Sneaky Windows install through Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
amake

Sneaky Windows install through Wine

Post by amake »

Hello. I tried to search for an answer to this question, but found it difficult to phrase in a way that wouldn't bury the pertinent information in an avalanche of more common usage situations.

My situation is this: My work machine has Windows XP on one partition, and Ubuntu 7.10 on another. Windows is so horribly locked down that I can't install a lot of the software that I need to do my job, and for various reasons I'm forced to operate without the help of the IT department. My user does not have admin privileges, so I cannot install most software.

Most of my needs are met by Ubuntu, except for color printing, which I must boot into Windows for. This is annoying, so I would like to install some of the software I use in Ubuntu (OO.o, Gimp, etc.) in Windows as well.

Finally, my question: Is it possible to install Windows software (that requires admin privs to install) into Windows, through Wine in Ubuntu, thereby circumventing the restrictions of my Windows user account?
vitamin

Re: Sneaky Windows install through Wine

Post by vitamin »

amake wrote:Finally, my question:
Is it possible to install Windows software (that requires admin privs to install) into Windows, through Wine in Ubuntu, thereby circumventing the restrictions of my Windows user account?
No.
If anything Wine _will_ break your windows installation if you try to do something like that. Besides Wine can't read native binary registry files so at best you'll get just a bunch of files in some directories. But Wine won't have any problems overwriting number of vital system files with fake Wine files.
amake

Post by amake »

Ok, thank you!