Can't connect USB Serial (COM3)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
donde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donde »

Wine does great job for GUI on screen (PC Oscilloscope) But, can't USB connect to external hardware device that has FTDI 245AM chip in it. See device in /dev/ttyUSB0. See device in lsusb, also in lsmod. Did normal linking, ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~ /.wine/dosdevices/com3. No luck. See the link with: ls -al dosdevices. Using COM3 because it's in Windows registry, for when the application comes up in Windows, it says USB Serial (COM3). This is the choice that works. Wish it would in Ubuntu. No choice comes up at all.
The application has one main .exe file. Other files are just graphics. I guess all of the I/O is in the .exe, just for Windows.
Any help?
Thanks, donde
Last edited by donde on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ratax »

You might try doing a:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS2

In this way, wine, acts as if a native port.

I hope to help you the answer.

Bye...
donde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donde »

Ratax,
No that did not work. I think any link has to show up in .wine/dosdevices.

I've been at this for hours, and a medium newbie doesn't help.

thanks, donde
Ratax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ratax »

jejeje ...

I would say I am not so novice. I had this same problem two years ago by trying to run a satellite communications program in linux for my work. After much testing and reading this was how they get it to work the software.

Anyway, I wish you luck and hope you do not have to keep looking for a lot...

Bye...
donde
Level 1
Level 1

STILL CAN'T CONNECT

Post by donde »

Hey Guys and Gals !

I can't believe so many are having similar USB Serial Port problems with so little help that results in success. My device is called OPTAscope by Parallax, the maker of the famous STAMP products.They also have a very inexpensive, but great PC Oscilloscope. Of course it works in Windows. The GUI works fine with Wine, but no connect. Parallax has no intension of supporting Linux. The designer of the software has long since left the company. Parallax bought the rights from Optimum Design. They now call it Parallax Oscilloscope, but it's the same thing as the OPTAscope.

Hasn't anyone in this giant Wine community ever played with either of these scopes and got them working under Wine, preferably using Ubuntu 8.10? Or if you did and it was a lost cause, please let me know, and I'll give up and go back into the woodwork. Any pertinent comments would be appreciated.

donde

zonyl

Post by zonyl »

I have the a similar problem with a FTDI device (OBD II car scanner) on Ibex 8.10. Everything worked fine with WINE on Feisty Fawn.

First of all the VAGCOM software (free download if someone wants to reproduce) sort of works in that it will open the port send / receive data on the first command. However, after the first communication attempt, all subsequent operations in the program will fail (including the original working one). Closing/Reloading the program in WINE will still fail even on the first command that originally worked and the port becomes useless to WINE for any program.

HOWEVER, if you unload / reload the usbserial module (rmmod usbserial, then unplug - replug the device) you can get it back to the same "First Command Works" scenario. *Note: That reloading the ftdi doesnt solve the problem, only if you go further down the chain.

I would suspect at this point that it is not necessarily WINE that is causing this, but some regression problem in the Linux usbserial module in 8.10.
donde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donde »

zonyl

The problem is also in 8.04.1. Don't have earlier versions up right now. Should I just download the VAGCOM software and let Wine execute it? And then put in the linking command
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com3 Bring up the oscilloscope program.

And see what happens?

Thanks...donde
folderol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by folderol »

I have a similar problem with a real serial port with ubuntu 9.04, so I suspect it's not a FTDI problem - besides the USB>serial translation itself is done in the host system not in wine.

Connecting to another computer I have no problems sending data back and forth via gtkterm or cutecom in any linux distro.

I've tried several serial port readers in wine and they all suffer the same problem. They send data fine but can't reliably receive it. As you say, the very first receive seems fine but then characters get lost from the begining of a line, then it gets progressively worse :(

I have 3 programs that are windows only and use the serial port so I would dearly love to be able to junk my windows partition!
nerdful_things

Post by nerdful_things »

I have been pursuing this for 2 days, and your post might help. Amazing you posted so recently.
I was just about to post in the forums, and I had just emailed an apparent successful user in the appdb.
I may just need help with pointing to my ports, as you have been showing above.
I have a USB astronomy imager, SBIG st-2000xcm, works in XP.
When done installing app and app driver finder from SBIG (Ccdops) all installs but when plugging in the camera nothing happens.

I came to winehq here because someone says it is platinum running in wine on Ubuntu.
I started out with my main system and PCLinuxOS 2009 and the exact symptoms.

Maybe I am very close, could one of you tell me how to point my WINE entity to my USB port? Now I know you are talking usb/rs232, but maybe the other guy can point me in right direction. Here is my lsusb: I am only lightly familiar with linux code details, but no longer a noob.
$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0d97:0001 Santa Barbara Instrument Group SBIG Astronomy Camera (without firmware)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c512 Logitech, Inc. LX-700 Cordless Desktop Receiver
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 124b:4d01 Nyko (Honey Bee) Airflo EX Joystick
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Maybe a kernel thing? I haven't tried an older kernel yet on my pclos. I installed the latest Ubuntu to pursue this.

I also have plenty of boxes to play with.

P.S. I have orig STAMP, and always wanted a PC scope to replace my bulky Tektronix, how is it?
yardleydobon

I've got it working

Post by yardleydobon »

:D
I have the Parallax USB Oscilloscope working in Debian Lenny/Linux 2.6.26-2-686,
WINE version: wine-1.0.1-174-gc4039bd
:D

I didn't have to do any compiling or anything like that, I'm simply using the version
of WINE that comes from the Debian repository with apt-get. I think it'll probably
work on Ubuntu too.

Ratax's suggestion is part of the solution. I think someone owes him an apology.
Some entries have to be added to the registry as well.

Sometimes the program is very slow if you start it with the scope plugged in.
Starting the program before plugging in seems to fix this problem.

I've posted a thorough how to on my blog.
http://jethomson.wordpress.com/2009/10/ ... e-in-wine/
playmaker21

Post by playmaker21 »

Try to add or remove hardware option in your control panel.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

yardleydobon wrote:
I've posted a thorough how to on my blog.
http://jethomson.wordpress.com/2009/10/ ... e-in-wine/

Please update the Applications Database as well.

James McKenzie
n2wz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by n2wz »

It didnt work in my case. The problem is one of my programs requires CTS/DSR lines to be set in HIGH state, if they are in low it just refuses to read the data on the port. AFAIK this is the requirement of the com-port specs.
folderol
Level 1
Level 1

All OK Here Now

Post by folderol »

Just want to say that with wine 1.1.28 I have no problems either with real serial ports or USB ones. Mind you all of my programs only need Tx & Rx.

One problem that was leading me astray was that one of the bits of hardware had a crap faked Tx -ve which used a diode. This had a dry joint and the high resistance meant that it took several pulses to build up sufficient voltage :(