Wine almost immediately crashes X

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
walkeraj

Post by walkeraj »

Okay, so I've done the requisite searching around, and I'm either missing something unbelievably simple, or something funny is going on here.

I'm attempting to run a couple of simple games under Wine 0.9.57 in Gutsy on my new System76 laptop. When I attempt to run either of them, the loading graphic comes up, but the moment they attempt to change to fullscreen, X crashes. No warnings, no output to the terminal, just a brief flash back to a text terminal and then right back to GDM.

So, it's obviously something video related, yet I'm rather surprised X is dying so fantastically in this way. Could the fact that it's a widescreen resolution have something to do with it? How should I begin to diagnose this problem?

Something else that's strange. I've unpacked both of these games into ~/.wine/drive_c/games/<gamedir>, but when I attempt to run either of them, files are copied from <gamedir> into my home directory. In the case of one game (called "La Mulana"), it is a .ini file. In the case of the other, it is two .dlls and an .xm music file that the game plays. This would seem to indicate these files are being copied as they are accessed. Any ideas what's going on here??

System: System 76 Darter Ultra (Asus-built?)

Processor: Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB 4 MB L2
Memory: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ
Display: 12.1" WXGA (1280 x 800)
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
Audio: Realtek ALC 883H
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 8:32 AM, walkeraj <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm attempting to run a couple of simple games under Wine 0.9.57
in Gutsy on my new System76 laptop. When I attempt to run either of
them, the loading graphic comes up, but the moment they attempt
to change to fullscreen, X crashes.
That usually means a graphics driver bug or kernel mismatch.
System: System 76 Darter Ultra (Asus-built?)

Processor: Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB 4 MB L2
Memory: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ
Display: 12.1" WXGA (1280 x 800)
Audio: Realtek ALC 883H
Does glxgears work ok?
- Dan
walkeraj

Post by walkeraj »

Yes, glxgears works just fine.
861 frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.082 FPS
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

On 22/03/2008, walkeraj <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm attempting to run a couple of simple games under Wine 0.9.57 in Gutsy on my new System76 laptop. When I attempt to run either of them, the loading graphic comes up, but the moment they attempt to change to fullscreen, X crashes. No warnings, no output to the terminal, just a brief flash back to a text terminal and then right back to GDM.
So, it's obviously something video related, yet I'm rather surprised X is dying so fantastically in this way. Could the fact that it's a widescreen resolution have something to do with it? How should I begin to diagnose this problem?
If Wine crashes X, then it's because of a video driver problem. Wine
will never be able to crash X if the video driver is working properly.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Linux , this chip
has proper open source drivers in the Xorg server. So this is likely a
reportable bug. I'm not sure who you'd report it to in the first
instance ... If you can reproduce it, you might report it to Ubuntu
first. Dunno what they'd need to do something with the bug report ...

- d
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM, walkeraj <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes, glxgears works just fine.
861 frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.082 FPS
Are you sure you have the correct driver? That is horribly slow on a
modern machine. I get 4 times that on my core2 laptop with intel
graphics.

John
walkeraj

Post by walkeraj »

Okay. After pushing to the beta of "Hardy heron", one of the games works (albeit extremely slow and without sound effects) and the other fails without crashing X, so I suppose this thread is over, though I am still getting those slow framerates you spoke of with glxgears in -fullscreen, and they also do not appear to change size in fullscreen. Still, it seems these are graphics driver issues with this particular machine now and I will have to go elsewhere to try and get them sped up. The question now becomes: do I report this bug or leave it alone?

At any rate, thanks for your help :)
Chad
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine almost immediately crashes X

Post by Chad »

walkeraj wrote: Something else that's strange. I've unpacked both of these games into ~/.wine/drive_c/games/<gamedir>, but when I attempt to run either of them, files are copied from <gamedir> into my home directory. In the case of one game (called "La Mulana"), it is a .ini file. In the case of the other, it is two .dlls and an .xm music file that the game plays. This would seem to indicate these files are being copied as they are accessed. Any ideas what's going on here??
Are you running the games from the directory they are located in? If you actually cd into the directory where the .exe is and then launch the game from there does it behave normally?
vitamin

Re: Wine almost immediately crashes X

Post by vitamin »

walkeraj wrote:Okay. After pushing to the beta of "Hardy heron", one of the games works (albeit extremely slow and without sound effects) and the other fails without crashing X, so I suppose this thread is over, though I am still getting those slow framerates you spoke of with glxgears in -fullscreen, and they also do not appear to change size in fullscreen. Still, it seems these are graphics driver issues with this particular machine now and I will have to go elsewhere to try and get them sped up. The question now becomes: do I report this bug or leave it alone?

At any rate, thanks for your help :)
There are no Wine bugs that I can see here. If you don't have properly installed video drivers and Wine running slow - it's not Wine's problem. Especially that you indicated not just Wine but glxgears is slow. That absolutely has nothing to do with Wine.
walkeraj

Post by walkeraj »

I should have been more clear. By "report this bug" I was referring to whatever graphics bug was causing the problem outside of wine. An interesting question, though: is the new version of wine not compatible with the Gutsy release of Ubuntu? Even after adding the wine repositories, the latest version still appears as 0.9.46.