Wine just changes screen resolution.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
LeLaTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeLaTe »

I'm quite new to Ubuntu and so to Wine too. So I installed Oblivion using Wine, and everything went well. But when I tried to run the game, nothing else happened but the screen resolution changed to 640x480. That happened when I clicked "Launch Game" on the start up menu of the game. Should I change some conffigurations or something?
Daemon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Daemon »

Terminal output. Capture this by running your program in terminal from the app directory with:

$ wine your_app.exe &> log.txt 2>&1

http://wiki.winehq.org/ForumGuidelines

--------------------------------------
LeLaTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeLaTe »

late@late-desktop:~$ wine oblivion.exe
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\oblivion.exe": Module not found

And when I copyed Oblivion.exe there:

late@late-desktop:~$ wine oblivion.exe
err:module:import_dll Library binkw32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\oblivion.exe") not found
err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx8.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_36.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_36.dll", try using the native one instead.
err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx9_36.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_27.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_27.dll", try using the native one instead.
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\oblivion.exe" failed, status c0000135
Daemon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Daemon »

It only works if you change to the directory where Oblivion.exe IS unless it's in the environment path....or create an custom application launcher in the panel or in the terminal type....
Ex.
env WINEPREFIX="/home/(username)/.wine" wine "D:\Path\to\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe"

--------------------
????????????????????????????
LeLaTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeLaTe »

I'm not sure at all that I did what I was supposed to but:

late@late-desktop:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/late/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe"
err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx8.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_36.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_36.dll", try using the native one instead.
err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx9_36.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_27.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_27.dll", try using the native one instead.
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 6:07 PM, LeLaTe<[email protected]> wrote:
I'm not sure at all that I did what I was supposed to but:

late@late-desktop:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/late/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe"
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
'winetricks d3dx9'

--
-Austin
LeLaTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeLaTe »

I did a bit of Googling, and didn't quite understand how to get and instal winetricks d3dx9. I would apreciate, if someone could explain me what to do.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM, LeLaTe<[email protected]> wrote:
I did a bit of Googling, and didn't quite understand how to get and instal winetricks d3dx9. I would apreciate, if someone could explain me what to do.
$ wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks
$ sh winetricks d3dx9

--
-Austin
LeLaTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LeLaTe »

The line of errors is narrowing down, but still there's something wrong.
err:module:import_dll Library binkw32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system\\Oblivion.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system\\Oblivion.exe" failed, status c0000135
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 8:05 PM, LeLaTe<[email protected]> wrote:
The line of errors is narrowing down, but still there's something wrong.
err:module:import_dll Library binkw32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system\\Oblivion.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system\\Oblivion.exe" failed, status c0000135
Does:
$ wget http://www.radgametools.com/down/Bink/RADTools.exe
$ wine RADTools.exe /s

fix it?

--
-Austin
Daemon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Daemon »

LeLaTe wrote:The line of errors is narrowing down, but still there's something wrong.
How did Oblivion.exe get in \windows\system? File diffusion perhaps?!
Binkw32.dll is installed in the game directory when you install Obv.
DL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DL »

I suggest you just start again if you are getting binkw32.dll errors.Remove your wine prefix (rm -rf ~/.wine) and re-install.After you've installed oblivion, run "wine Oblivion.exe" from the installed oblivion directory, under a terminal.Check the terminal output and you'll see errors with d3dx9_*.dll.Get hold of this DLL either through another windows installation or just google it.Don't bother installing the full directx installation as it can cause additional problems.
Oh and the appdb page http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=7506 suggests another way of getting hold of the required DLL.