wine config problems on Kubuntu 9.04

Questions about Wine on Linux
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

wine config problems on Kubuntu 9.04

Post by nadrach »

A Linux newbie friend is trying Kubuntu 9.04 and wants to experiment with wine. He has tried 1.1.28-29-30 and has two situations reoccuring.

The first is that wine installs such that the KDE4 menu option to browse the C drive is directing at "/home/<user>/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:" instead of "/home/<user>/.wine/dosdevices/c:" and we cannot find where to edit this in 9.04. (I am currently staying on 8.04 because of wifi problems with 9.04, so am not yet familiar with 9.04).

The second is that in the dosdevices directory. a link is being set up for "e:: > /dev/sr0". This drive is not listed in the wine configuration "drives" tab, presumably because of the second colon in the link name. Is this correct? If not, what is a safe procedure to rename this link without breaking anything?
vitamin

Re: wine config problems on Kubuntu 9.04

Post by vitamin »

nadrach wrote:The first is that wine installs such that the KDE4 menu option to browse the C drive is directing at "/home/<user>/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:" instead of "/home/<user>/.wine/dosdevices/c:"
This is addition from your distro packager. Please ask on th Ubuntu's forum what to do about it.
nadrach wrote:The second is that in the dosdevices directory. a link is being set up for "e:: > /dev/sr0". This drive is not listed in the wine configuration "drives" tab
This is correct, if you do not have that CD mounted.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Finally found an answer ...

Post by nadrach »

The wine drive C: situation is an unresolved bug associated with the behaviour of the Application launcher and the command specified for the "Browse Drive C:" icon installed by Wine:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/223989

there are many Ubuntu/Kubuntu threads with queries ever since around 2008, I found possible fixes in:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3114133.0

and

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329802

but perhaps it would be better if the "Browse C: Drive" icon were removed from the wine install. It only gives access to the C: drive for the default wine prefix and you have to use winetricks to change the prefix to get at the C: drive for any application installed under a different prefix. The practice of installing each Windows Application in its own prefix may make operating sense but it is the hardest thing I have to explain to newbies for whom I install Linux.

Also I do wonder what happens if I try to run two windows applications at the same time which are installed in different prefixes and therefore refer to separate C: drives. Not actually tried this yet ... what am I likely to see?
dimesio

Re: Finally found an answer ...

Post by dimesio »

nadrach wrote: but perhaps it would be better if the "Browse C: Drive" icon were removed from the wine install.
That icon is not part of Wine; it is added by some distros to their Wine packages. The place to make this suggestion is to your distro, not here.
Also I do wonder what happens if I try to run two windows applications at the same time which are installed in different prefixes and therefore refer to separate C: drives. Not actually tried this yet ... what am I likely to see?
Both of them running.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Ah-Ha!

Post by nadrach »

That icon is not part of Wine; it is added by some distros to their Wine packages. The place to make this suggestion is to your distro, not here.
Thank you ... so tis an Ubuntu/Kubuntu hiccup ... and not fixed after 3 years or more, so unlikely to be ... ignore ... use winetricks.
Both of them running.
Coo ... so they do ... neat!