Updating to 0.9.59 (source) from 0.9.58 (synaptic)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

I installed Wine from Synapitc Packet Manager on Ubuntu 7.10. Currently it's version 0.9.58, but I can't wait for binaries and want to compile and install version 0.9.59 from source. Will it break my current installation? Will my programs (Steam, Audiosur, Peggle Extreme) need to be removed and reinstalled?

Also, it seems that Ubuntu repository servers are down now, because I can't connect to them or they have no valid data.
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

On 08/04/2008, Fazer <[email protected]> wrote:
I installed Wine from Synapitc Packet Manager on Ubuntu 7.10. Currently it's version 0.9.58, but I can't wait for binaries and want to compile and install version 0.9.59 from source. Will it break my current installation? Will my programs (Steam, Audiosur, Peggle Extreme) need to be removed and reinstalled?
You can compile it in your home directory and then run it from there.

Also, it seems that Ubuntu repository servers are down now, because I can't connect to them or they have no valid data.
Perhaps a forum sticky saying "BUDGETDEDICATED IS DOWN"?

- d.
vitamin

Re: Updating to 0.9.59 (source) from 0.9.58 (synaptic)

Post by vitamin »

Fazer wrote:I installed Wine from Synapitc Packet Manager on Ubuntu 7.10. Currently it's version 0.9.58, but I can't wait for binaries and want to compile and install version 0.9.59 from source. Will it break my current installation?
No, if you don't install compiled version. You can run Wine directly from the source directory. Then you will have old version installed and the new version compiled.
Fazer wrote:Will my programs (Steam, Audiosur, Peggle Extreme) need to be removed and reinstalled?
No. You might need to run 'wineprefixcreate' if you have any problems.
Fazer wrote:Also, it seems that Ubuntu repository servers are down now, because I can't connect to them or they have no valid data.
Yes that server is having some problems. But that's all we know.
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

vitamin wrote: No, if you don't install compiled version. You can run Wine directly from the source directory. Then you will have old version installed and the new version compiled.
I don't understand. I don't want to run on the old version of Wine. I want to update/install the new one without losing data from the old one. Can you tell me exactly how to do it?
vitamin wrote: Yes that server is having some problems. But that's all we know.
Glad to hear that, at least you are aware of it.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Fazer wrote:
vitamin wrote: No, if you don't install compiled version. You can run Wine directly from the source directory. Then you will have old version installed and the new version compiled.
I don't understand. I don't want to run on the old version of Wine. I want to update/install the new one without losing data from the old one. Can you tell me exactly how to do it?
Remove the old Wine package via your package manager. Then compile and install Wine from source.
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

Ok, I removed the old version through Synaptic and configured and compiled the new one. Do I have to type now "dpkg -r wine" or "rpm -e wine" or "make uninstall" to before "make install"? Will my programs (Steam) stay on the disc?
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

I installed a new version without uninstalling the old one, but Steam games stopped launching. So I uninstalled them, then Steam through "wine uninstaller", then Wine through "make uninstall". I typed "make install" and reinstalled Steam. I downloaded Peggle Extreme, which weights only one Imperial Peggle :-D and it ran fine, but there was no sound. I noticed the Wine configurator disappeared from the menu, so I run it by winecfg, went to Sound and there was a message about unavaible Alsa driver and do I want to delete it's registry data. I clicked "Yes" and saw I had only OSS and NAS driver. Now whenever I click on "Test audio", I got a message "Audio test failed!". What can I do to fix it?
Fazer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fazer »

I looked at this site http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages and downloaded lots of missing libraries, some of them were related to sound. I reconfigured, recompiled and reinstall Wine and now I have sound in Peggle Extreme, which works flawlessly and Audiosurf (which crashes from time to time and has messed up file browser).