recently moved to 1.1.25, no wine-pthread command

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Pro_D

Post by Pro_D »

I have done some reading and gather than wine-pthread was dropped somewhere around 1.1.19.

Problem I have is that I have an application (newsleecher) which effectively never starts up (gave it 10 minutes at one point, used 100% cpu the whole time) with strait wine command on the older wine version, I think 1.0.something, came with ubuntu 8.04 in one of the unsupported repositories. It starts up in a reasonable time frame (up to 30 seconds) with wine-pthread but that command isn't available in 1.1.25.

Is there a way to force pthread in wine 1.1.25? I hunted the man pages and google to no avail. Some sites implied that since 1.1.19 or so it's been automatic but 1.1.25 it doesn't seem to be the case considering the program's behavior as of now.

I moved to this version as apparently the version I had contained a bug with ssl.
Pro_D

Post by Pro_D »

I didn't see an option to edit my post so I am posting a new one with an update.

I started the program, did other things for about 5 minutes, checked and it hadn't loaded, walked away from the system for 30 or so minutes, came back and newsleecher had finished loading (this is what wine-pthread fixed). A subsequent test (uninstall/reinstall, one person claimed it helped for this program under wine) and the app is taking between 15 and 30 minutes (closer to 15 but more than) to startup, compared with 30 seconds w/pthread.

Additionally I still can't make secure connection from the program. I don't know of any other windows apps I could try to test wine for ssl (thereby eliminating wine). If someone knows of another application I could put my hands on (ie open source) that does ssl encryption I can try it under wine to determine if the problem is wine or the program. My bet is the program but I would like to be sure. I tried openssl under regular linux and ssl seems to be working.
Pro_D

Last update (still need assistance, may want to start here)

Post by Pro_D »

OK, so I found openssl binaries for windows, installed them (and the VC++ 2008 redistributables) and tested ssl with openssl. I know I was using the windows version as the windows and linux version I have are different.

Test worked.

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling newsleecher again, now it works EXCEPT it still starts SLOWLY.

So, original problem remains with no solution: wine-pthread needed (well, some way to force pthread in wine). I did find one entry where someone made a backup copy of wine-pthread from an older wine install and that works for them but I am not that good with linux yet. I suppose I could uninstall wine, disable wine repositories for latest version, and lock myself in on whatever version comes with 8.04 from official repositories.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Pro_D wrote:
OK, so I found openssl binaries for windows, installed them (and the VC++ 2008 redistributables) and tested ssl with openssl. I know I was using the windows version as the windows and linux version I have are different.

Test worked.

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling newsleecher again, now it works EXCEPT it still starts SLOWLY.

So, original problem remains with no solution: wine-pthread needed (well, some way to force pthread in wine). I did find one entry where someone made a backup copy of wine-pthread from an older wine install and that works for them but I am not that good with linux yet. I suppose I could uninstall wine, disable wine repositories for latest version, and lock myself in on whatever version comes with 8.04 from official repositories.
Wine pthread is dead, gone and not going to return because Linux and
UNIX both do not support it anymore. If you really, really, really need
it, get Wine 1.0.1 for now.

James McKenzie
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Pro_D<[email protected]> wrote:
I started the program, did other things for about 5 minutes, checked and it hadn't loaded, walked away from the system for 30 or so minutes, came back and newsleecher had finished loading (this is what wine-pthread fixed).  A subsequent test (uninstall/reinstall, one person claimed it helped for this program under wine) and the app is taking between 15 and 30 minutes (closer to 15 but more than) to startup, compared with 30 seconds w/pthread.
Please file a bug.

--
-Austin
Frédéric Delanoy

Post by Frédéric Delanoy »

On 07/09/2009 04:45 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
Pro_D wrote:

Test worked.

James McKenziep
In this case, may I suggest removing/adapting text in Wine Developer's Guide - ch8 ?
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

2009/7/9 Frédéric Delanoy <[email protected]>:
In this case, may I suggest removing/adapting text in Wine Developer's Guide - ch8 ?
A lot of the developer's guide is outdated. The whole thing needs an overhaul.

--
-Austin
Pro_D

Re: recently moved to 1.1.25, no wine-pthread command

Post by Pro_D »

James McKenzie wrote:Pro_D wrote:

Test worked.

James McKenzie
mkay, back I go!

btw: If pthreads is dead in linux, how come it still works? Also it wasn't long ago that I did development for parallel applications and we used the pthread library (linux machines). What method of threading is replacing pthreads in linux?

Thanks much!
austin987 wrote: ...
Please file a bug.

--
-Austin
Can do but I won't be able to use the same machine/os since this is a server system. I will try putting the latest wine on my dev machine and see if the long startup persists before submitting the bug.
Cloudef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cloudef »

PThreads dead? Wtf? I think the PThread binary is now integrated into normal Wine binary.
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

James McKenzie wrote:
Pro_D wrote:

Test worked.

James McKenzie
mkay, back I go!

btw: If pthreads is dead in linux, how come it still works? Also it wasn't long ago that I did development for
parallel applications and we used the pthread library (linux machines). What method of threading is
replacing pthreads in linux?
My mistake. With the most recent Linux kernels, pthreads is the ONLY thread method supported. Thus, there is no need for wine-pthreads anymore. I don't know how to access the current Wine threading methods, but they are all pthread based.

James McKenzie