Wine menu in Windows application

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

Hi!

Here something I noticed:

When using the application, most of the menu points are missing (this means I can save using the icon, the corresponding menu item is missing, the menu item "back" is missing although CTRL +Z (on a German keyboard) is working).

Now, Wine's menu is being added see screenshot. The screenshot had been taken on Crossover but since it definitely comes from Wine I may have an answer quicker here.

Does anyone know where the menu comes from??

Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Timeout <[email protected]> wrote:
When using the application, most of the menu points are missing (this means I can save using the icon, the corresponding menu item is missing, the menu item "back" is missing although CTRL +Z (on a German keyboard) is working).

Now, Wine's menu is being added see screenshot. The screenshot had been taken on Crossover but since it definitely comes from Wine I may have an answer quicker here.

Does anyone know where the menu comes from??

[Image: http://www.uebersetzen.at/Wine/Menu.png ]
Sorry, we can't quite tell what the problem you're describing is.
Can you supply a screenshot from Windows?
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

I am asking where the Wine about comes from.

It could help me to know where it comes from to know if I had to copy some file in another directory to get the full menu.

Image[/img]
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Timeout <[email protected]> wrote:
I am asking where the Wine about comes from.

It could help me to know where it comes from to know if I had to copy some file in another directory to get the full menu.
No such easy fix, sorry.

OK, so your problem seems clear when comparing
http://www.uebersetzen.at/Wine/Menu.png
and
http://www.uebersetzen.at/Wine/under_win.png
Three menus are missing: Edit, Workbench, and Windows.
Have I stated it correctly?
- Dan
mikolajz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikolajz »

The menu under the icon is a Wine MDI menu that is provided by the user32 DLL. However the other menu items should be provided by the application so I don't think the problem is related to this menu. You could try to unmaximize the the inner Windows (use the restore button in the second row on the right) and check if that changes anything.
vitamin

Re: Wine menu in Windows application

Post by vitamin »

Timeout wrote:Here something I noticed:
What Wine version is that?
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

It was the nighty of 29.03. I don't know which version.

It must be quite new because 0.9.56 is not showing it, however it's much more unstable.

Other points menu items menu are probably coming from Word because if you unroll them, they have the same entries as Word and the macros when using Word (this I will only know when Word won't throw an error when loading the template). The menu "Workbench" is the list of the macros of the template, only showing as symbols.

This menu is however not seen anywhere else.

What I am missing most is the save as.. function.
Although you can click on the "save" icon, save as missing means that one can't give a name or that the bilingual text has to be cleaned in Workbench and can't be directly saved.

Edit: Even the menu items that you are seeing there are really backbone and sometimes not even having the same wording. I suspect that Trados here only came with it's own menu as symbol and is using Window's typical menu for usual functions, adding some of its own like "save target as" to "save as".
Otherwise you find the same functions like for instance to retrieve the 5 last opened documents.
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

mikolajz wrote:The menu under the icon is a Wine MDI menu that is provided by the user32 DLL. However the other menu items should be provided by the application so I don't think the problem is related to this menu. You could try to unmaximize the the inner Windows (use the restore button in the second row on the right) and check if that changes anything.
If I unmaximize the Window, I have two Windows with two scroll bars. One (the main) has the Linux layout and the small the blue Windows layout.
The two scrollbars are confusing me so I work only with full window.

You are right, the Wine's menu only appears when maximizing - on 0.9.56 too.
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Timeout <[email protected]> wrote:
It was the nighty of 29.03. I don't know which version.

It must be quite new because 0.9.56 is not showing it, however it's much more unstable.
Could you try with 0.9.57 and 0.9.58, and see which version introduced
the problem?
What I am missing most is the save as.. function.
Whoa. You mean individual menu entries are missing as well as whole menus?
You didn't show that in your two screenshots. Can you send
screenshots of the File menu in both Linux and Windows?
- Dan
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine menu in Windows application

Post by Timeout »

Dan Kegel wrote: Could you try with 0.9.57 and 0.9.58, and see which version introduced
the problem?
I found it later on that it's the same on 0.9.56. it's tricky to get it appear because it only appears when maximizing the window containing the text.
You didn't show that in your two screenshots. Can you send
screenshots of the File menu in both Linux and Windows?
I will do. For windows it may take a while longer.

y.
Timeout
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Timeout »

I don't get it:

today, I have the FULL menu (including Wine menu) + menu similar to Word (without Word installed).
The only thing I did was to process a ttx. file (the format of Tag Editor) through Workbench using the macros of the template and now the template seemed to have filled the missing parts.

Won't take long before you don't need a stamp on pictures to know it's from Wine ;-)

Next trick in my Trados Box to fire up a menu. Get the target file processed.Image