dualboot winxp and ubuntu 9.04. While he was able to play Torchlight with full details, activated anti-aliasing and high resolution under winxp, he encountered exactly the same problems when running torchlight with wine under ubuntu 9.04. Extremely low and unplayable framerate no matter what setting he used. So the hardware doesn't seem to be the issue here, especially considering that people claim to be ablte to play the game on low performing netbooks.

Can anyone help me out on this?
I would really appreciate some help and would enjoy to be able to play Torchlight after I have not seen any decent hack and slay game since Titan Quest.

Thanks for any help.
lgtspecb

Post by lgtspecb »

I am able to run this game beautifully under wine. Game is running at 2560x1600 fullscreen with all detail on full and fullscreen anti-aliasing turned on. I get around 50 fps in town and 35-50 fps in the dungeons. During a big fight it never drops below 20.

The only problem I am experiencing is that I cannot click on settings from within the games ui or I get a crash. But as a long time Linux user I am fine with just changing a config file. If you are experiencing performance issues, I recommend using OpenGL rendering. I recommend this regardless of experiencing issues or not.

Here is my guide to setting it up:

1) Get a copy of the game. I purchased mine from torchlightgame.com, which does not run because of the Yummy DRM. People have had mixed results with the Steam version and it should work following this guide.

2) If you don't have it already, get the latest version of wine. (http://www.winehq.org/download/). Make sure to run winecfg before installing anything to set up your wine disk, registry and configuration.

3) Download winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)

4) Install dcom98 and vcrun2008 by executing `sh winetricks dcom98 vcrun2008` where ever you downloaded winetricks to.

5) Install the game by executing `wine /path/to/torchlight.exe`.

6) This may not be necessary, but get the latest service pack for the visual c++ runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en. Install it with `wine vcredist_x86.exe`.

7) Launch torchlight in safe mode using the shortcut in your Applications Menu (In Ubuntu its Applications > Wine > Programs > Torchlight Play Torchlight Safe Mode) or by executing `env WINEPREFIX="~/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Runic Games\Torchlight\Torchlight.exe" SAFEMODE=1`

You can change all the settings you want here, but the main point is to create the settings.txt file in your users folder. The game will crash when you change the resolution, but it will be saved.

Alternatively you can download safemode.zip from http://www.runicgames.com/uploads/safemode.zip which contains a settings.txt file you can extract to your users application data/runic games/torchlight folder under .wine/drive_c.

8) Edit the settings.txt file in your users application data/runic games/torchlight folder under .wine/drive_c. Change the line

OPENGL: 0 to OPENGL: 1

you can also change any other parameters you want here such as vsynch, fsaa, fullscreen, res, etc.

9) Copy ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/Plugins.cfg to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/plugins_opengl.cfg

10) Edit plugins_opengl.cfm

Comment the line Plugin=RenderSystem_Direct3D9

Uncomment the line #Plugin=RenderSystem_GL

11) Launch the game and have fun :)
lgtspecb

Post by lgtspecb »

Note the pic above, there is not a problem with the game, the save screenshot dialog was just popping up and the compiz shadow got included in the screen.
lgtspecb

Post by lgtspecb »

Sorry, this is my first guide and editing is turned off in this forum. I wanted to note a few things from my guide above.

1) There is a spelling error in my step 10. The file name should be plugins_opengl.cfg as created in step 9. Not plugins_opengl.cfm. Setting OPENGL:1 in settings.txt is not enough, the game will crash on startup if the plugins_opengl.cfg file does not exist.

2) The purpose of running the game in safe mode is to create the settings.txt file. You can get this file from safemode.zip but since the game has not been run you will need to create the directory structure yourself, the easiest method is to just run the game in safemode.

3) When running in fullscreen, the game takes a long time to launch and the splash screen does not show up. Just wait it out, it should launch fine. The splash screen does display when running in windowed mode.

4) Make sure you have the video drivers for your distribution.

5) The correct location for settings.txt is "~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/runic games/torchlight/settings.txt", not "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/settings.txt" as in dong's post. This is where the file will be created when you run it in safe mode.

6) Running in safe mode will overwrite any settings.txt file you previously had with a new fresh copy. This can be handy if you mess it up, but dangerous if you open the game in safe mode unintentionally. After the game has been run, do all your settings changes manually by editing the file.

7) I am only getting 20-50fps in my screenshot because before even launching the game I am at 60% ram utilization with apache, mysql and coldfusion running in the background, evolution, eclipse, firefox with 20+ tabs, pidgin, xchat, virtualbox, amarok, screenlets, etc running on my other virtual desktop. The game actually runs significantly faster in Linux with Wine, than it does natively on Windows XP with reduced loading times, higher frame rates, and no degradation over time. On my underpowered laptop with Karmic, compiz, screenlets, awn, dockbarx, etc running i get 40-60fps consistently.

8) My setup is Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, Wine 1.1.32, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 4GB ram, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 180).
lgtspecb

Post by lgtspecb »

Wow, i'm such a newb. I really wish editing was turned on.

I forgot to mention you also need Mono for Windows installed. Get the latest version of "Mono for Windows, Gtk#, and XSP" from http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html and install with `wine mono-x.x.x.x-gtksharp-x.x.x-win32-3.exe` or include it in the winetricks line in step 4 above `sh winetricks dcom98 vcrun2008 mono24`.

Sorry, I hope thats all.
waker

Post by waker »

lgtspecb wrote:Sorry, this is my first guide and editing is turned off in this forum. I wanted to note a few things from my guide above.

1) There is a spelling error in my step 10. The file name should be plugins_opengl.cfg as created in step 9. Not plugins_opengl.cfm. Setting OPENGL:1 in settings.txt is not enough, the game will crash on startup if the plugins_opengl.cfg file does not exist.

2) The purpose of running the game in safe mode is to create the settings.txt file. You can get this file from safemode.zip but since the game has not been run you will need to create the directory structure yourself, the easiest method is to just run the game in safemode.

3) When running in fullscreen, the game takes a long time to launch and the splash screen does not show up. Just wait it out, it should launch fine. The splash screen does display when running in windowed mode.

4) Make sure you have the video drivers for your distribution.

5) The correct location for settings.txt is "~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/runic games/torchlight/settings.txt", not "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/settings.txt" as in dong's post. This is where the file will be created when you run it in safe mode.

6) Running in safe mode will overwrite any settings.txt file you previously had with a new fresh copy. This can be handy if you mess it up, but dangerous if you open the game in safe mode unintentionally. After the game has been run, do all your settings changes manually by editing the file.

7) I am only getting 20-50fps in my screenshot because before even launching the game I am at 60% ram utilization with apache, mysql and coldfusion running in the background, evolution, eclipse, firefox with 20+ tabs, pidgin, xchat, virtualbox, amarok, screenlets, etc running on my other virtual desktop. The game actually runs significantly faster in Linux with Wine, than it does natively on Windows XP with reduced loading times, higher frame rates, and no degradation over time. On my underpowered laptop with Karmic, compiz, screenlets, awn, dockbarx, etc running i get 40-60fps consistently.

8) My setup is Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, Wine 1.1.32, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 4GB ram, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 180).
waker

Post by waker »

sorry, clicked wrong button.

lgtspecb, your guide worked perfectly!
thank you very much.

it only seems to work with cracked version though.. (i bought from steam)
techzen

Post by techzen »

I'm new to using wine so hopefully this problem can be solved easily...

I get torchlight to run but only when I choose safemode, definitely not when I change everything to opengl.

When the game loads the only thing I can see is the characters hair and the gui, everything else is just blue. I can even see the minimap but no actual graphics. I have a lenovo R61i if it matters and I'm running ubuntu 9.10, upgraded from 9.04.

Is there anything I can do or any tweaks I can try to get this working?
techzen

Post by techzen »

well after about 4 hours I got the game to run just fine in direct3d mode...I have no idea why opengl won't work. I also have no idea what I did to get it to work in d3d, I was all over the place, but it is possible on a lenovo with intel graphics
feedmeh8
Level 1
Level 1

help plz :(

Post by feedmeh8 »

got torchlight working in wine under direct3d a few days ago .. but now the screen is a total mess of graphic glithes. Dont know why as i changed nothing after i got it working .. played for 4 days perfectly fine.

Ubuntu 9.10 Lenovo t61 intel chipset 2 gigs ram

screenshot to what it looks like now: