Problem: Print to PDF using MS Office

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
O-pos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by O-pos »

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum. One of the reasons I registered was that I could not clarify following question:

I cannot print to PDF using MS Office 2003. I am running it on Wine, I have Ubuntu Intrepid. Of course I can open the same xls or doc file in Open Office, but these files are very precise and sensitive, and OO distorts their fine architecture.

I did not try frank print because I have no printer installed on my computer, but PDF printer works with every application except MS Office.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance !
dimesio

Re: Problem: Print to PDF using MS Office

Post by dimesio »

O-pos wrote:Hello,

I am a new member of this forum. One of the reasons I registered was that I could not clarify following question:

I cannot print to PDF using MS Office 2003. I am running it on Wine, I have Ubuntu Intrepid. Of course I can open the same xls or doc file in Open Office, but these files are very precise and sensitive, and OO distorts their fine architecture.

I did not try frank print because I have no printer installed on my computer, but PDF printer works with every application except MS Office.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance !
Exactly what "PDF printer" are you using? CUPS-PDF should work fine with Office 2003, but I don't know about any other packages.
perryh

Post by perryh »

"O-pos" <[email protected]> wrote:
I cannot print to PDF using MS Office 2003 ...
I did not try frank print because I have no printer
installed on my computer ...
If all else fails, MS Office should be able to "print to disk" in
PostScript format, which can then be made into a PDF on the Linux
side.
O-pos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by O-pos »

Nothing works. When I click File -> Print, I get the message:

"No printers are installed. For information about installing a printer, click Show Help".

But it works well with native linux applications (like Firefox, or OOO): File -> Print -> Print to file -> PDF

There is no separate option "print to disc". There is just "save" and "save as"
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

O-pos wrote:Nothing works. When I click File -> Print, I get the message:

"No printers are installed. For information about installing a printer, click Show Help".

But it works well with native linux applications (like Firefox, or OOO): File -> Print -> Print to file -> PDF

There is no separate option "print to disc". There is just "save" and "save as"
Many native Linux apps have the ability to print to PDF builtin. Most Windows apps don't--Office 2003 can't print to PDF by itself in Windows either. You need to install CUPS-PDF.
O-pos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by O-pos »

I did not know that I did not have cups-pdf. I installed it and things moved one step further. Now file-> print -> I get a window which looks similar to what we are used in windows when we print something, with options like "all", "current page", "number of copies", "pager per sheet" etc..

But after that it stops working. None of the buttons work properly - they return error messages. Hitting "ok" causes following response: "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup". Hitting "properties": "Word cannot bring up the properties because the printer returned an error".

Any ideas? :(
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM, O-pos <[email protected]> wrote:
I did not know that I did not have cups-pdf. I installed it and things moved one step further. Now file-> print -> I get a window which looks similar to what we are used in windows when we print something, with options like "all", "current page", "number of copies", "pager per sheet" etc..

But after that it stops working. None of the buttons work properly - they return error messages. Hitting "ok" causes following response: "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup". Hitting "properties": "Word cannot bring up the properties because the printer returned an error".

Any ideas?  :(

Does printing in 'wine notepad' work? Can you print to cups-pdf from
native programs?

--
-Austin
O-pos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by O-pos »

Thanks. Reistalled cups-printer and now I managed to get .prn files as output, which can be opened by document viewer and looks like pdf, but "landscape" type of pages are turned counterclockwise, as if it went through the printer.

Any way how to convert it to PDF and rotate clockwise back to landscape?