Mapped network drive in wine.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
petter

Post by petter »

First sorry for my bad English.

I have a Windows software that needs to access a mapped network drive in Wine complains that he does not view the network drive (it needs to see this: / / server / folder).

I tried to map the network drive using explorer.exe of Wine, but when I access the menu in "mapping the network drive" complains the error: "No network drive."

I looked around the internet and not found the solution, somebody knows how fix this?

I use the Ubuntu 9:04 with Wine 1.1.21.
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

petter
Sent: May 20, 2009 12:55 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Wine] Mapped network drive in wine.

First sorry for my bad English.
Your English is just fine.
I have a Windows software that needs to access a mapped network drive in Wine complains that he does not view the network drive (it needs to see this: / / server / folder).
If you are attempting to access UNC formatted drives, Wine does not do this, directly. You can map in Wine to a lettered drive, the results from Samba.
I tried to map the network drive using explorer.exe of Wine, but when I access the menu
in "mapping the network drive" complains the error: "No network drive."
This is not supported, yet.

James McKenzie
vitamin

Re: Mapped network drive in wine.

Post by vitamin »

petter wrote:I have a Windows software that needs to access a mapped network drive in Wine complains that he does not view the network drive (it needs to see this: / / server / folder).
Mount it using samba then point Wine there mapping one of the drives to that mount in winecfg.

If you can't convince this app to use disk instead of UNC path, then it might or might not work:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.wine/dosdevices/unc/server
ln -s /mnt/server_folder ~/.wine/dosdevices/unc/server/folder
Where "/mnt/server_folder" is the share mounted with Samba.
gamblor01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gamblor01 »

If you are *ONLY* using Wine to map the network drive then this is not necessary. You can just map the drive with the mount command. Something like this would do the trick (assuming the directory /mnt/windows already exists):

mount -t smbfs -o username=Administrator,password=yourPasswordHere //server/folder /mnt/windows
petter

Post by petter »

Thank you all for the reply, I already have done the following in my fstab I have the server mapped as follows:

//ip_server/folder 	  /media/ti 	cifs rw,iocharset=utf8,user=domain/user,passwd=password,uid=user  0   0
Thus, in Wine I can open and use the files from the server without problems.
The major difficulty is that my ERP (which can not be changed) search some files (such images, text, etc) using the path:

\\server\folder\file
Wine And obviously he is not in this way.
But if there is no way, anyone know any other app for Linux (Ubuntu) I can run this ERP and finally banned from my Windows computer?

Very thanks for help me.
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

petter wrote about [Wine] Re: Mapped network drive in wine.
Wine And obviously he is not in this way.
Not yet, but keep on checking back. Look through Wine's BugZilla to see if you can find a bug related to the use of UNC paths in Wine. Create a bugzilla login and vote for the bug.
But if there is no way, anyone know any other app for Linux (Ubuntu) I can run this ERP and
finally banned from my Windows computer?
I don't think you gave us the program name, but you search the Web you might find a Linux based replacement.
Very thanks for help me.
You are very welcome. Sorry that we do not have a solution for your problem today.

James McKenzie
petter

Post by petter »

My ERP is developed in the Oracle Forms and Reports.

Thanks.
flakhany

Post by flakhany »

my erp is also build on Oracle. Fortunately the paths have not been defined in the individual objects like fetching logo. instead everything is available in application folder. I mapped that application folder as a drive in wine and run the erp, but it is not fetching those files.

then i copied whole application on \home and everything is working smoothly. now its impossible for me to copy application to each and every desktop computer in order to use ERP from wine.

I seek guidance in this regard
petter

Post by petter »

Sorry to revive the topic, but I found the solution of the problem for this type of network mapping in Wine, just follow the link http://www.viamais.net/blog/?p=1361 and see the solution.
Tested and seems to work 100%.

Thanks to everyone for help.