SetWindowsHookEx16

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
JWilliamCupp
Level 1
Level 1

SetWindowsHookEx16

Post by JWilliamCupp »

I have this problem reported when running a Win3x application:
fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16 hook type 1 broken in Win16

I have searched and found this exact error and similar ones (up to fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16) reported as part of other error messages, but I haven't seen what to do about it.

It seems this is the only error I am getting.

What can I do about it? What does it mean?

Thanks in advance,
-Bill
vitamin

Re: SetWindowsHookEx16

Post by vitamin »

JWilliamCupp wrote:I have this problem reported when running a Win3x application:

I have searched and found this exact error and similar ones (up to fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16) reported as part of other error messages, but I haven't seen what to do about it.

It seems this is the only error I am getting.

What can I do about it?
Ignore it. Wine can print lots of different messages. Unless you have a real problem with your application you ignore those messages.
Dan Kegel

SetWindowsHookEx16

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:31 AM, JWilliamCupp <[email protected]> wrote:
I have this problem reported when running a Win3x application:

What's the app?
JWilliamCupp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JWilliamCupp »

It is called "GradeBook for Windows," v3.07 (c) 1995. I think there are newer versions specifcially for Windows XP, but I don't have a copy.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think it may not be this app, but rather the WINE installation. It is a little flaky at present and I have not been able to determine what is going wrong.

- Bill
Dan Kegel

SetWindowsHookEx16

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:37 AM, JWilliamCupp <[email protected]> wrote:
It is called "GradeBook for Windows," v3.07 (c) 1995.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think it may not be this app, but
rather the WINE installation. It is a little flaky at present
and I have not been able to determine what is going wrong.
Try
rm -rf .wine
and reinstalling your apps.

Does notepad work?

What's the symptom -- how is GradeBook misbehaving?
JWilliamCupp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JWilliamCupp »

The problem is that, sometimes, the app will not launch at all. I think it's a WINE problem, because when this happens none of my Windows applications work. I think some application (or possibly some configuration in WINE) is causing something to be left or set incorrectly, which causes WINE to fail on subsequent launches.

The work around I'm using is to delete the ~/.wine folder, then launch WineFile to create a new one. I keep the ~/.wine/c_drive folder from the old one and move it to the new copy of ~/.wine which protects me from having to reinstall everything each time. (I'm confident this does not bring the problem along, though, because WINE works for a while -- different applications -- after re-importing the c_drive folder.)

It might not be Gradebook at all that is the source of the problem. However, it is the Win application I used most often, and after some period of time, WINE fails and I have to re-create the .wine folder. Sometimes it fails after a few uses, sometimes after a dozen or even more.

Any clues on how I might troubleshoot this further?

- Bill
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

SetWindowsHookEx16

Post by austin987 »

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM, JWilliamCupp
<[email protected]> wrote:
The problem is that, sometimes, the app will not launch at all. I think it's a WINE problem, because when this happens none of my Windows applications work. I think some application (or possibly some configuration in WINE) is causing something to be left or set incorrectly, which causes WINE to fail on subsequent launches.

The work around I'm using is to delete the ~/.wine folder, then launch WineFile to create a new one. I keep the ~/.wine/c_drive folder from the old one and move it to the new copy of ~/.wine which protects me from having to reinstall everything each time. (I'm confident this does not bring the problem along, though, because WINE works for a while -- different applications -- after re-importing the c_drive folder.)

It might not be Gradebook at all that is the source of the problem. However, it is the Win application I used most often, and after some period of time, WINE fails and I have to re-create the .wine folder. Sometimes it fails after a few uses, sometimes after a dozen or even more.

Any clues on how I might troubleshoot this further?

- Bill

If keeping your drive_c doesn't cause problems, it seems to be
something in the registry. Can you try backing up a clean copy of the
registry (~/.wine/{user,userdef,system}.reg) and then once you have a
corrupted copy, running diff to see what exactly is getting corrupted?