Might and Magic - Doesn't read CD Drive

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ViperDaimao

Post by ViperDaimao »

I'm on a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and WINE .9.46 installed. I installed the Might and Magic Millennium Edition (Might and Magic 4-7), and am having problems playing the games. When I try to run the games, it asks for the CD, even though the cd is in the drive.

When I go to the Wine Configuration and the drives tab, there is no D drive listed. So I hit 'Autodetect' and it creates a D drive with this path.
/media/cdrom
I hit apply and then ok, and try again, and still doesn't register that there's a CD in the D drive. I go back to the configuration screen and the D drive is gone.

I look at the ~/.wine/dosdevices location at the drives and still see a D shortcut, but it's not like the other drives. It has 2 colons "D::" and doesn't go anywhere when I double click on it. It just tries gives me an error

"D:: Cannot Be Opened
No application is known for this kind of file."

Can anyone help me to get these games working.
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM, ViperDaimao <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm on a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and WINE .9.46 installed. ...
When I go to the Wine Configuration and the drives tab, there is no D drive listed. So I hit 'Autodetect' and it creates a D drive with this path.
/media/cdrom
I hit apply and then ok, and try again, and still doesn't register that there's a CD in the D drive. I go back to the configuration screen and the D drive is gone.
I think this is our winecfg autodetect fighting with our HAL/dbus autodetect.
I've seen this, too.
I look at the ~/.wine/dosdevices location at the drives and still see a D shortcut, but it's not like the other drives. It has 2 colons "D::"
The double colon shortcuts are for the raw cd-rom device. They
don't replace the single-colon shortcuts, which are to the mounted
filesystem.

I know this doesn't help particularly with your game, but maybe it's
useful info anyway.
dale5351

Re: Might and Magic - Doesn't read CD Drive

Post by dale5351 »

ViperDaimao wrote:I installed the Might and Magic Millennium Edition (Might and Magic 4-7), and am having problems playing the games. When I try to run the games, it asks for the CD, even though the cd is in the drive.
I have had problems in the past with M&M and Heroes M&M doing that to the point where the CD drive quit and had to be replaced. You might try to google on "Might Magic nocd" (without the quotes) and look at what comes up.